Hacking Question Need suggestion for playing games on 3.0.2

JWS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is currently on 3.0.2, and since "who knows what would become available", I want to stay on the lowest firmware possible.
The thing is I can play only one out of seven physical games I have because of the minimum firmware issue.
Updating with ChoiDuJour and using autoRCM would be an option for me, but considering how careless I am, I wouldn't consider autoRCM as an option (too risky for me).
Another option, I think, would be installing games with tinfoil (which I heard will bypass the FW), but I don't know if even the games requiring >5.0 (ie. Octopath) would be playable.
So, would someone please let me know if that's possible and also if there is a way to play/install the xci backup I would make?

Last edited by JWS,
D

Deleted User

You can run a lot of games on 3.0.2. One of my switches runs 3.0.1 and I have an entire 400gb SD filled with mostly nsps.
Make sure the games don't utilize master keys above 3.0.1/3.0.2 and you can ignore FW req with tinfoil.

JWS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This part is actually where I'm confused. I know master keys are the ones stopping me from playing games such as revised BOTW or MH generations. Are you saying I would be able to bypass all the master key version including even the latest one (ie. Smash)?

D

Deleted User

No. tinfoil only ignores firmware reqs, not masterkey reqs. For example, if a game or update requires 6.1.0 but only uses master key from 3.0.1/3.0.2, ignoring firmware with tinfoil will work.

JWS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay, I didn't know that FW requirement and master key requirement were two separate things.
Is there any way to figure out which game requires which master key?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's technically possible to add newer master keys to older firmwares with exosphere, but even then most games with a newer master key aren't compatible with older firmwares and won't run

D

Deleted User

Oh okay, I didn't know that FW requirement and master key requirement were two separate things.
Is there any way to figure out which game requires which master key?
google "switch backup manager github". It'll tell you everything you need to know about your nsps

Reactions: JWS

JWS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
google "switch backup manager github". It'll tell you everything you need to know about your nsps

Whoa it seems that tool is literally giving me all the info that I need!
I actually was gonna just wait until Atmosphere supports emunand but will see what I can do with that tool.
Really appreciate your help!

D

Deleted User

No worries mate! Yes, you can't play any hot recent releases like Diablo or SSBU, but you could literally spend hundreds of hours on Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta, Resident Evil, etc. while you wait for a proper emuNAND solution.

JWS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries mate! Yes, you can't play any hot recent releases like Diablo or SSBU, but you could literally spend hundreds of hours on Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta, Resident Evil, etc. while you wait for a proper emuNAND solution.

I'm pretty much only playing Mario Odyssey since that's the only cartridge I have that runs on my current switch lol
The ones I really want to play at this moment are Zelda and MH generations (and maybe SSBU), which so far are nothing but decorations on my shelf.
Actually, all I hope for now is that Zelda rev.2 would not require the upper masterkey.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...