White Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
The Prince of Codes said:
I knew Flashcarts wouldn't work on it.

And frequent firmware updates will prevent any new flashcarts from working.

Only hope is exploits and loading from SD cards.

But I'm still not getting a DSi, its full of fail.

people who say things are fail are full of fail.

Well lets see,

Pros

Camera = I'd never use it
Mp3 Playback = I use my PSP for that and I could jut use Moonshell on my iTouch
Game and software downloads = I don't even download them on my Wii
SD support = They should have made a deal with Sony to use Memory Stick Pro Duo, it reads faster than SD and its slightly smaller.

Cons

No more GBA slot = Ruins games like Harvest Moon DS & DS Cute that need a GBA game in slot 2 to unlock extra characters. Also it means you cant hack games using Datel's Trainer Toolkit.
Flashcarts are blocked = Future firmware updates will keep any new ones from working.
There might not be enough exploitable bugs for homebrew to be loaded from the SD card.
Also if flashcarts are blocked so are Action Replay and Codebreaker.

Sounds full of fail to me.

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
One question that has yet to be answered. While flash carts are confirmed not working, Still to be tested, are the 2 cheat carts, Action replay, and Code Breaker. Action replay is a remove and insert game card type, and the code breaker is a pass through type. (also could act as remove and insert game card with firmware updates.)

Finally, we might just have to look at one attack vector that hasn't been looked at yet. Save game vulnerabilities, and Wireless communication vulnerabilities.

Wireless communication vulnerabilities would be the DS/DSL sending the signed loader to the DSi, (extracted from a game), then sending malformed data packets to that loader, causing the DSi to execute unintended code.

Then there are save game vulnerabilites that could be utilized as well. Mario Kart DS has a 256KiB save file, which IIRC, is copied in full over to main ram, and only copied back to the save when changes are made. If a stack smash is found somewhere, that smash could jump into that ram location. The game does encrypt its save, but that isn't a problem.

One more idea. Remember the Passme, and Passme2? What we have to try, is seeing if the DSi is using white listing or black listing. If it is using Whitelisting, then modifying something simple in the header won't work at all, as this would break the white list. If it is using black listing, which would be every flash cart / cheat cart that nintendo knows about, then a simple header modification should work.

The other thing, is that there is a 16KiB Secure area that can not be read out once the game card is in its final read mode. Only the first 2 KiB IIRC, was blowfish encrypted. At this point, there is some code stored there. They might have also stored other important info there, that up until now, Nintendo has never bothered to verify, like RSA signatures. If that is the case, then no unlicensed cards will ever work on the DSi, without nintendo's private key.

davislim

Trophies
Website
davis91lim.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
Senegal
dsi is great as it has better sound system.....erm......n yeah onli the sound system....

BUY A DSI now>>>
incredible cameras tat takes blur images
bigger screen for fatter mario
cool power buttons for accidental shutdown of game while playing
short power lasting for you to get chained by the charger while playing

all of you juz go buy it as its great....while i juz stick wif my DSL...

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What about future releases? Will they be compatible with older DS's? One could think that, if older games are troublesome with the DSi newer games could be troublesome with DS phat or DSL...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fermio100 said:
What about future releases? Will they be compatible with older DS's? One could think that, if older games are troublesome with the DSi newer games could be troublesome with DS phat or DSL...
What do you think would happen if that were the case? Riots against Nintendo.

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
granville said:
fermio100 said:
What do you think would happen if that were the case? Riots against Nintendo.
Of course it's just a thought, but I can tell I wouldn't be happy, for sure! I like my old NDS lite and am not inclined to buy a new one...

Lametta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
tinymonkeyt said:
im pretty sure people will find a way around to make flashcarts work. unless the DSi is that advanced to prevent any kind of pirating. which i doubt.
This thing that the flashcarts dont work anymore will keep back loads of potential buyers (me included), I wont buy it until a working flashcart comes out. But Im sure that M3, EZ, Supercard and Acekard (and other teams) are starting to experiment because the first one who will discover the working flashcart for Dsi will become rich
tongue.gif

In the meanwhile I play with my old pinky DS Lite
yaynds.gif

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Metal Overlord said:
There's one thing I still wanna know. Can you play DS roms from a Micro SD Card on the DSi?
Of course! You put rom in a SD card, put in DSi and it starts!
yaynds.gif
/sarcasm

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lametta said:
tinymonkeyt said:
im pretty sure people will find a way around to make flashcarts work. unless the DSi is that advanced to prevent any kind of pirating. which i doubt.
This thing that the flashcarts dont work anymore will keep back loads of potential buyers

You mean the less than 1% who pirate games on flashcarts?? I think the DSi is even more of an incentive to those who were starting to lean towards flashcarts. Now they can just play music and movies off their gameboy and it's even a cool new shiny one, too.

PokemonHaker94

Trophies
Website
www.pokemonlegend.net
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
PokemonHaker94 said:
EDGE has failed when i tested it >.>
Thanks for confirmation, but seeing that CycloDS doesn't work, I don't think anybody even thought that EDGE could work, as it's actually clone with the striped down extra functions!
yeah thats true but i thought it would be worth a try

DSMuse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Lots of acusations flying around for something that's been out less than 2 days.

I'm with the: it can probably be hacked crowd. I just don't believe that there is much that can't be hacked, in all honesty. (But I know I'm no technology wiz; so expect holes in my logic.)

I'll likely get it; if they get the flashcards working; I still am hoping for GB, GBC, GBA, and NDS games all loading from a slot1 device, and the DSi is sort of the incentive to try a GBA slot 1 deal. (Because I sure don't want to haul around all my GBA cartridges (Not to mention GBC/GB and a NSP to run them) when I can carry a couple microsd chips and my DS*instert version here*.

And there are you know, legal reasons, to have the games on a flashcard. Or at least arguably moral ones. Such as buying the games but wanting to save space in your pocket, or say, wanting to test out a Japanese version verses an English version. (And for the love of... Japanese & Chinese writing is NOT hard to tell apart!)

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what's up with some old DS games not working. Since I believe the DSi games bought via the store are region coded, but all normal cartridge games that are coming out aren't; because otherwise the folks making cartridge games would lose a big chunk of the market, you know? The DSi is going to sell because it's new, but there are those who will stick with the DS & DSL. So hopefully Nintendo will wise up a little and get to fixing simply because otherwise they are losing a bigger share. Not everyone is going to want to have a DS(L) and a DSi.

That being said, I still want a DSi. They are basically doing things that should have been done with the DS first version, such as enabling WPA internet. And smaller size and better screens are nice. Plus, me being the buyer, I don't exactly need to justify why I want to buy here on this forum, so I don't get this big "it's a waste of money" arguing going on; it's up to the buyers, not like a few posts are really going to change people's minds.

So I'll just sit and wait; have until, what, April-ish (estimated date I think) for it to be out here in US anyway, so that's quite some time for the flashcard people to fiddle with the new toy and get our favorite toys to work on them.

Nayr Rosfar

White Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Camera = decent enough, sure gimmicky, and probably useless, but it is still a feature, and one that would have costed $60 on your PSP.
MP3 Playback = go lug around another system if you want. Although I agree Moonshell does a decent job, but the quality just isn't too good, although I can't say what the quality of the DS is.
Game and software downloads = you can't really argue that you don't download games on your Wii. It's like saying I don't buy computer games, therefore I don't buy Wii games. You have to see what comes out on the DS first.
SD support = are you kidding me? You want pro duos!? They are expensive as hell, and they aren't faster. Although they are smaller. But what does that matter if it fits?

GBA Slot = it is indeed a huge loss, but could you have picked a worse game to talk about?
Flash carts blocked = that is purely speculation, besides, getting a console isn't about finding hacks to get free games... people at GBATemp are all getting the wrong idea...

Anyways... that's my two cents

Not really a speculation about the flashcarts, with firmware updates they can and will block any future flashcarts for the sole purpose of preventing piracy and cheating in games, they even bothered to block out the old GC Action Replay on the Wii even though GC and its cheat device are old news.

Also I really don't download Virtual Console games and Wiiware games. Its a waste of money when you can find the old system and the games used for less than the 5 VC downloads of N64 games. Or if you kept your old console and games like I did, its no cost at all to play.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I'm not going to buy this of course, but how does Download Play work? The same? How hard would it be to modify a package of sent data for DL Play? Maybe sending a strange save file, or corrupted Wi-Fi data that may somehow download an update from somewhere else(least likely)

I hope it gets hacked, well it will, just give it a few months.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 50% closer to getting my teeth fixed +1