NesDS Compatability list?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Pigwooly, Aug 7, 2007.

Aug 7, 2007

NesDS Compatability list? by Pigwooly at 6:58 AM (6,326 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Pigwooly
    OP

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Okay, so this thread is turning into a NesDS incompatibility list. Post any glitches with any games you find here and I will update them in the following list.

Note: The crushing problem on games like Super Mario 3 and Ninja Turtles is the result of scaling to the smaller resolution DS screen and not a problem with the emulator. Messing with the Display resolution settings should fix the problem.

Key:
    Minor aesthetic problems.
    Moderate problems that get in the way of play, but the game can still be completed and enjoyed.
    Unplayable.

Alien Syndrome (U)- Massively garbled graphics
    Baseball Simulator 1.000 (U)- Batter has garbled tiles
    Batman (U)- Batman is replaced by miscellaneous tiles and numbers.
    Battletoads (U)- Missing sound effects such as when you knock enemies away with final giant punch.
    Battletoads & Double Dragon (U)- Same problem as Battletoads
    Castelvania 3 (U) - Missing sound effects such as whip crack.
    Crystalis (U) - Dotted lines spaced evenly across map where it was divided up during creation
    Double Dragon II (U) (E)- Hangs after you complete level 2
    Ducktails (U) - Health/Lifebar is gibberish
    Dusty Diamond All-Star Softball (U)- Batter sprite very garbled
    Earthbound Zero- Doesn't work
    Friday the 13th (U)- Characters are scrambled tiles
    GI Joe (U) - Startup screen has graphical artifacts and then game will not run.
    GI Joe - The Atlantis Factor - Crashes a few seconds in.
    Godzilla - Monster of Monsters! (U) - Several enemies have garbled tiles
    Incredible Crash Test Dummies (U)- Won't Load
    Legend of Zelda (U) - Missing shooting sword sound effects.
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (U) - Lots of garbled graphics.
    Ninja Gaiden (U) - Power up lanterns are replaced with squares.
    Ninja Gaiden 3 (U) - All enemies are invisible.
    Rocket Ranger (U) - Won't load.
    Simpsons- Bart Vs. The Space Mutants (U) - Missing some sounds, Slight garble on title screen
    Star Tropics 2 (U) - Won't Load, screen just flashes white.
    Super Off Road (U)- Top of screen flickers when paused.
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (U) - Missing a lot of sound effects. Mario and Toads heads are crushed.
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) - Powerups appear in front of blocks when coming out of them.
    Super Turrican (E) - Complete Giberish.
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (U) - No characters are visible.

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    It would be easier to make an Incompatability list. Since they are very few games that don't work and / or has graphical bugs.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Has it been updated recently? Last time I tried it, the first couple games I tried didn't work......Turrican, Punch-Out, Rocket Ranger all were unplayable or wouldn't load at all.

But I always did have a knack for finding games that don't work and wanting to play those the most. [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I have over 300 NES games that work with the built-in emu on the Supercard miniSD, so I tend not to complain about nesDS. [​IMG]

4. TeraS

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

i cant run punch out on my r4 properly [​IMG] gfx problems

5. housemonkey

Newcomer housemonkey Advanced Member

United States
    I had problems with:

GI Joe (and the Atlantis factor sequel by Capcom)
    Punch Out
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Dragon Warrior 4
    and Batman looks like hell, but everything (so far) else is playable...

I am sure there are others, but those were the noteworthy games that didn’t work so hot for me so far.

6. Pigwooly
    OP

United States
    Good idea. I'm going to test a bunch out, I'll post any problematic ones that weren't listed to this thread.

7. Jhongerkong

Member Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Startropics 2. It doesnt work.

Its a shame cause its only the BEST GAME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE!

8. zfunk007

Newcomer zfunk007 Member

United States
    Here are a couple of games with issues I noticed:

Ninja Gaiden -a lot of graphic bugs, the lanterns show up as big square pixels and there are some sound issues.
    Ninja Gaiden 3 -unplayable, the enemies are invisible.
    TMNT -has some scaling problems, the turtles faces are missing and look like they are crushed.
    TMNT 2 -unplayable, the title screen and opening scene work fine, but when you enter the game you can't see anything but the background.
    Batman -playable, but Batman himself is a big glob of pixels and what looks like numbers.
    Megaman 2 -perfect except that Megamans head seems crushed.
    Mario 3 -perfect but again, marios head is crushed.

9. Pigwooly
    OP

United States
    What was the problem with Dragon Warrior 4?

10. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Friday the 13th shows the characters in-game as a box of pixels.

11. tomm2cool

Newcomer tomm2cool Advanced Member

Puerto Rico
    Heres my report on wacked out roms using NesDS version 7/31/07:

Baseball Simulator 1.000: Batters are very pixelated, might have other problems but didnt bother checking.
    Rygar: "Gods" in temples have pixel lines on their eyes and body.
    Zelda II: Seems perfect, but I noticed some of the boxes in the LIFE and MAGIC meter seem a bit small. (Ok that might be me just being anal. [​IMG])
    Crystalis: Screen starts to shake during conversations. (Never played the original, so dont know if this was just a glitch in the original)

Also, I noticed while playing roms using NesDS, when I would hit a direction or an action button, the screen would flicker brighter for a sec. Is this a known issue?

12. Airwolf

Newcomer Airwolf Advanced Member

Mexico
    Double Dragon 2 - Unplayable. It hangs after you complete Level 2. Tested with USA and Europe versions.
    Dusty Diamond All-Star Softball - Playable. Screwed graphics with the hitter sprites, aside from that perfectly playable. Gotta love L and R functions in this game after a screwed pitch. [​IMG]

13. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I tried 3 games on my R4, ALL of which were unplayable.

Alien Syndrome (9 ROM variations 6 (J) 3 USA) - (USA) disappearing graphics...(USA/J) cannot fire weapon...unplayable

Rocket Ranger (4 ROM variations (U)) - failed to load at all

Super Turrican (E) - garbled graphics....stuck in one little square....unplayable

All except Rocket ranger DOES play on the built-in emu on my SCminiSD.

It's just exactly like the last time I tried nesDS. I didn't bother to go any further. This program is useless to me as it is.....maybe on the next update it will actually play the games I want to play. Program deleted from my R4.

14. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    the incredible crash dummies or whatever the name is... always mix it up with crash test dummies [​IMG]

anyway, I tried some verison, probably U and it froze!

15. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    On SMB3, Mario's head isn't crushed. You just have to play with the size of the screen a little bit to make it fit properly for DS screen. It'll look fine if you can configure it.

16. tomm2cool

Newcomer tomm2cool Advanced Member

Puerto Rico
    Any suggested settings? [​IMG]

17. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Just go to the screen where you can configure visual stuff. Then touch the screen and slide the stylus around the screen. The upper screen will change size as you move your stylus. It's kinda hard to explain, you gotta find the correct ratio so the graphics won't look crushed. Once you do it, just quicksave and it should save the screen size too.

18. Jhongerkong

Member Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    FF2 and FF3. The translated roms work on ma pc but on the DS, FF2 is messed and FF3 has messed up text but is playable.+

19. zfunk007

Newcomer zfunk007 Member

United States
    I disagree. I think it is an issue with the game and emulator. I have tried what you said with SMB3, SMB2, Megaman 2 and TMNT and while it would work at a certain part of the screen, generally when I moved the character to a different location either higher or lower on the screen their head would go back to being "crushed" again. So it seems like an emulation issue to me.

At any rate, here are a few more games I tested that have a few issues:

Guardian Legend: The status bar at the bottom flickers when a lot of enemies are on screen (I think this may have happend in the original, possibly to reduce slowdown since the game was pretty graphics intensive for the time).

Super Off Road: While in a race the very top of the track is garbled and flickers but the game is still very playable.

LifeForce: Percfect except that the top of the ship is missing (possibly the same "crushing" problem as Mario 3 and TMNT)

Godzilla - Monster of Monsters!: A lot of the enemies appear as garbled pixels on the screen but the game is playable

The Simpsons Bart vs. The Space Mutants: Some garbled graphics here and there and no voices.

I also noticed the issue that tomm2cool was mentioning about the flickering of brightness when you hit a directional key. I noticed that in games with layers it seems to happen in the foreground but not in the background. Strange...

20. Pigwooly
    OP

United States
    Which translation patch are you using? These seemed to work fine for me (although I didn't play very far in).