OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, need some help here guys please.

Bought a r4i revolution for DSi. Software installed was

http://r4sdhc.com/r4idownload-en.htm

Everything worked fine, but there was a little accident by somebody and they updated the DSi firmware to 1.4e. Now the card is no longer recognised, there's just nothing there "There is no card in the sd card slot". Also, the browser disappeared and all data on a normal sd card in the side slot was not able to be read so photos were no longer able to be accessed. However, I've been able to restart the side slotted card and have redownloaded the browser ok.

The problem still remains with the R4i card. Have been looking around for past five hours and there seems to be loads of different firmwares for what appear to be the same card so am a little bit confused. Too much information. I have tried loads of firmwares but still find the card not recognised.

Can anybody tell me if I am able to get this card back up and running?

If not, what are my options? The DSi has firmware 1.4e.

Thanks in advance.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You're gonna need to buy a new cart more than likely mate I'm afraid. Which exact version of the R4i-SDHC do you have? Like what colour is the box and what's the website address on it?

saxon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for thw quick replys guys.

The address on the card is www.R4i.cn. You can see a pic of my card at that address

http://r4i.cn/

although I never got any packaging with it but that's the one. It's confused me as the kernels on that page have a different version than the one on mine? I've tried loads though and not one of them is recognised. It did say it was backwards compatible with ds lite but plugging it in there doesn't make it recognised either
frown.gif

Can somebody explain what happened. Was it just cut off by the big 'N'?

Also, if I need to get a new card, do you have any recommendations? Thanks again fellas. I am in UK.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1.4 cut off all the flashcarts. The only way to bypass it was to get a 1.4 fix kernel that only applied to flashcarts that had an upgrade-able kernel. The R4 did not have an update-able kernel, so users were forced to get a new R4 that did support 1.4.

I'd recommend getting either an AK2i or a M3i Zero.

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
if it isn't recognized on you DSL as well, then your card is bricked or you've loaded the wrong firmware. Only use firmware from the site on the box. And yea, you'll need to buy a new card. I recommend AK2i or M3i0

saxon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers all, I'm looking at one of those m3i0 ones, looking good. I still can't get my head around the other card though, said it was 1.4 compatible. Maybe it didn't mean 1.4e
smile.gif

Bit brassed off as I only had it a week. Would it be just general failure of the card? Even putting the correct software on that I had before (I created a default image) it still fails to work on a ds lite.

Did have something on there called r4iup_ 1 which might've helped but I s'pose too late now.

Ho hum.

saxon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aye, looks like I'll have to then, cheers Dave. There's not really a chance to swap it so I'll have to get a new one.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
No trouble at all mate, sorry about your cart. I'd steer clear of anything R4 related, there's people who defend them to their death but it's honestly not worth taking the chance with them. I can't really help you out with a card choice for the DSi as I've only got a DS Phat myself (podgy fingers lol) but I hear good things about AK2i and M3i Zero.

saxon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This was my first experience with a r4i. I've had a dstt card for the lite for ages and that's never given me a spot of bother. Luck of the draw I s'pose. I'll get one of those recommendations, thanks all for the help.

rookrook

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saxon said:
Thanks for thw quick replys guys.

The address on the card is www.R4i.cn. You can see a pic of my card at that address

http://r4i.cn/

although I never got any packaging with it but that's the one. It's confused me as the kernels on that page have a different version than the one on mine? I've tried loads though and not one of them is recognised. It did say it was backwards compatible with ds lite but plugging it in there doesn't make it recognised either
frown.gif

Can somebody explain what happened. Was it just cut off by the big 'N'?

Also, if I need to get a new card, do you have any recommendations? Thanks again fellas. I am in UK.
hi m8 i managed to upgrade the r4i cn card with the software from there site so my card could be used on a 1.4e firmware only thing is you need an unupdate dsi to do the software update as your updated dsi doesnt recognise the cart my cart was yellow at the pins at back dunno if that helps you withyours

saxon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, thanks Rook. Maybe I'll have to try to revive my dead card using your method. I don't see any yellow though but worth a try.

I've got another little problem now though
blush.gif
I got one of those m3i zero cards. Nitpicking, it seems a bit slower boot up wise to me than the r4, also it seems to report incorrect sizes of files? But! It has some great features, love the gui and most importantly... it works
wink.gif

However, one annoying thing is that I can't seem to get it to run dpg movie files. In the media section it says somert about dsm verified encoder but I've read in many places that dpg are ok for the m3. Now on the r4 I converted a few holiday movies from avi -> dpg format for the nippers using the converter supplied with Moonshell. They ran great but for the life of me, I can't get them to run on the m3 card (just get a line briefly across the bottom screen on execution). Have tried reconverting and then again but no joy. I was just wondering if anybody can confirm that dpg files are ok on the m3i? If so, what converter do you use? Thanks. Don't really want to try dsm as they appear to convert to sizes similar to the original avis which for my size card are way too big! (used the converter bundled in MP Classic).

Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol