Hacking Need Opinions from OpenWii users

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm basically debating between a Wiikey or OpenWii, and I mind the audio fix issue since I don't have a need to play GC games on my Wii.

Now, as far as I know both the Wiikey and OpenWii (pre-programmed from lowpricedmods.com) can be soldered in the Wii and I simply insert backups and they work. Configuration can be done so by inserting their respective config disc and can be controlled by the reset button (not sure if it's exactly the same on OpenWii; please confirm).

So given both modchips can do what is stated above, I would go with the cheap solution; the OpenWii, however, there seems to be a lack of resources (tuts, pics, etc) and people that support OpenWii. That fact somewhat scares me off from buying the OpenWii chip, so I'm wondering what you guys and gals have to say about the OpenWii.

In my opinion from all the information I've collected from the sites and forums, the OpenWii has a slight edge in terms of price and product support, but there are some details that are quite vague. For example, is the ATmega8 chip for the OpenWii (found at lowpricedmods.com) on a PCB? If not, then how do I secure the chip inside the Wii? Those are the questions that throw me and other Wii owners off.

Now if only Wii modding could be as easy as inserting my slot-1 solution in my DS Lite
yaynds.gif

orb_nsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, WiiKey has "Great" company support. Haven't you seen a dozen threads on all the forums, full of pissed off people because the neverending Wiikey update delay? Openwii got updated last week.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, WiiKey has "Great" company support. Haven't you seen a dozen threads on all the forums, full of pissed off people because the neverending Wiikey update delay? Openwii got updated last week.
Yeah, but I didn't mean updates; I just don't like the idea of open source programing for flash chips or roms. To me it should be handled by a official company.

But aside from the lack of audio fixing and region free, everything else works. My only fear would be a new firmware update killing the WiiKey and their team not responding at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I just don't like the idea of open source programing for flash chips or roms"

I am quite unsure how to respond to such a quote other than to point out an "official" company is likely little more than a couple of friends with a nice side buisness.

I will also point out region free can be done just as well with a patch.

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I just don't like the idea of open source programing for flash chips or roms"

I am quite unsure how to respond to such a quote other than to point out an "official" company is likely little more than a couple of friends with a nice side buisness.

I will also point out region free can be done just as well with a patch.
True, but once "a group of friends" get together and put out a name in the market, they are somewhat "obligated" to work on the their "product"

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

beauchampy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why doesnt anyone go for the wiinja?

i'm running a v2 and its been great so far.. no DRE, no audio problems playing GC games, only gripe is having to patch iso's to PAL when playing imports but that takes less than a second..

AOforever1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i'm running a v2 and its been great so far.. no DRE, no audio problems playing GC games, only gripe is having to patch iso's to PAL when playing imports but that takes less than a second..
Their constant revisions show me their only concerned with sales and not so much with customer support. They should of introduced DVD upgrading with the first chip (v1 non-deluxe).

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OpenWii is a great chip, has talented developers, and their wiki and forums are way more informative than the WiiKey site.

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Their constant revisions show me their only concerned with sales and not so much with customer support. They should of introduced DVD upgrading with the first chip (v1 non-deluxe).

Wiinja has 3 versions. Wiinja v1 was the first modchip on the market. As the D2B chips entered the market Wiinja v2 came out which is basicly Wiinja v1 with D2B support. Those who bought a Wiinja v1 was offered a free replacement v2 asfaik. When other chips entered the market offering on-the-fly region patching Wiinja Deluxe was released.

Since the Wiinja chips uses PIC chips, DVD upgradability isn't an option. The only thing you could possibly update is the 128 bytes of eeprom. The Wiinja Deluxe is said to use the 12F683 chips which means that there is 256 bytes of updateable space. Now Wiinja Deluxe is claimed to have DVD upgradeability but there is no way that the all the code fits within those 256 bytes so I would say that at most, the Wiinja Deluxe is partly upgradable.

Still, apart from the questionable marketing of Wiinja Deluxe as an DVD upgradable chip, it seems to be one of the best choices. It has been on the marked for a long time, there has been little or perhaps even no complaints about it. Perhaps the new Cyclowiz versions and the Wiid are just as good? I do not know.

But when it comes to marketing features that arent present and lousy customer support, WiiKey beats the competition. Sounds like a great chip but they still claim to have audiofix although it isn't present (some say it even prevents some GC games from running that even other non-audiofix modchips run, but I wouldn't take that as a fact) and they haven't delivered the promised update breaking deadline after deadline. Until they release an update that fixes the issues then I wouldn't recommend a WiiKey to anyone. It currently doesn't do anything that even the open source chips do at least as well.

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've never had a problem with my Wiinja. What is the need for updates if all you want to do is burn a Wii/GC game and play it? You only need a non-upgradeable v1 for this. It's not like the DS where Nintendo keeps coding new ways to stop piracy into their games - the Wiinja works on all games afaik (direct boot own-region, patch other regions), so I don't see the need to ever have to upgrade unless Nintendo starts putting new anti-piracy methods in their games (not by modifying the Wii).

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originally a double post, but I'll use this to add that the Wiinja reminds me of stealth-modding my PSX. Once it was in, I forgot about it and everything I put into it played
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...