Status
Not open for further replies.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't say anywhere that they are called PAL games or NTSC games (or consoles for that matter), I said that PAL or NTSC is the region of the game. Of course they are video formats, I'm not sure why you think anyone doubts that or thinks that PAL and NTSC are strictly there for games. People use PAL and NTSC for the old consoles since that's the video format they use, do you really think they don't know it's just shorthand for being compatible with that format? :P You do realize that a game outputs in either PAL or NTSC for the older consoles, right? These video formats are associated with video games, just not strictly, they are associated with all non-HD content. Also, lots of non-HD games have the NTSC or PAL tag, either on the front cover or the back cover. Here's an example of Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped for PSX: http://images.wikia.com/crashban/images/7/75/Crash_Bandicoot_Warped_Boxart.jpg .

So, just to be clear: I'm well aware that NTSC and PAL are a TV format and that they are only used on games to indicate what region's TVs the game will properly display on.

. Ok I get what you were saying. That's actually what I was trying to convey. It's just that sentence, the way you worded it that I'm having a hard time digesting. XD

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw man, I thought I clicked on the "3DS was hacked" thread. Looks like I went to the NTSC vs PAL discussion thread instead.

Oh wait the title must be wrong. Someone should change it so it reflects what everyone is talking about.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Eur. (As in Europe)
PAL is short for Phase Alternative Line. It is a color encoding system for televisions broadcasting at 576i, IIRC. It's not used (or shouldn't be used) to define a region of a game or console in any way.

At any rate, I define PAL as a region because it is used in many regions, like Australia, Brazil, and many European countries (tons more places too). Many PAL areas are not in Europe so it seems like a poor choice to define a formats release by the region of which it may or may not be a part of.

So for me, it's very easy to define any non-Japan or Non-US release as PAL simply because it lumps everything into one and there are very few issues with doing so for me. If I bought Terranigma from a seller in Australia, it's PAL. If I bought Disaster: Day of Crisis from a seller in the UK, it's PAL. It's just so much easier to go by: Japan, US, and PAL.

Back on track, if licensing on the e-shop wasn't so asinine, we would be able to buy and store multiple games from multiple regions on the same SD card on the 3DS and gaming would be so much more simple. And the whole flashcard=multiple games and region-free issue would diminish.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At any rate, I define PAL as a region because it is used in many regions, like Australia, Brazil, and many European countries (tons more places too). Many PAL areas are not in Europe so it seems like a poor choice to define a formats release by the region of which it may or may not be a part of.

So for me, it's very easy to define any non-Japan or Non-US release as PAL simply because it lumps everything into one and there are very few issues with doing so for me. If I bought Terranigma from a seller in Australia, it's PAL. If I bought Disaster: Day of Crisis from a seller in the UK, it's PAL. It's just so much easier to go by: Japan, US, and PAL.

Back on track, if licensing on the e-shop wasn't so asinine, we would be able to buy and store multiple games from multiple regions on the same SD card on the 3DS and gaming would be so much more simple. And the whole flashcard=multiple games and region-free issue would diminish.

There is also SECAM used in France, Russia and other countries I don't remember. Describing a region by the color encoding system is really lame. My country for example is part of the USA region, but uses PAL-M (The PAL enconding system combined with the NTSC frequency and number of lines).

Reactions: gamefan5 and d.d.d.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
EFnet Web IRC said:
[18:18] <shubshub> hi
[18:26] <yellows8> sup?
[18:26] <shubshub> So how come the news about the kernel access was removed from the main page?
[18:27] <yellows8> uh, fwiw neimod reverted that edit not me.
[18:27] <shubshub> fwiw?
[18:28] <yellows8> for what it's worth.
[18:28] <shubshub> ah
[18:28] <shubshub> But do you know why it was removed?
[18:31] <yellows8> tbh I wouldn't really want anyone to edit the news page with info I mentioned on IRC either - which is why neimod reverted it I assume.
[18:31] <shubshub> ok
[18:31] <shubshub> -snip-
[18:32] <yellows8> -snip-
^^^ There we go

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
There is also SECAM used in France, Russia and other countries I don't remember. Describing a region by the color encoding system is really lame. My country for example is part of the USA region, but uses PAL-M (The PAL enconding system combined with the NTSC frequency and number of lines).
I thought SECAM games would work on PAL systems as well... I can't recall... It's been a long time since I've lived in Europe and had to deal with that stuff back in the NES+SNES days.
I didn't know that about Brazil. I thought it was just regular PAL. Learn something new everyday. :)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does this mean that ppl can play import games on the 3ds or only roms ?
Right now it doesn't mean anything.
Neimod has the freedom to start doing things but they have to learn how to do it, it will take a lot of work.

But arguably it does mean that they may be able to turn-off the region lock, or alternative switch the region of the 3DS so that playing other region titles (or even accessing other region eShops) becomes a possibility.

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am curious to the possibilities of Homebrew, but please, please no piracy. I don't want this awesome handheld to be ruined. Homebrew is fine and I would love that, like a DOS emulator (JAZZ JACKRABBIT ON THE GO HELL YEAH).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am curious to the possibilities of Homebrew, but please, please no piracy. I don't want this awesome handheld to be ruined. Homebrew is fine and I would love that, like a DOS emulator (JAZZ JACKRABBIT ON THE GO HELL YEAH).

Psst- http://www.alister.eu/jazz/oj/download.php

Granted none of those appear so much on the DS (not sure of the state of things as far as Dingux goes) and I believe we are supposed to ignore the GBA game when in polite conversation. Hopefully the 3ds will be able to see a proper port of SDL made.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope that Homebrew developers will get access to the kernel someday :) And I pray that we will get "peek and poke" access to the flash!
Then after that: region lock permanently blown away, Custom themes, installation of packages, and a way to block automatic updates without turning your wireless connection off!
Maybe I wish for too much but hey it doesn't hurt now does it! :D

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really hope that Homebrew developers will get access to the kernel someday :) And I pray that we will get "peek and poke" access to the flash!
Then after that: region lock permanently blown away, Custom themes, installation of packages, and a way to block automatic updates without turning your wireless connection off!
Maybe I wish for too much but hey it doesn't hurt now does it! :D
Just say it, you want the 3DS blown wide open and everyone can get to do it. ^^
I don't blame ya, the 3DS homebrew scene would really flourish when even more people can do R&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp