Burt0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I have a macbook here that i'm trying to fix for a friend.

The problem is it keeps shutting down about 3-4 minutes after it boots up.

I checked the sleep settings and set them to "never", checked the battery and reset the PMU, then I ran the hardware test from the mac osx disc that came with it and the results said everything was fine. So now it has to be a software problem and I want to format and reinstall snow leopard but when I try to backup his photo's and documents to an external hdd, the computer turns itself off after a few minutes.

When I ran the hardware test the machine stayed on for an hour plus so there's definitely a corrupt file or something wrong within the OS.

My question is how can I backup his data without booting into the OS? Is there something like a bootable file manager I can load from a cd? If not, can I take the HDD out and put it in my windows pc and backup from there?

All help and comments are appreciated

Thanks very much.

yesjohn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wii-media.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
My question is how can I backup his data without booting into the OS? Is there something like a bootable file manager I can load from a cd? If not, can I take the HDD out and put it in my windows pc and backup from there?
Windows doesn't see the hdd.

call apple when you have warranty

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just go for it and try reinstalling Snow Leopard. There's nothing to lose; it will not reformat and wipe out his stuff, provided he doesn't save his pictures in funny places (like /System or /usr).

Burt0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks guys,

I should have used the linux live cd but I ended up pulling the hdd out and putting it in my windows pc.

I used a program called "macdrive" that allows windows to view mac drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: It got shutdown because somebody accidentally leaked the database for the amount of people using...