Hardware Need help or advice with a nintendo switch repair problem

atavol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i have a broken switch which i tried to repair on my own with no prior knowledge or skills in electronics. Watch a few youtube vids and gave it a shot. Results were less than spectacular for my first attempt but the switch did start working again.however only in handheld mode and not docked. I uploaded a pic of my work which is a bit of a mess. In the pic you can see a metal pad has slid a bit from under the ic chip. What i would like to know is it the reason there is no picture when docked. Also is it possible to slide it back in without removing the chip. Finally how would i go about doing it? Maybe i should be thankful i got it partially working at all and just leave it alone.?

Attachments

• Image_2020-07-30 13_06_56_077.JPG
    Image_2020-07-30 13_06_56_077.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 304

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say that if you got it working, and this is your first soldering repair ever, leave it alone.
You can try to get some solder into that trace and the pin if you have a really small soldering tip, just use some sticky flux and apply it with a needle, then apply solder to bridge the trace and pin with a needle-like soldering tip. Then clean it all with 99% IPA and blow it all off with an air duster or compressed air.
What temperature were you using your heat gun at?

Reactions: Ttm3

Ttm3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i have a broken switch which i tried to repair on my own with no prior knowledge or skills in electronics. Watch a few youtube vids and gave it a shot. Results were less than spectacular for my first attempt but the switch did start working again.however only in handheld mode and not docked. I uploaded a pic of my work which is a bit of a mess. In the pic you can see a metal pad has slid a bit from under the ic chip. What i would like to know is it the reason there is no picture when docked. Also is it possible to slide it back in without removing the chip. Finally how would i go about doing it? Maybe i should be thankful i got it partially working at all and just leave it alone.?

Did this have a bad charge port? I've had this several times with bad charge ports. I usually solder a small trace wire from the ic to the filter. This is exactly what causes it to have no display on the TV.

I'd check the continuity on that filter also

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did this have a bad charge port? I've had this several times with bad charge ports. I usually solder a small trace wire from the ic to the filter. This is exactly what causes it to have no display on the TV.

Do you have a picture of what that looks like? I also cannot dock mine for some reason, i was suspecting a video IC problem, but I would like to see what you have done to fix this issue!

atavol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say that if you got it working, and this is your first soldering repair ever, leave it alone.
You can try to get some solder into that trace and the pin if you have a really small soldering tip, just use some sticky flux and apply it with a needle, then apply solder to bridge the trace and pin with a needle-like soldering tip. Then clean it all with 99% IPA and blow it all off with an air duster or compressed air.
What temperature were you using your heat gun at?

I was using a cheap portable chinese heat gun. It has a digital read out which didnt seem accurate so i put it on max heat. According to the manual it only goes up to 400c. I will try bridging the pin and pad when i get a fine tip iron and report back.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The charge port is fine and the switch is detected by pc. When put in the dock the light turns green but nothing displays

atavol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you make a jumper for a PIUSB chip with a single blown off pad to a filter? I see people mention doing it but not how its done with pics. What type, size wire and how to make the attachment. I would be grateful if someone could explain this. Also thanks for all the helpful responses ive gotton.

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you make a jumper for a PIUSB chip with a single blown off pad to a filter? I see people mention doing it but not how its done with pics. What type, size wire and how to make the attachment. I would be grateful if someone could explain this. Also thanks for all the helpful responses ive gotton.
I haven't yet attempted a wire mod yet. I'll be trying 28 gauge magnet wire first. I can't be sure how much amperage will need to flow through it. may need 26 or 24 guage.

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should the wire be insulated or not?
You should use an insulated wire, so you don't short anything, preferably magnet wire if you have the skills. It'll be lower profile on the board and less likely to cause a fitment issue. If you do not have access to magnet wire, then go ahead with a string of 28 or 30 gauge plastic insulated wire. We use brown color wire at my work. Its usually stranded wire, so tin the end before trying to soldering it to the board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)