Hacking neek2o support for multiple emunands in USB Loader GX

rhester72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been doing more research while waiting for my USB drive to rebuild (my original crashed hard in December, got to start all over - yay!) - seems for my use case, neek2o + Postloader may actually be a viable answer. I can avoid the System Menu entirely, boot straight in, and with Nintendont support, I get the best of all worlds - Wii on NEEK (that was the part I was super-fuzzy on), Wiiware/VC from NEEK, and GC from Nintendont, which is about as good as it can possibly get from a compatibility perspective - all on a single emunand. Going to explore that route over the next few days, but it will be difficult mentally transitioning from USB Loader GX - it's been good to me for many years!

Will report in with how I make out, but I'd be interested in seeing whether you can reproduce. I'm on NTSC-U, BTW - perhaps the results are different on PAL? Not sure.

Rodney

game_rat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@game_rat: AFAIK, Postloader still uses cIOS even in a NEEK environment, which kinda defeats the point of launching Wii titles with native IOS in NEEK...if I'm wrong, please advise.
Rodney

I'm not so sure that it does but maybe I'm just not understanding what you are saying.

using Postloader from real nand, I can launch the neek2o channel and boot into my emunand where I can run channels with native ios. Although my emunand is large, there is no wait time due to Postloader (installed on neek nand) running in place of the system menu. I'm pretty sure that Postloader (in neek) is not trying to use a cios on the emunand, i don't believe I have a cios installed on the emunand anyway.

using Postloader from real nand, I can view and launch channels located on multiple emunands using cios.

using Postloader from real nand, I can view and launch channels located on an emunand using neek2o mode. When you exit a channel that was launched in neek2o mode, you will exit to the neek system menu.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it will be difficult mentally transitioning from USB Loader GX - it's been good to me for many years!

I've also struggled with this. USB Loader GX just looks so damn good and for the most part, it works great. The active developer for the application is a super cool guy that spends a lot of time on the project and helps a ton of people on these forums. I just seem to have a little more stability with Postloader and it seems that the cios game compatibilty is a little better.

Also, a deal breaker for me with GX is that any real nand channels that you launch will not have access to USB. For example, if I launch WiiMC channel (installed on real nand) from GX, i can't play music located on my USB because the drive isn't recognized. Same with emulators or anything else that needs access to USB. Postloader does not have this problem.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, a deal breaker for me with GX is that any real nand channels that you launch will not have access to USB. For example, if I launch WiiMC channel (installed on real nand) from GX, i can't play music located on my USB because the drive isn't recognized. Same with emulators or anything else that needs access to USB. Postloader does not have this problem.

Why don't you just put the emulators and WiiMC on SD or HDD and use forwarders? I have WiiMC and ScummVM on sd:/apps/ and music/ROMs on USB.

game_rat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just put the emulators and WiiMC on SD or HDD and use forwarders? I have WiiMC and ScummVM on sd:/apps/ and music/ROMs on USB.

My mistake, I meant to say forwarders. In my case, I was launching the WiiMC forwarder from GX and had no access to USB. I believe the same was happening on a Wii Explorer forwarder. Launching from System Menu or Postloader and USB access was there.

I brought it up in the GX thread (link below) and it appeared that a few others were having similar problems.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-841#post-4593979

Probably not fair for me to say this is a widespread GX issue, it's just something that I've experienced while tinkering with the app over the years.

ToneL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@game_rat: AFAIK, Postloader still uses cIOS even in a NEEK environment, which kinda defeats the point of launching Wii titles with native IOS in NEEK...if I'm wrong, please advise.

@XDel: How would that help? NEEK support for Wiiware/VC in USB Loader GX is pretty much flawless.

@GreyWolf: I don't have any problems with WW/VC, just native Wii disc-based images as described earlier, which was the reason for wanting split NANDs in the first place. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only viable solution is two hard drives. I'll grab and post a syscheck, but I'm 99.99% certain it's in good shape. Just Dance sans DLC does indeed work 100% on IOS57 patched - it's only when you involve DLC that you start encountering random freezes with cIOS (discussed to death on past forums for years and years, and NEEK is the only solution I've found yet that actually works).

Rodney
By "disc based images" do you mean actual disc copies or are you talking about images saved as a file (wbfs)? And are you only talking about NEEK usage? My kids have Just Dance 3 & 4 and each have DLC. I've got wbfs images on USB and they run fine even using the DLC. Now if you're saying it won't work with EMUNand or NEEK then my kids might not like me as I'm trying to setup emunand myself.

rhester72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wbfs images. If used with cIOS outside of NEEK, they _will_ lock up, at least on 4.1U. When used within NEEK, they are 100% stable. Same applies to Guitar Hero, etc.

To be clear, I'm talking about DLC on emunand, not real NAND.

Rodney

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: There is a panda in chat.