NEOSD, first NEO GEO Flashcart released

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also agree to that but to some extent. That price is unreasonable, unless you really have a lot of money to spend
Do you have any understanding how much an average Neo Geo game cost?

Game cost aside, there is technical reasons why it hasnt been simple to make a flashcart all these years. The price is worth it to anyone who knows about Neo Geo.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any understanding how much an average Neo Geo game cost?

Game cost aside, there is technical reasons why it hasnt been simple to make a flashcart all these years. The price is worth it to anyone who knows about Neo Geo.
Yes, I know how much. But you're not getting a collectible game by purchasing this. I understand people paying a lot of money for a collectible item, but this isn't even a collectible...

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know how much. But you're not getting a collectible game by purchasing this. I understand people paying a lot of money for a collectible item, but this isn't even a collectible...
This isnt the purpose of this device, far from it. People want to play the entire library of Neo Geo, some carts existed before where it can play almost everything but this is the first time a cart can truly play everything.

You keep on repeating collectible as if thats suppose to be the draw but its purpose is going over your head. It has so much to offer at such a low cost.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then emulate it for free. If you're ok with paying so much for something that you can get for free, then good for you, it's your decision. I'm out of this thread
Emulation is good for people that just want to simply play the games. Flashcarts and everdrives of the sort offer emulator like features to the consoles but most importantly they act native to the hardware thus becoming more accurate like the actual cartridges.

If you aren't interested in playing games accurately or even playing on OEM hardware then sure it isnt for you but you aren't doing it justice to write it off as "unreasonable"

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From the dev's perspective, I can see the reasoning for the price: he probably spent countless hours, days and perhaps even months making the thing, and the playerbase is pretty small. So for a return on investment (or even just to break even? I don't know how much hardware he had to get for this :unknown: ) this isn't so bad.

...what I don't get is why he started working on this to begin with. Is this really a "because I can"-thing?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...what I don't get is why he started working on this to begin with. Is this really a "because I can"-thing?
Because, while it's a niche, it's still a good business decision to enter a market where technically NO competitor exists? :P

Quite interested in this, especially because of the AES emulation mode.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I even bought one recently for 450€ shipped.
Pretty much a no brainer, because there are games that where not released for AES and now i can play em on my AES Neo-Geo.
Before you had to use a MVS, an adaptor or a conversion to archive that.
You can also play the games legally by buying em at GOG.com or the Neo-geoX Megapack or any other compilation where you can get the roms from.

I sold some expenive games i had ( Metal Slug 1 & 2, Art Of Fighting 3, Last Blade 2, Shock troopers 2, Garou and some others ) now i can play thouse again on my AES.

For developing its also nice.

Aside from that i will also look into the Darksoft one if they release an AES version.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want something cheap, there is a ton of neo geo games on playstation and nintendo systems, Nintendo switch shoves one into eshop every thursday and has been since the launch march 3, is only $8 a game but I never buy them since it has NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. But it works perfectly with good options. :P

Ps3 has some, those ports was by M2, the ps4 ones, some of them done by code mystics have online multiplayer. Just saying, nothing about neo geo was ever cheap except maybe the neo geo cd or the pocket system they had. You better off just buying those $8 games. :ninja:

Reactions: cvskid

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want the games cheap you can just download em and emulate em on many systems. Even a slow pentium 200Mhz was able to do that for most games.

The GOG. version games for PC actually contain the roms and did cost 1.20 Euros per game (in pack sale). The Neo-Geo X Megapack contains the roms in Finalburn version i beleave. They on a SD card that has some switched contacts for "copy protection (?)". That pack comes with a snaplock case very close to the original. The NeoSD will fit in that nicely.

The thing with thease are to play the games on original hardware not emulated on other hardware.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just a FYI, the Darksoft flashcard seem to be very buggy from what you can read about it.

The NeoSD Team did anounce a pro version of the NeoSD that will have 4 slots 3 with flash so games stay there but slow flashing and one slot with RAM for fast flashing.
Also offers a USB port for developers to upload from PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Floridawoman is the only thing that can ruin Floridaman +1