OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SO!
Next year of college I'm living in a room with two of my best friends.
We're gonna be hosting most, if not all of the drinking sessions next year.
Which means we need our room to be the safest place to drink in all of our dorm building.
Plans have already started to form, with a lockable fridge, setting up a bag with cans of empty soda in it, stuff like that.
However, what would make it incredible is if we were to have some sort of camera/motion detector thing that could be placed by the door to the suite
(It's an interesting setup this dorm has, it enters a suite first, then there are hallways to rooms and stuff)
Whenever something broke a certain plane, or if a camera detected motion it would notify me on my comp.
A live stream would be the best, as it would mean we could see if someone with a clipboard was walking through the door and we didn't need to panic every time.
Anyway, anybody got any suggestions.
I'll take whatever you've got, even if it's ridiculous amounts of money, and I'll work my way down.
So yup...

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds what you want is a simple CCTV system.

You can go as cheap as a Webcam + PC or an actual setup. I think the problem would be mounting it and/or having it be a violation of some sort.
A quick search for "webcam motion alert software" brings up this: http://www.video-surveillance-guide.com/we...on-software.htm I'm sure a more indepth search could net better.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about a monitor attached to your PC dedicated to running the feed of a webcam outside of your suite?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Laser tripwire
ph34r.gif

tripwire.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First allow me to crack a smile at all this effort to get boozed up when in tertiary education. I struggle to imagine what happens in such situations when booze is not "you can buy as much as you have funds for".

Secondly it is not so much the random passer by you have to worry about- it is the people that attend your sessions especially if they are in effect open to all and sundry (it takes just one idiot to post it up or mention it in passing and well there is a reason it takes quite a bit of effort to find someone able to do undercover work). Whether you want to go full misinformation or not is a different matter.

Secondly why not do it like proper teenagers and get drunk in the woods or round a house with lax/absent/clued up authority types like everybody else?

As for methods- befriend an engineer (electrical preferably but any will do) or someone in applied computing. Far easier to rig something up if you have somebody that knows what they are doing.

D

Deleted-273695

FAST6191 said:
First allow me to crack a smile at all this effort to get boozed up when in tertiary education. I struggle to imagine what happens in such situations when booze is not "you can buy as much as you have funds for".

Secondly it is not so much the random passer by you have to worry about- it is the people that attend your sessions especially if they are in effect open to all and sundry (it takes just one idiot to post it up or mention it in passing and well there is a reason it takes quite a bit of effort to find someone able to do undercover work). Whether you want to go full misinformation or not is a different matter.

Secondly why not do it like proper teenagers and get drunk in the woods or round a house with lax/absent/clued up authority types like everybody else?

As for methods- befriend an engineer (electrical preferably but any will do) or someone in applied computing. Far easier to rig something up if you have somebody that knows what they are doing.
I second that.
Also the dealextreme.com tip.
Just don't go doing stupid shit, please.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ihackedit said:
FAST6191 said:

I second that.
Also the dealextreme.com tip.
Just don't go doing stupid shit, please.
Heh, we do stupid shit all the time, but we'll be fine.

We don't really invite just anyone to our... sessions, just people we actually wanna hang out with.
So leak of information won't really be much of a worry.
And yeah, I'll see if I can come across someone who knows what they're doing.
Though still, we don't need to do any of this, just a silly project that I figured would be a bit outrageous, but fun/funny.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1826767-REG/apple_mvv83ll_a_11_ipad_pro_wifi.html?sc_src=e...