Hardware Need help about Monitor and Headphone Jack

Justin20020

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hello, in the past, I bought a Monitor with integrated Speakers. After sometime I connected my external speaker in the headphone jack of the monitor to get better sound. Someday as I wasn't at home, my dad stepped in and broke it accidentally out of the headphone jack. As I came home, my dad talk about his dilemma. So I found a cylindrical part of the headphone jack to connect a aux cable to it. And if I put it back to the headphone jack, sometimes it recognized the signal for the internal speaker. It stopped working as the cylindrical part was lose. And if you say 'whats the problem?', the cylindrical part falls ever out of the headphone jack. I don't know to fix it. The warranty of the monitor is expired. I opened already the monitor to check it out if I can something to do by myself but I don't what to do. Can you help me to fix the headphone jack and can get the internal speaker again to work? If you want, I can post pictures about the headphone jack and the cylindrical part of it.

Many thanks for answers

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Which part of jack is this "losing cylindrical part"?
Stereo_jack0825.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if that is a tensioner or also for the ground ring.
If it is just a tensioner then if you can wedge something in there (or use blu tack or something) and it should start working again. Or if it works with the ring and you want to surround it with blu tack or similar then that also plays.
If it also acts as a ground then we have more problems, I don't know if it is going to the same ground as the VGA plug a few mm away or the power.

Were I fixing it for me I would first look at getting a replacement jack but if it is going to be a pain (it probably would be but I live in the parts wasteland that is the UK and I would rather not take a mortgage out to pay shipping charges) I would instead get a headphone extension lead and solder that on instead -- as you see in r1vver's picture there are only three leads so it is not so bad.
Back to blu tack if you need to remove the device that goes into it from time to time then buy an extension, wedge that in there so it does not come out and then

If it is not obvious what pin goes where then the extension lead you just cut in half can be plugged in and you can use a continuity/resistance test of your multimeter to figure out what goes where. Depending on the wire type it might be enamel coated (it will look metallic but the colour will be more intense than normal), in that case burn it off with a lighter (have some water in a small dish or something to put it out quickly as it burns quite well).

Justin20020

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it is the ring. How can I stick it back with blu tack? I think, I need the contact between the ring and the monitor

-edit-

okay I stick it back and it holds. But I didn't get any sound. if I plug a aux cable in it, it won't stuck there. It falls out

Last edited by Justin20020,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That probably insulated it and means it is a ground as well.
I did not mean around the bottom part but on top on the outside.
Take the ring out, clean out any blu tack that might have got in there.
Put it back in
Put the cable in, hold it in place.
Put blu tack around the outside to hold it all together.
Hopefully it should work again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you build it up around the cable/monitor area then yeah pulling it out will probably drop the sound until you remake it.
If that is going to be a problem best buy another cable or an extension lead and leave that in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hi