Need a little help with Drivekey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by KaiWren, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009
  1. KaiWren
    OP

Newcomer KaiWren Advanced Member

United States
    Just received my drivekey from overstockdistributing.com (a week late, i might add). Inserted a backup disc and i get a "turn off your wii and troubleshoot" type error. Originals work fine, but going into the drive key menu, i'm not able to select anything. it loads the menu and acts like it freezes, can't move the cursor, can't change any settings, and can't back out of it, save by turning off the wii. am i doing something wrong? i've heard i need to use dvd-r's, and i have dvd+/-r's, is that my issue? also, how am i supposed to navigate the drivekey menu? i've tried the wiimotes, but they blink like the console's not on, and i've tried GC controllers, 3rd party, and original nintendo, and nothing.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Omgwtfisthat

Member Omgwtfisthat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Apparently, you use the reset button your wii to navigate in the settings. Also, the drivekey apparently won't play trucha signed discs. I might be wrong though.

3. KaiWren
    OP

United States
    So, if i have wii ISO's stored on my pc, and burn them onto DVD's, is that the same as trucha signing? i'm not trying to boot any homebrew, or anything like that, just backup copies.

4. Omgwtfisthat

Member Omgwtfisthat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Again, I'm not sure about the bit about it not playing trucha-signed discs. I was planning on getting a drivekey so I was reading around and that's what I saw a fair amount of people say on forums. Anyway trucha signed discs are like scrubbed games.... y'know.

5. KaiWren
    OP

United States
    Well, after doing a bit o' research, apparently with a panasonic dv-112D burner, you can't change the booktype which is necessary if you're using DVD+R's. went out and got some Verbatim -R's, like everyone suggests, i'll keep you posted if that works. The reset button does indeed navigate through the settings, i must've overlooked that.

6. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a xenowii version 2 today.....its a generic drivekey from china which is half the cost. If plays all my backup disk.....all were brickblocked etc. One problem with SSBB though, it wont work. Someone in here told me truncha signed meant if I BB it then it was truncha signed....but they all work but the one. Mine is a new wii, got it from nintendo today, with 4.0 on it. good luck

7. afnuke

United States
  8. KaiWren
    OP

United States
    So, Drivekey does indeed work as prescribed with the correct media, although, i have noticed some horrible skipping in intro movies, most notably, SMG, and Wario Land: Shake It. games without streaming movies work like a dream though, still for 60 bucks, i'd like to have seen a full speed option...

9. afnuke

United States
    An update from my post above. Used imgburn, set layer break on a dvd-9 for SSBB and it works fine, a little lag on the intro. So the xenowii version 2 seems to be compatible on all games as of current. Did you find how to navigate the menu on the drivekey ???

10. KaiWren
    OP

United States
    Sure did, quick taps to the reset button to move between selections, hold down the reset button to change settings. Brawl needs to be a dual layer disc, right? will using this method work for other games?

11. afnuke

United States
    I used Nero to burn all mine, it worked for all of them, excluding SSBB.....with that one the layer break has to be set to 2084960. Nero wont let me set the layer break and I used the new version of imgburn which will. Dvd-9 is a DL disk. I used 2.4X speed and did mine on a cheap memorex, just like most of the disc I have. Works fine. Theres some lag at the intro video.....heck, but it seemed to play fine on the rest so far.

12. KaiWren
    OP

United States
    Yeah, the intro movies on some of the bigger ticket games, like SSBB, and Super Mario Galaxy, stutter ALOT. games are totally playable though, so it's not too huge of a deal