Need some help with partitioning my hard drive :(

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Overlord Nadrian, May 9, 2010.

1. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    So, I got a new netbook the other day (a Samsung N130) and I succesfully installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 on it. But I'm having trouble with partitioning the hard drive, because the Win7 boot partition is in my way. I want to merge the partitions, but apparently if you delete it you won't be able to boot into Win7 again. And I want to keep it. I looked around somewhat and found that you can delete the partition, but then you need a Win7 recovery disk, and my netbook just came with Win7 already installed, no disks at all. The screen below is what my hard drive now looks like. I haven't a clue how to merge everything again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Use a bootloader manager to restore the option for booting into Windows 7 again.
    It's Ubuntu so I wouldn't know names

3. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Just download a copy of W7 then burn it to a disk, you should have the sticker on your laptop with the code, so you're not exactly pirating it

Then you can delete it and do what you wanted to do

4. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Code? Sticker? I'm confused... [​IMG]

5. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    There should be a windows sticker on the bottom of your netbook with the code of the W7 they used, if not then I'm not sure how you'd get around it

6. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Okay, I'll download a copy of Win7. I'll wait for some more replies before I start deleting everything, because there might still be an easier way to do it.

7. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Chances are it's not a retail OEM install, so it doesn't really use that code on the bottom to activate Windows. Most big oems use a combination of an SLIC in the system bios followed by a matching oem key (which are all the same for that specific manufacturer and a cert), for offline activation.

That said getting the iso and making it bootable from usb would be the easiest solution I can think of right now.

8. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Just for the record here's the Win7 Recovery Disks: Link

9. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Okay! Thanks mate! [​IMG]

10. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    I have to say Edhel's idea of using the ISO of the partition you already have is the safest option if you're concerned about being able to use your genuine license if you ever need to (re)install Win7 again to that machine.

It's also unlikely that "Just downloading Win7" will work with your license as Edhel described.

11. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Since youve already installed Ubuntu, you should already be using GRUB2 as your bootloader. In which case it is perfectly fine to delete the win7 "backup" partition (which is totally worthless anyways) and you will still be able to select Win7 via GRUB. To change the way GRUB works, just download startup manager via ubuntu. You can make Win7 the default OS, and change the countdown timer to 2 seconds.

12. Overlord Nadrian
    OP

Belgium
    Okay, that seems to be a better idea, I'll give this a try first, thanks mate! [​IMG]

EDIT: So, I installed Startup Manager, I had already removed the RECOVERY marked partition and made it swap memory, but the problem is that the 'boot' partition is in my way, if I remove it Windows will no longer boot.