Need help overclocking and setting memory clocks

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Madridi, Feb 1, 2010.

Feb 1, 2010
  1. Madridi
    OP

Member Madridi Card Collector

Qatar
    Hey guys,
    I finally assembled my PC, mentioned here in this thread
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=178581

I've also bought an 80GB intel SSD for OS.

Now I need to overclock my i7 920 CPU to something above 3.0GHz as well as having my RAM run as 7-7-7-24 on 1600 MHz (which is the advertised timing on ocz platium)

Problem is, I dont get it, so I need a step by step direction that applies to my components (because i read some random ones on evga forums that confused me because they were generalized)
    I'm prepared to report back after each trial. I just want to get it done.. Hopefully someone can help

Also, can anyone recommend a way I can monitor the stability of my PC?
    Oh and, the whole temperature thing, I dont get it, whats considered normal and whats considered too high.

I hope someone will be willing to help

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can you post your final build?

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    for temps you can use speed fan or hwmonitor to keep an eye of system temps

as far as general temps, (I do hope you invested in a 3rd party hsf and not junky intel stock one) cpu 70C and above is the danger zone
    if you see the cpu get that hot turn off the computer and reset the bios to default (or undo whatever change you do when ocing)

gfx cards can take a lot more abuse
    somewhere around 110C
    but that doesnt mean its safe to let them get that high
    I would worry if it hits 90C
    personally mine never goes above 65C

4. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    Well, I think that I'm around 30C.. That doesnt make sense does it?
    Here is a pic of what it shows me
    http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8532/67342304.png

5. cornaljoe

United States
    Overclocking the i7 920 is pretty simple. Just go into the BIOS settings and increase the frequency. The default is 133Mhz so try around 160Mhz for starters. This will require you to increase the voltage also so try 1.3-1.4V. Set, restart and go test to check for temps. 30C is normal for load so make sure it's about there.

6. omgdaniel

Newcomer omgdaniel Advanced Member

United States
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439...i7-920-4-a.html

There's a helpful guide to overclocking a 920.

30C for load? 30C for idle, load should push it way up. Maybe with a good HSF you can hit 50C load.

7. cornaljoe

United States
    Yeah, I meant at OS load not under stress load.

8. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    First try to set the frequency higher, rather then already upping the voltage. Aside from that perhaps being needed, you won't know until you try and running it stable without voltage increase is always good/better. You also might need to push the chipset a bit more to get the performance increases you want.

And when we're on the topic of voltages, if there is more then a 0,5v voltage difference between VTT and vRam voltages on a i7 cpu it (IMC) will fry. So please do check that out [​IMG]. In general mind you increasing voltages can be dangerous.

Now your temps, remember that higher temps, and higher voltages for that matter, can/will decrease the lifespan of the hardware.

For stability testing, running Orthos / Prime95 (and in your case at least 8 instances) for several hours (depending on how stable you want your machine to be, I do a few hour runs until I start hitting errors at which time I go with 12-24-48 hour runs and slightly lower settings). Also, only change one variable at a time (except with the 2 voltage thing I mentioned above making sure that the delta doesn't get surpassed) and do stability testing each time to make sure the system runs stable. I tend to test the cpu first and push the mem later.

p.s. Why don't you get yourself an old machine and try playing around with that, then when you have a bit more experience go and do it with your expensive hardware [​IMG]?

9. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    These guys have you covered, I'm just popping in to say, BE CAREFUL. You don't seem to know much about overclocking, and this is one thing that can and WILL fry your shit if you screw up. Take it slow, be patient, and make sure you know what you're changing before you change it. That said, good luck, and enjoy your new comp.

10. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    whats over-clocking? [​IMG]

11. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    link

12. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    Well, I dont know ANYTHING about overclocking (except for the concept)
    I do wanna take it slow and be patient, which is why I'm seeking for help. Because I wanna make sure that I know what I'm doing instead of screwing everything up

Thanks all for your help, hope I get some more!!

13. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    I ran Prime95 again and this time workers 1,2, 6, 7 and 8 (it was 4 and 6 or 8 before) stopped working with one error:
    Hardware Failure detected. Consult stress.txt

Help [​IMG]

Edit: Now they all stopped running except for worker 4, which i'm sure will stop working soon as well.

All same error

14. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds to me like it is already an awsome little machine. Why risk it for the sake of overclocking? IMO overclocking only causes problems.

15. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    Well, I do want to learn, as well as putting my hardware up to its potential

As for my previous post, I went back to my BIOS and apparently I forgot to put the voltages back to auto.

Running torture test with Prime95 now with no changes in BIOS, lets see if test run stable before I attempt on doing anything.

Anything else I should try running to check for stability? Memtest86+ maybe?
    I think the first thing I should do is to check that I dont have harware failures, and once those tests confirm that, I should try overclocking and setting my RAM to what it can actually advertised
    (1600 Mhz 7-7-7-24)

Waiting for everyone's comments [​IMG]

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    nothing like buying a $120 cpu and overclocking it to turn it into a $300 cpu [​IMG]

17. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    Well, I've been running Prime95 with the PC's default settings for about 6 hours now, so far all tests are passing, no errors whatsoever.

The test has put the CPU usage up to a 100%. System temp is 48-50C

All these are good right?
    How long should I keep this running? 24 hours? More? Less?
    I can see the RAM is being tested as well (up to 52% now), but would the tests show me if there is a problem with it or not? Or is there a better method to test RAM?

What else could I test? HDD? S.M.A.R.T. test? any program recommendations for that?

Well, awaiting your help everyone, thanks in advance [​IMG]

18. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
  19. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    You'll get more replies if you ask in a forum dedicated to this sort of thing. Try http://www.overclock.net/ they've helped me in the past.

20. Madridi
    OP

Qatar
    Thanks, I'll do that once I get stuff sorted out. Apparently my RAM has to be RMA'd
    and my SSD is failing full diagnostic data integrity and tells me to contact intel about it, so yeah I have some bad components..