Hacking Need help softmodding my cousin's wii, very weird case.

ray_quazawski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My cousin wants me to hack his Wii (black wii system menu is 4.3u) to load backups from his 500gb Toshiba hard drive, i already did the following:

1. Exploit with Letterbomb, installed Homebrew Channel and BootMii as an IOS.
2. Installed Priiloader to prevent a brick.
3. Installed Truchabug IOS 36 with WiiMod in IOS 36 and 236.
4. Installed cIOS rev 19 base 57 in 249 and cIOS rev 21 base 37 in 250 (for MHTri).
5. Partition his hard drive to a 490gb NTFS and a 10gb fat32 (named it LABELS because thats what is in my HD) in my PC with linux disk utility.
6. Format the NTFS partition to WBFS and clone all my games from my hard drive using WBFS Manager 3.0 in Windows 7.
7. Put Wiiflow in the 10gb fat32 partition (apps/wiiflow/boot.dol and all that)

Now here is the problem, I start wiiflow from his HD in his Wii and all i get is the loading screen, I gave the thing time but it doesn't seem to start.
The weirdest of all is:
If i put MY Wii with HIS Hard Drive it starts wiiflow and i can play the games (logic tells it can't be his HD right?).
NOW, if i put HIS Wii with MY Hard Drive its all good too! (wtf?).
Only when I hook his Hard Drive with his Wii it gives me the loading forever thing.
I've tried loading wiiflow from an SD card, copying everything in my fat32 LABELS partition to his fat32 LABELS partition and start wiiflow from there but both things failed.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm really lost in this one.
English is my second language so if you don't understand something I wrote tell me and i will try to explain it better.

AzureuzZetsunai

HAHA, 20!... i punch it!
Trophies
Website
hashtiv.com
XP
Country
Mexico
try using directly from the HB the usbloader CFG or usbloader gx... stop saying it sucks. actually it dont, not anymore. test it... (ahem) moving along with your problem there a lot of usbloaders, or maybe is the Cios broken? use the latest release of cios 249.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
rev19 is old, install the latest d2x instead. Also based on what you wrote, you didnt install a base 56 one.
I also dont know what you mean with "cIOS rev 21 base 37 in 250 (for MHTri)". I play MH3 with base 56 without the slightest hickup (both online and offline).

Also, wbfs is quite obsolete for the average user. Just go with full fat32 partition.
You could also try using a base 58 cIOS to load the usb loader. Apparantly base 58 have higher compability.

Azure: Ive read though his post 3 times now, where did he say anything about cfg and gx?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sounds like you have different cIOS on both Wiis. Or your got a hardware problem, is the not working HDD self powered, while the working one has an external power supply?

ray_quazawski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry it was a long time since I hacked my wii and I'm not up to date in this, next thing I'm doing its put the same cIOS i got in my wii in his and see if it works.

Lucif3r: A base 56, was that something necessary?, I really don't remember.

Wiipower: Both HDD are self powered, and both work in MY wii, also both wiis work with MY HDD, its just when using my cousin's wii and HDD. (I don't know how is this even possible).

Thanks guys.

Edit: Every other homebrew app seems to work just fine, so maybe using another loader will help?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
base 56 plays 99.9% of all the games available. As far as I know only black ops and MW3 doesnt play on 56, and needs a base 57 instead.

You can start with trying another loader, doesnt hurt to try.

Anyway, if you want to be sure to get everything up-to-date, you could use modmii. Either remod from scratch (run the wizard) or do a syscheck on the Wii and let modmii scan it.

ray_quazawski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks to all, I think the problem was my cousin's HDD, here is what happens:

This HDD just loads wiiflow right when its at boot from the priiloader as an installed file, that was the reason it was working on my Wii as it was set too boot to wiiflow. The reason i think its because the HDD is usb 2.0 and 3.0 and I remember 3.0 didn't work right for Wii or something.

I don't know how it works but wiis can only read the wbfs partition on this HDD at boot, do you guys know if using only a fat32 will fix this?

Edit: This is my cousin's HDD, it says its usb 3.0 and backwards compatible to usb 2.0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J7YCHG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003ICWB5Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18PAF3XB105J373BHYAS

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
usb3 drives can indeed be problematic.
I cant answer if fat32 would fix the issue as Ive only ever used fat32. But it wouldnt hurt to try, would it? I know in some cases dual partitions can cause funny issues as well. Is the fat32 partition before or after the wbfs?

ray_quazawski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
usb3 drives can indeed be problematic.
I cant answer if fat32 would fix the issue as Ive only ever used fat32. But it wouldnt hurt to try, would it? I know in some cases dual partitions can cause funny issues as well. Is the fat32 partition before or after the wbfs?
wbfs then fat32, thats how it is in mine, I think I will leave it how it is if it doesn't give any other problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-