Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hi,
is there anything in sakura firmware thats is not working properly/missing/expected to be better?
Any input on that would be interesting to know

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew compatibility with the current Sakura release is subpar, to say the least. It's also difficult to access cheat options as it now requires a reset. Soft reset also doesn't work at all. However, the possibility of triple booting Sakura, M3 Real and iTouchDS firmwares on any of those cards works around those issues, but since this is an early release, there is the possibility those problems will be fixed as well.

However, faster loading, touch-screen enabled navigation and an integrated video player and image viewer are welcome additions. In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons for now.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Negative side? It doesn't work with the G6 Real, a more expensive product tons of people bought, been using the same firmware since their release, and probably are pissed about it not getting the new firmware and not going to buy the same brand again... now that a big negative point.

GuardianHX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ridgecity said:
Negative side? It doesn't work with the G6 Real, a more expensive product tons of people bought, been using the same firmware since their release, and probably are pissed about it not getting the new firmware and not going to buy the same brand again... now that a big negative point.

I have hope they'll make a G6Real version sometime, whether it comes out in Japanese format first or not.

They DID go through the trouble of fixing the .sav problem, so maybe, just maybe, they'll find a way to get it working on the G6 with it's internal flash memory.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
need official eng ver
didnt they saw last week they were gonna try to release it in about 1.5 weeks?

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AXYPB said:
Homebrew compatibility with the current Sakura release is subpar, to say the least.

That's not a con for the official release, just of the hacked release. Densetsu3000 said himself that all homebrew works perfectly with the Japanese release.
QUOTEQ: Does M3 Sakura run homebrew?
A: The official Japanese firmware on a Japanese M3 Real runs all homebrew I've tried perfectly, including Moonshell, Pocket Physics, DS Organize, SnemulDS, jEnesisDS, NesDS, Lick's iPod app, DSNotes, Phidias, etc. The M3 Sakura media player also plays DPG videos, MP3s, views JPG, PNGs and TXT files perfectly. Using emulators, it even runs NES, SNES and Genesis ROMs just fine.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
SkH said:
Um. Pokémon Battle Revolution and Pokémon Ranch works with Sakura?

Either that's a question in which case this is definately not the place to put it, or that's a con... but is it? I would've thought that games working would be a pro.

Con: lack of RTS still, broken soft-reset (mentioned above), broken NDS-GBA linkage and small favourites list (compared to iTouch - fixed by triple boot possibly?), and lack of official release (but we're still waiting... patiently...)
Pro: Since this is about the cons of Sakura, the pros are irrelevant.

chaotic_geo

Trophies
Website
thegamingforum.org
XP
Country
I want them to fix the prompt after you enable cheats. Currently, one has to restart the system in order to play with the configured effects. If they can simply revert back to the previous menu after save it would be awesome.

Nagaroth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chaotic_geo said:
I want them to fix the prompt after you enable cheats. Currently, one has to restart the system in order to play with the configured effects. If they can simply revert back to the previous menu after save it would be awesome.

Somehow I have this feeling that we will never see that happen... the fact that the settings screen is actually a separate executable that has to be launched from within the firmware instead of being part of it makes me wonder if that is the reason behind the requirement to reboot (in other words, after launching the settings executable Sakura is unable to end the proccess and return to where it was before).

:/

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I consider that a only negative side so far too..
It is a separate loader from the Sakura, but if you look better, you'll see that video played is also separated from the browser, Sakura is actually browser with many separated parts linked together..I believe it would be possible to reboot Sakura without turning off your NDS..
Or if that's not possible, they should at least make possible to run a ROM you configured from that loader..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the config screen and games most likely make use of the same soft-reset system, but it wasn't working properly so they didn't add it yet.

chaotic_geo

Trophies
Website
thegamingforum.org
XP
Country
Nagaroth said:
chaotic_geo said:

Somehow I have this feeling that we will never see that happen... the fact that the settings screen is actually a separate executable that has to be launched from within the firmware instead of being part of it makes me wonder if that is the reason behind the requirement to reboot (in other words, after launching the settings executable Sakura is unable to end the proccess and return to where it was before).

:/

The system is very similar to the iTouch firmware, and that saves straight away..
wink.gif

chrisruls00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling that the inability to back out to the menu after using the config screen and the inability to soft-reset are connected.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this Japanese version we're hacking the official final release? Because it's really broken. The interface is pretty, sure, but right now the older firmware seems much better.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is the official final release of the first version released, yes. The Triple Boot package allows you to use both Sakura and the older firmware if you need it, but since this is the first release, it should come as no surprise that a lot of things are broken. Remember when the R4 didn't support download play?

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess my problem is more that features that did work on the old firmware don't work on the new one. I hope they keep doing minor fixes on the original firmware until Sakura is fully working.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sakura is pretty, but I find some of the features to be a little unintuitive. I expected to be able to change skins from the options menu rather than having to leave the current folder and navigate into the SYSTEM folder. The first thing I did when I installed Sakura was to hide the SYSTEM folder, but of course then I couldn't figure out how to change skins. I haven't tried it, but I hope you can at least move the "skins" folder elsewhere if you want to hide the SYSTEM folder. It would make sense for them to add an option to the options page that would take you to the "skins" folder even if you have the SYSTEM folder hidden, but then you would want it to take you back to where you were before immediately after you change skins so maybe that wouldn't work.

The rebooting whenever you change an option is definitely an annoyance.

-Bri

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
.skn files can be placed anywhere.
it's even recommended to store them outside the system folder.

they couldn't get the soft-reset function to work properly yet, and they need that to go back from rom settings to m3sakura browser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol