• Total voters

Johnlennonjumped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am in a room above my router, and i want to connect to live, so here are my options

Story- I bought the Madcatz wireless gaming adapter online for $31. I received it but couldn't get it to work, called madcatz and they told me it was broken to send it back, so i need to either get a refund or replace it with the same item

price of stuff-

Madcatz- $31
official Xbox 360 adapter- i need a link to a cheap one please
laugh.gif

50ft Ethernet cable - $5.50

Ethernet i will have to drill through floors and stuff, and my dad isn't sure if i could (thinks the floor is to solid)

Please help community of Gbatemp

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself bought a Xbox 360 and is shipping as we speak. I went with wireless and with the same exact router only because I couldn't hook up wired in my room. Wired is better all the time, wireless is just convenient. If you don't want to drill a whole in your floor and set up everything, just get the refund and by another one. If you can settle with all the hassle, wired is definitely better.

Johnlennonjumped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Hmm, are you running a firewall and the ports aren't open maybe? Does the 360 connect to the PC?

opened firewalls, and ports are open, and the 360 doesn't connect to pc, but the computer does read something is plugged in

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I would try for a bridged connection option 2 is score a second router if both will support WDS (most models made in the last 5 years will and it was common enough before that- people that jumped ISP are a good source of such things) and use that instead.

Also you need to explain to your dad the bigger drill (bit) and bigger hammer theory of engineering.

Johnlennonjumped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really would like to buy the Ethernet because, come on lets face it spending $31 vs 5.50 is a big difference (difference that could go to another video game or M$ points)

EDIT- Is it easy to run cables through ceiling, when im talking to my dad about he treats it like brain surgery on a robot with 5 arms ( i checked the ceiling it isn't solid really at all)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did wonder- most houses I have seen/pulled apart when stateside were made of wood and other things a half decent masonry drill would tear through in seconds. Running cable is an odd one though and most of the time if I am not involved in putting the house up or otherwise rebuilding it there will be places to run cables- behind skirting, under floor*, through ceiling*, down chimneys (non working naturally), with other electricals, with pipework and air conditioning/vents to name but a few. Plan it out first and try not to use tools not suited for the job (your little battery powered hand drill will make it through but it will take ages and that final push is usually where the trouble comes).

*basements and attics are great for this.

I forgot to mention it last time around (testament to how much I dislike it perhaps) but you probably also have wires running all over your house already- power wires. Ethernet over powerline is not new but it seems to be getting a resurgence of late as people figure out wireless is not all that. An entry level kit for such things is probably going to run you more than a wireless adapter from MS themselves though.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well I'm guessing you have an ethernet cable already (one which you get with your xbox) if you do have that one then this little gadget (or one very similar you can find lots of them on this site) should do the trick nicely.

:yaygadgets:

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My solution when I got my 360 a couple of years ago was just to buy a Linksys WRT54GL router (40 bucks at the time), flash it with Tomato and use it as an bridge for my 360 to the wireless router across the house.

They run for 60 bucks now where I got it from so I dunno if that's the route you wanna take if price is an issue.

Johnlennonjumped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pristinemog said:
My solution when I got my 360 a couple of years ago was just to buy a Linksys WRT54GL router (40 bucks at the time), flash it with Tomato and use it as an bridge for my 360 to the wireless router across the house.

They run for 60 bucks now where I got it from so I dunno if that's the route you wanna take if price is an issue.

not really found the xbox adapter for $48 so i might go with that its more then what i payed for the madcatz one but i know at least it will work and it is the official xbox one

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Johnlennonjumped said:
Ethernet i will have to drill through floors and stuff, and my dad isn't sure if i could (thinks the floor is to solid)

you could always hide it under some carpet, or around the side of the walls.... in that case it would have to be longer, but i never found a proper solution other than that. Not to mention a wired connection is much better than a wireless one... or it has been for me at least.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While it is tempting to look at the price from a pure money perspective I would mention that most of the more general devices have additional uses while the 360 adapter will always be a 360 adapter.

Oh and powerline kit:
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-P200-Powe...8962&sr=8-2

I suppose in the end there are numerous options but the very last on my list would be an official MS adapter.

Johnlennonjumped

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
While it is tempting to look at the price from a pure money perspective I would mention that most of the more general devices have additional uses while the 360 adapter will always be a 360 adapter.

Oh and powerline kit:

I suppose in the end there are numerous options but the very last on my list would be an official MS adapter.
Do these things work well, I will probably get that but has anyone used something like this before it looks cool, how fast is data transfer compared to a wired connection

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Johnlennonjumped said:
FAST6191 said:

Oh and powerline kit:

Do these things work well, I will probably get that but has anyone used something like this before it looks cool, how fast is data transfer compared to a wired connection
that thing doesn't deliver ethernet via powercabling, it delivers power via the ethernet cabling. Not of use in the situation.

In all honesty, your best bet is to try drill a hole through the floor. If you can't do it, you're definitely doing something wrong, as a floor shouldn't be difficult for a normal wood drill bit to get through, then you just need to put your cable through and hey presto!
Hell, if you guys are willing, you can get a professional to install Ethernet Sockets into all the walls (like power sockets) and then install a gigabit switch somewhere out of the way and run 'em all through that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s