Need help restoring an iPod Touch.

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Odnetnin46, Feb 26, 2011.

Feb 26, 2011
  1. Odnetnin46
    OP

Member Odnetnin46 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OK,so because there are a couple games out there that require 4.1(Which I want,and I figured it's time to update),I am deciding to update to 4.2,but I need to restore first because it's jailbroken.
    BUT,I want to do so without losing all my precious save data and settings.I found this guide form Cnet,but it says that I need a backup program like Time Machine,but I do not use it(Plus,I figure it'll take a long time to back-up).

Short Version:Does anyone know a way to restore an iPod,without losing app data,AND without Time Machine?
    Thanks.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There are a few ways to do this. Probably the simplest way is to sync (and back up) your app data to iTunes and restore (restore with the backup when iTunes asks if you want to set it up as new or not).

Alternatively, you can use a Cydia app called "AppBackup" to back up your apps' data into a folder, which you can copy to your computer prior to restoring.

3. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Why not just update your device directly? The jailbreak will just be removed, the rest will stay (files used by the tweaks you installed remain, though). After that, you can just rejailbreak.

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Note that updating will still require you to reinstall all your jailbroken apps BUT all settings will be saved, all ROMs will be saved etc.

5. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Im re-jailbreaking my ipod touch the latest version I hope it'll work because I have a problem with my sleep button.

6. Odnetnin46
    OP

United States
    Metamaster:Are you sure?Does it not work with some models or firmwares?
    I've got firmware 4.0,and a iPod Touch 2nd Generation,with iTunes 10 on my Mac.

7. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ^ You can update safely. Greenpois0n works for your iPod, I've tried it. (you can currently jailbreak every device untethered with one method or another).
    And 4.2.1 works on your device too, but like 4.0, you don't get multitasking and wallpapers.

8. Odnetnin46
    OP

United States
    Okay,so the jailbroken items('cept Cydia apps) stay there until I rejailbreak and have access to them,but do I need any extra space for the new firmware because the old jailbreak is still on there?I have around 320 MB left.
    EDIT:GreenPois0n's site is down,is the mirror up-to-date?Also,when did 4.2.6 come out and what does it do?I haven't updated yet...
    EDIT2:Updated to 4.2 anyway.

9. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The versions of greenpois0n uploaded to FileTrip (RC6.1 at the time of writing) are indeed the newest. [​IMG]

iOS 4.2.6 made its debut with the iPhone 4 CDMA model, and remains exclusive for that device.

10. Elvarg

Banned Elvarg Zyzz™

Australia
    you have to sure sharepod to do that.

11. Odnetnin46
    OP

United States
    Thanks,I'll jailbreak later.Hopefully everything(except that music that stayed on even though I "deleted" it and is taking up 750 MB of space,and Cydia stuff) will stay intact.
    Uhh...what?

EDIT:Jailbroke with Greenpois0n,worked great.