Need Help Setting Up HomePass

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by idontlikepie, Aug 10, 2016.

1. idontlikepie
    OP

idontlikepie Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2016
    United States
    So, I’ve been trying to set up a router as a StreetPass/HomePass relay, but I can’t seem to get it to work, and I’m hoping someone can help me.

I’m using a router with DD-WRT firmware, and I’ve got it working as a repeater to my main connection, broadcasting its own Wi-Fi signal. I have tested the connection with both the attwifi and NZ@McD1 SSID’s, both with and without security. My 3DS will connect just fine to the router and can access the internet. I’ve used the MAC Address Clone option in the router’s settings to change to any number of the MAC addresses on the HomePass list, but I still haven’t gotten a single StreetPass hit yet. What am I doing wrong? Is there some other option I haven’t set correctly? Something else I need to change?

2. MartinDocNewland

MartinDocNewland Searching for the truth

Jul 7, 2012
    I would say change your plan lol Never heard anyone get streetpass hits that way so be interesting to see where you got your information from.

Back to your problem, I would suggest doing it the same way I do and that's with a Raspberry Pi 2/3 and whack a copy of this http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=169 on a 4GB+ SD card and enjoy

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I believe the MAC address clone option in DD-WRT is just for WAN, not for wifi. There is a way to change the wifi MAC address as well, because I've done it before, though I can't remember exactly how I did it. The method might differ depending on your router, but this was the first result on Google: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23837

4. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    Ooo Linux lol

If you are using Linux then adding macchanger command to your distribution will work

5. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    DD-WRT runs a very minimal embedded Linux distribution (based on AsusWRT), not sure that command even works there.

6. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    I know but thanks for reminding me. I did say if you added it to the distribution as I know the command macchanger isn't included with it.

I use macchanger to change the mac address of my WiFi adapter when I'm *cough* testing people's Internet connections

7. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Even if you added it, I'm not sure it will work, because it's an embedded system and doesn't use standardized drivers like PCs do.

8. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    Macchanger doesn't rely on drivers

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But anyway, best way and the easiest way I know is what I suggested to do

9. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm pretty sure it has to set something on the driver side to be able to change the MAC address, since MAC addresses are set in hardware.

10. MartinDocNewland

Jul 7, 2012
    Well it's only a suggestion lol

What I want to know is it even possible what the poster is doing?

11. idontlikepie
    OP

idontlikepie Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2016
    United States
    It is indeed possible! I just got it working. Met a bunch of dudes from Germany. I guess for whatever reason, the Clone MAC Address feature on the DD WRT firmware wasn't working, or doesn't work as I thought it had, and wasn't actually changing the MAC Address. I ended up doing it manually through the command line, and boom, now it works. I might look into automating it, but honestly I wouldn't mind doing it manually, just have to change one number. Thanks for the assists anyway guys.

MartinDocNewland likes this.
  12. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Like I said, that option is only for changing the WAN MAC address, not the Wifi one, in other words it changes the MAC address your modem sees (if you have it plugged into a modem), it's designed for ISPs that only allow the modem's MAC address to connect to the internet. Glad to hear you got it sorted out though :)