Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trying to connect my pc to my sister's wifi router and here is my problem

i find her network and i put the password in and when it tries to connect it says this

aquiring network address

then one moment later it says

This connection has limited or no connectivity

anyone know what could be wrong ?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh...make sure the password is selected correctly when you input it. If it's WEP make sure you set the password to WEP. Also, to note, this "password/passphrase" is different than the one you use to access the actual router.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Could it be that the router is not suposed to take more than a certain amount of wireless devices?
i have no real experience since theres only one computer in our house which uses the wireless (and my ds lol) so i dont know if his is true bu i have a friend whose house has like 2/3 computers and 2 laptops and one of their internets is always messing up since the router only suports a certain amount of devices.
it could be the same case here. also make sure ur close to the router in case the walls of the room are pained wih leadbased paint since that could stop the signal from getting out..i know that sounds weird orstupid but ya never know ;D
lastly, check if her dsl connection is alrigt as well

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im getting a good signal my pc says the signal is excellent and its at 80 percent

i think the problem is at my sisters end of the pc

reemixx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your best bet is to turn off all security methods from the router first, including MAC address filtering, WEP or WPA or whatever you are using, and try to connect. If it works, you know where your problem lies.

If it still doesn't work, consider these:

Do you use a DHCP server? Try doing an ipconfig. If you're getting 169.254.x.x it's a APIPA address which won't let you access the net. Try manually setting an IP address.

Do you use a PCI wireless adapter, or USB? Sometimes the USB port can be the culprit.

Do you have Service Pack 2? There's a known bug in it, apparently. Have a read of this: http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

Hope this helps.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
With that error you're most likely not picking up DHCP.
Check if the router (or another device on the network) is configured to act as a DHCP server (this is usually the router though, or the internet modem in some cases).
If you can't look at the router (being that it's not yours), see if you can look at the other computers connected to your sister's router and see if they pick up DHCP.

And did you try reemixx's suggestions yet?

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its a USB wireless adapter

we also desabled all the secruitey and still nothing :-(

i might return this usb wireless adapter and get another one

also my usb is 1.0 and my usb wireless adapter is 2.0 could that be a problem?

blade85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it shouldnt be a problemif the adapter works with usb 1.0, sometimes those things have something on the box that says it works with older usb versions

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This makes a lot of sense I guess. Say your router is set to G mode only and you try putting in what you thing is a G mode USB adapter to a 1.1 USB, it'll probably downgrade it to B mode and therefore won't let you connect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch