Need help with file sharing...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by R2DJ, Oct 1, 2009.

1. R2DJ
    OP

R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    I've done this before...file sharing between two XP laptops using a crossover cable. This time, I can't pull it off.

So I want to do file sharing between an XP Laptop and a Vista laptop. Me and my mum are switching laptops so she can have my eeePC and I can have her amazing VAIO laptop (which I would be needing for uni anyway...) Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to do file sharing between an XP and Vista laptop using a crossover cable (no internet connection). I usually do transferring files with DVDs but the eeePC has no optical drive...

Help would be appreciated. I need to do this as soon as I can...

2. BiscuitBee

BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Jul 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    It's been a long time since I have done transferring this way, but I guess the first step is to create static IPs for each computer.

Example
    eee: 192.168.1.2
    Vaio: 192.168.1.3

Subnets for Both: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway for Both: Don't really need one, I think. But put 192.168.1.1 if it bugs you.
    DNS: Not needed, again.

If you have file sharing turned on and you have your folders shared already, you should be able to:

On the eee:
    Start > Run > \\192.168.1.3

HOPEFULLY this pops up the a window with your shared folders. If not, you might have to enable the Guest account.

3. R2DJ
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    EDIT: Doesn't work. So what do you mean by "enabling the Guest account".

However, the two PCs can see each other, just no access... I also made sure they are in the same workgroup and file sharing is on for Vista. Don't know about XP as I can't see the "Use simple file sharing" option in the Folder Options but I was told that it is already enable in XP Home (which is the version I'm using)...

4. R2DJ
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    Edited ^^^

5. R2DJ
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    Can anyone here help me! I need to do this ASAP...

6. BiscuitBee

Jul 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Enabling the Guest account in Windows XP:

Control Panel > Users Accounts > Click on "Guest" > Click on "Turn On Guest Account"

I have my control panel in classic view so I'm not sure it it will be the exact same steps. As for Vista... I have no idea.

From command prompt try: net user Guest /active:yes

I've always gotten mixed results when turning on the guest account that way, though.

EDIT: But it's good that you can at least see the computer now [​IMG]

7. R2DJ
    OP

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    Got it working by playing around with the settings and IP addresses... Thanks for the help BiscuitBee!!!

8. BiscuitBee

Jul 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Glad it worked out in the end [​IMG]