Need help with RetroArch 1.2.2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Centrix, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Centrix
    OP

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    I can't figure out why I keep getting a black screen on boot up? every time I try to load up RetroArch it just sits there at a black screen then after a few mins reboots to the Homebrew channel. Can any one help me or point me in the right direction on a tutorial thats for the most recent version of RetroArch pls? I really want to get this working, I've tried a few of the Nightly's and the stable builds and still nothing :(

Any help would be much appreciated, as always thanks for the help guys :D

2. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2013
    If you had an older version of Retroarch, maybe the old cfg files are the problem.

Go to root/Retroarch and delete (or just move to another place) all the .cfg files, and let Retroarch create new ones, as they must be different.

3. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    Thats what I was thinking to, I deleted the entire folder, all the cores everything, I even tried to boot retro with just the boot.dol, meta.ini, and the icon and still nothing grrr lol :P

4. MaeseJesus

Apr 3, 2013
    Then i sadly don't know, I never had a problem booting RA besides that.

Are you trying to load it from a SD card?

5. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    Yes, I wanted to keep everything organized you know? basically, use my SD card for all the apps and have them run all my games from the HDD. Would it just be easier to move the apps folder to the HDD you think?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Question, when I down load RetroArch, it has the boot.dol file and then a bunch of other files which I assume to be the emulators, but there also listed as .dol and have .ini files next to them, do I keep everything together then drag it into my apps folder?

6. MaeseJesus

Apr 3, 2013
    everything should be on /Apps/retroarch-wii...
    What are you doing to boot Retroarch? I do it through the Homebrew Channel, so I don't use anything else.

7. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    So here's everything I do step by step, I go to the retroarch website download the stable/nightly build then unzip everything into a folder on my desktop called RetroArch then drag that folder into my apps folder on the SD from there I place it into my Wii's SD card slot turn on the Wii and load up the Homebrew channel and attempt to load RA up to no avail :(

question? does the folder have to be named "retroarch-wii" by chance?

Last edited by Centrix, Nov 1, 2015
  8. MaeseJesus

Apr 3, 2013
    yes, if I remember correctly, yes. That's the folder Retroarch looks for when loading things, if i'm not confused.

9. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    kk, ill try naming the folder that then phone in the response k bud, thanks a bunch for the help :D I've been doing emulation and homebrew stuffs for along time now and even I must admit sometimes some things just allude me lol :P

10. MaeseJesus

Apr 3, 2013
    I tend to fail in very stupid things too, don't worry. I hope it gets resolved.

11. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    IT FREAKEN WORKS....THANK YOU!!! I've been messing with this all night trying everything to figure out why its not working and in the end it turned out to be a stupid naming issue lol :P

12. Centrix
    OP

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    So it seems that when i select a core and then go to run one of my GBA games it crashes, I get a DSI error message any ideas?

13. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    RA 1.2.2 is really unstable and unreliable on the Wii, i really advise you to stick to the tried and tested 1.0.2 version that works perfectly. Only thing missing from 1.0.2 is an mGBA core.

Would you like me to upload my custom RA 1.0.2 setup? I have borders, overlays, folders, cores renamed etc all set up. If you want i can share it.

14. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    I would be interested in your custom setup as well. I've never quite figured out the configuration process.

15. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    OK. I uploaded the files here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/mca5m8
    Download, unzip and copy them to your SD card. The directories are /apps/retroarch-wii/ for the app, /retroarch/ for the retroarch config files and other like saves, overlays, etc. and = RETRO/ is the directory in which the roms for each console are located. Each folder is made to be opened only by its' respective core. So, if you choose the RA SNES core, then only the = RETRO/SNES/ directory opens, if you choose the RA FBA core, only the = RETRO/FBA/ directory opens, etc etc. Really handy.

I also have custom overlays set up as default, i attach some pics to see how they look in game. Finally all cores are preconfigured for wiimote buttons as well (meaning you can easily play with just the wiimote).

Attached Files:

Last edited by nakata6790, Nov 4, 2015
    kid sampson likes this.
  16. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    Thanks for this. Just now seeing the upload but will definitely use this in place of my current setup.

17. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece