Hacking need help with frozen games on r4 card

goblue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a r4 card that has approx 30 games. Just got if off a guy last week. Been playing it for the last 4 days with know problems but when I turned it on yesterday, it loaded then then froze on the last game I was playing. I tried the paper trick that was suggested and it didn't work. I am new to this firmware stuff and was wondering if I could update the r4 without losing these games. Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
goblue said:
I have a r4 card that has approx 30 games. Just got if off a guy last week. Been playing it for the last 4 days with know problems but when I turned it on yesterday, it loaded then then froze on the last game I was playing. I tried the paper trick that was suggested and it didn't work. I am new to this firmware stuff and was wondering if I could update the r4 without losing these games. Can anyone give me advice on what to do?
Changing firmwares shouldn't affect your games unless something terribly bad has happened and corrupted your microSD (forcing you to reformat). The best way to prevent losing your stuff is to back it up and store it someplace safe temporarily (usually I archive my files in one .7z archive and put it someplace) and then attempt changing your firmware.

One thing you should remember regarding the R4 cards, since there is a multitude (a cascade really) of R4 clones, it is usually best to type in the EXACT title of the card, maybe an image of the box, as well as the website that the box tells you to visit so people know what R4 clone they might be dealing with. This sort of information is generally needed for all problems regarding any R4 clone (otherwise we wouldn't really know what clone we are working with).

As for some advice, if your R4 says that it supports only MicroSD and not SDHC, then you should be able to use the WoodR4 firmware (its as simple to put in as the original R4's firmware). If your card is similar to a DSTT (game icons on the left-hand side of the bottom screen), then you should take a peek at YSMenu, which although sometimes hard to understand and setup, does have automatic generators to help speed up the process of setting it up without knowing what is happening.

goblue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, the card says R4 upgrade revolution for ds (NDSL/NDS) www.R41-SDHC.COM. I am a real greenhorn and if I have to back this card up can I can it on my computer hard drive. I am a Dad trying to help out my son. Thanks for taking the time to help. I don't have the box that comes with it.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
goblue said:
ok, the card says R4 upgrade revolution for ds (NDSL/NDS) www.R41-SDHC.COM. I am a real greenhorn and if I have to back this card up can I can it on my computer hard drive. I am a Dad trying to help out my son. Thanks for taking the time to help. I don't have the box that comes with it.
From what it looks like (unless I'm looking at the wrong thing), it is a DSTT clone. I'm not exactly sure on if I can help (I've never owned an R4 Upgrade), but I'll try using what I do know and hopefully it can help you out.

If the DS screen looks like this when the flashcart is inserted but no microSD is put in, then it is definitely a DSTT clone and thus I would recommend using YSMenu.

To make things simple, you will need to download:
-YSMenu Generator (this is my generator that I made, although if it doesn't make sense, then you can try alternative generators)

-YSMenu (Just type in "2009/03/27 00:00?EZ3in1+ NOR" in the search function, ctrl+f, and click the "2009/03/27" to download it.

-DSTT Firmware (Ctrl+f for "English" will bring you straight to the download link).

If you use my generator:
You just unzip the generator, double click the exe, and browse to the two other files you downloaded and click "TTDS Firmware". After a short while, a window will pop up with the files ready to be dragged and dropped into your microSD. One thing you will have to do is rename the YSMenu.nds to "R4.dat" and delete the old firmware (or back it up in case I'm wrong) which is the "R4iMenu" folder and the old R4.dat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHl4P7AXt0