need help compressing a retail game

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kaitlin459, May 11, 2013.

1. kaitlin459
    OP

kaitlin459 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    hello i dumped my retail copy of metroid other m and no matter what i do i cant get it to compress the game is a double layer game and at 7 gigs it really clogs up the 32 gig usb flash drive so is there any way i can shrink the game size to say 4 gigs with out affecting the game play sadly my wii cant play burnt coppies of my retail games because its a black wii with the newer drive made after 2009 any help would be apreciated thanks

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The game has ~7GB of data. The only way to make it smaller would be to remove parts of the game, like the video cutscenes. That would reduce the size by a nice chunk, but I don't know how the Wii would handle it. You may need to find a really short cutscene and replace all the longer ones with references to that one or something, I don't know any specifics.

3. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, no. That's not how it works. You'll just have to deal with it if you still want the full game.

4. kaitlin459
    OP

kaitlin459 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    so theres no way i can compress the game

5. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    The short answer is no; not if you want to keep playing it, anyway. Compression is really only useful for storage. As discussed above, you might be able to bring the size down somewhat by stripping out content from the disc image, depending on whether there's anything in the game that's not needed or that you could do without. As an example, a lot of Wii games will store all their FMV content twice: once for 576i/50Hz mode, and once for 480i or 480p/60Hz. This is true even for a lot of NTSC games, so if you get lucky there might be an entire batch of FMVs which you can remove without impacting the game experience. Beyond that, you're getting into more complicated and uglier areas like converting the audio to mono, etc.

Ultimately though, there's no "hands free" way to achieve what you're looking for; if you really want it smaller you'll have to get your hands dirty and the results may not even be worth it.