Hacking Question Need clarification for events that will happen when updating sysMMC firmware, booting through Hekate

dsync

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi fellow gbaTemp'er, so I'm about to boot into OFW Stock via Hekate for the first time, enable Internet connection, and update the sysMMC firmware to latest 12.0.3 to play online. Before I do that, I am trying to confirm whether the following events is correct:

Some Info about my Switch state:

1. Hekate fuse dump shows I have blown 7/6 (13) fuses on my firmware 10.0.2. Checked https://gist.github.com/jonluca/0d7ce7da7c84de5163be0b49b3e319cc and the total is 13.
2. Both of the firmware in sysMMC and emuMMC are the same, 10.0.2.
3. Full NAND backup of sysMMC via Hekate.
4. Recently migrated from SXOS (Core w/ hardware mod on Mariko) to Atmosphere 0.19.3 using Hekate 5.5.6.

My `hekate_ipl.ini`

Code:
[OFW Stock (sysMMC)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp
stock=1

Events:

1. Power on
2. Boot into Hekate payload.
3. Fuse check is skipped since I didn't boot using stock bootloader.
4. Continue booting to Home Menu
5. Connect to Internet
6. Update Firmware request
7. Console check my firmware 10.0.2 is lower than the latest 12.0.2.
8. Console check my fuse blown is 13, and is lower than the 12.0.2 (probably 15 or more).
9. Fuse check valid, blow the remaining fuse until the total matches the expected fuse for 12.0.2
10. Firmware files overwrite.
11. System reboot

On next bootup,
1. Boot into Hekate
2. Check fuse and it should show the total of 15 or more than matches the firmware 12.0.2.

So my questions is:
1. Are the sequence correct?
2. Is it possible to prevent fuse blown during sysMMC firmware update, if I'm already booting to OFW via Hekate bootloader?

As this is a one-time process, I'm trying to confirm that I am aware for the events that is going to unfold once I pull the plug. Call me paranoid ^_^

Last edited by dsync,

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to prevent fuse blown during sysMMC firmware update, if I'm already booting to OFW via Hekate bootloader?
It's quite possible. Just update via Daybreak instead of the official method. If you're feeling really ballsy, you can update via the official method, while having a jig in your joy con rail, and hold Vol+ when the system reboots automatically. Make sure to re-add autoRCM straight away.

Disclaimer: I have an unpatched unit. I'm not sure if having the SX Core changes anything.

Reactions: dsync

dsync

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks! I just did more reading and found that the fuse is only burn in the bootloader, instead of during firmware update. I don't have CFW on the sysMMC, only at the emuMMC, so updating on Horizon OS is the only choice for me.

On second thought, correct me if I am wrong, since I have the Mariko and SX Core hardware mod, I don't think I will need to do the autoRCM method, and Mariko doesn't support it anyways. To verify that the system never boot into Horizon OS using stock bootloader, I tried to unplug the microSD card, and the system just hang at blank screen. This might be good since it will never have a chance to boot the stock bootloader in case of completely emptied battery, and having to worry that recharging it will auto boot to stock bootloader.

I am so close to update my sysMMC to enjoy online play for the first time, but will probably wait a couple of days if someone else have more comments.

dsync

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I think I'm all set now and understand when the fuse is burnt. Just bought more legit game and will go online for the first time tomorrow!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! I just did more reading and found that the fuse is only burn in the bootloader, instead of during firmware update. I don't have CFW on the sysMMC, only at the emuMMC, so updating on Horizon OS is the only choice for me.

On second thought, correct me if I am wrong, since I have the Mariko and SX Core hardware mod, I don't think I will need to do the autoRCM method, and Mariko doesn't support it anyways. To verify that the system never boot into Horizon OS using stock bootloader, I tried to unplug the microSD card, and the system just hang at blank screen. This might be good since it will never have a chance to boot the stock bootloader in case of completely emptied battery, and having to worry that recharging it will auto boot to stock bootloader.

I am so close to update my sysMMC to enjoy online play for the first time, but will probably wait a couple of days if someone else have more comments.
Since you have a Mariko unit, fuses are kind of irrelevant. I don't even think you would need to boot OFW through Hekate just to update online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious