Need some help on legal things with 3ds hacking

Guineo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was wondering if I was to purchase Japan-made 3ds and then unlock them and change them to English and remove every hack application on them to only keep it unlocked and sell it would that be illegal?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i was wondering if I was to purchase Japan-made 3ds and then unlock them and change them to English and remove every hack application on them to only keep it unlocked and sell it would that be illegal?
why even bother with doing that? Are you planning on making a business outta that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As we are dealing with the US then better to the boilerplate if I am a lawyer then I am most certainly not yours. Hopefully you can find one that deals in import law and copyright law as it pertains to computer hacking in your state if you really care.

There is legal, unlawful (that is to say civil matter, which is to say Nintendo would have to find out, file the lawsuit, explain how you are costing them all the money, aka a very difficult task, and somehow collect it from you), allowed on online tat merchants if explicitly advertised, generally ignored by online tat merchants (even more so if you don't have nice images of the hacked modes available).

You will however notice all the big lawsuits are either for tax evasion (though not seen any of those in a while. Import for personal use and import for resale, never mind resale being a business by itself, are different matters in many places) or selling with ROMs (even if the PR puff piece put out by them downplays that massively). Outside chance safety goblins appear if somehow the chargers catch fire (don't know why they would) but given half the crap that gets sold on ebay every day it would be billions to one odds on that.
There might well be some law, probably an aspect of the DMCA, that we could point to as a "technically" but again number of lawsuits based upon that is non existent at this point.

If you wanted to buy in Japanese 3ds by the box (they are often amazing quality, even Japanese low grade, might have rare/non existent outside Japan colours, might have different shapes as XL and such appeared a bit later in the day and in different numbers), do a basic test (all buttons work, screens good, slots good, battery does not immediately die...) and region swap but shuffling them out the door with no other efforts towards cleaning them then you would probably be able to sell a million of them on ebay without concern from the law or Nintendo lawyers.
Whether it is worth the effort of doing that is a different matter entirely -- there are sure to be enough 3ds of quality already out there in the US right now (not like it is not released in the region yet, stopped early or otherwise under supplied), hacking is trivial if others did want to order from Japan themselves (not as easy as I might find ordering something in the US to Europe or vice versa but still doable without leaving the chair and minimal costs as these things go). Warranties are probably out in general at this point and to that end you are pretty much trading on rare colours and maybe getting a bunch of quality examples more readily than some drooling teenager having in the bag for years on end, and being bounced off younger siblings in other occasions). Maybe you buy some in with the hope that the 3ds, sit on them (keep them charged up on a regular basis) becomes retro in a few years (not so many years ago I was buying GBAs and DS/DS lites for £5 a pop at any car boot sale you care to visit, less so today and things tend to be rather more costly when they do appear). I am not seeing too much scope for that (3ds library is weak and homebrew and emulation power not much compared to earlier devices or likely future devices). That however is your business to contemplate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo