Need help with Xbox 360 live options

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Johnlennonjumped, Mar 22, 2010.

?

What should I choose

1. Send back Madcatz adapter for fixed one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. buy the official xbox 360 wireless adapter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buy a long ethernet cable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 22, 2010
  1. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

Newcomer Johnlennonjumped Member

United States
    So I am in a room above my router, and i want to connect to live, so here are my options

Story- I bought the Madcatz wireless gaming adapter online for $31. I received it but couldn't get it to work, called madcatz and they told me it was broken to send it back, so i need to either get a refund or replace it with the same item

price of stuff-

Madcatz- $31
    official Xbox 360 adapter- i need a link to a cheap one please [​IMG]
    50ft Ethernet cable - $5.50

Ethernet i will have to drill through floors and stuff, and my dad isn't sure if i could (thinks the floor is to solid)

Please help community of Gbatemp

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I myself bought a Xbox 360 and is shipping as we speak. I went with wireless and with the same exact router only because I couldn't hook up wired in my room. Wired is better all the time, wireless is just convenient. If you don't want to drill a whole in your floor and set up everything, just get the refund and by another one. If you can settle with all the hassle, wired is definitely better.

3. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    If you've got laptops or a pc with a wireless card in your room you can route the 360 through that.

4. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    I know I tried that more then ten times couldn't get it to work [​IMG]

5. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Hmm, are you running a firewall and the ports aren't open maybe? Does the 360 connect to the PC?

6. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    opened firewalls, and ports are open, and the 360 doesn't connect to pc, but the computer does read something is plugged in

7. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    What version of Windows are you using or is it Linux? And are the settings set to Automatic on the 360?

8. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    XP and yes

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    While I would try for a bridged connection option 2 is score a second router if both will support WDS (most models made in the last 5 years will and it was common enough before that- people that jumped ISP are a good source of such things) and use that instead.

Also you need to explain to your dad the bigger drill (bit) and bigger hammer theory of engineering.

10. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    i really would like to buy the Ethernet because, come on lets face it spending $31 vs 5.50 is a big difference (difference that could go to another video game or M$ points)

EDIT- Is it easy to run cables through ceiling, when im talking to my dad about he treats it like brain surgery on a robot with 5 arms ( i checked the ceiling it isn't solid really at all)

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I did wonder- most houses I have seen/pulled apart when stateside were made of wood and other things a half decent masonry drill would tear through in seconds. Running cable is an odd one though and most of the time if I am not involved in putting the house up or otherwise rebuilding it there will be places to run cables- behind skirting, under floor*, through ceiling*, down chimneys (non working naturally), with other electricals, with pipework and air conditioning/vents to name but a few. Plan it out first and try not to use tools not suited for the job (your little battery powered hand drill will make it through but it will take ages and that final push is usually where the trouble comes).

*basements and attics are great for this.

I forgot to mention it last time around (testament to how much I dislike it perhaps) but you probably also have wires running all over your house already- power wires. Ethernet over powerline is not new but it seems to be getting a resurgence of late as people figure out wireless is not all that. An entry level kit for such things is probably going to run you more than a wireless adapter from MS themselves though.

12. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    well I'm guessing you have an ethernet cable already (one which you get with your xbox) if you do have that one then this little gadget (or one very similar you can find lots of them on this site) should do the trick nicely.

:yaygadgets:

13. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States

14. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My solution when I got my 360 a couple of years ago was just to buy a Linksys WRT54GL router (40 bucks at the time), flash it with Tomato and use it as an bridge for my 360 to the wireless router across the house.

They run for 60 bucks now where I got it from so I dunno if that's the route you wanna take if price is an issue.

15. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    not really found the xbox adapter for $48 so i might go with that its more then what i payed for the madcatz one but i know at least it will work and it is the official xbox one

16. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
  17. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    you could always hide it under some carpet, or around the side of the walls.... in that case it would have to be longer, but i never found a proper solution other than that. Not to mention a wired connection is much better than a wireless one... or it has been for me at least.

18. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    While it is tempting to look at the price from a pure money perspective I would mention that most of the more general devices have additional uses while the 360 adapter will always be a 360 adapter.

Oh and powerline kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-P200-Powe...8962&sr=8-2

I suppose in the end there are numerous options but the very last on my list would be an official MS adapter.

19. Johnlennonjumped
    OP

United States
    Do these things work well, I will probably get that but has anyone used something like this before it looks cool, how fast is data transfer compared to a wired connection

20. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    that thing doesn't deliver ethernet via powercabling, it delivers power via the ethernet cabling. Not of use in the situation.

In all honesty, your best bet is to try drill a hole through the floor. If you can't do it, you're definitely doing something wrong, as a floor shouldn't be difficult for a normal wood drill bit to get through, then you just need to put your cable through and hey presto!
    Hell, if you guys are willing, you can get a professional to install Ethernet Sockets into all the walls (like power sockets) and then install a gigabit switch somewhere out of the way and run 'em all through that.