Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is the issue. You are only supposed to have 1. (and a Private folder, but this isn't necessary, and is ignored by the app.)

This usually occurs if your console was formatted in the past or you use the same SD card in two consoles. You'll need to figure out which one actually corresponds to your console (it's console specific.)

iirc GodMode9 has a feature to view what your ID0 is.

sapfel93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the issue. You are only supposed to have 1. (and a Private folder, but this isn't necessary, and is ignored by the app.)

This usually occurs if your console was formatted in the past or you use the same SD card in two consoles. You'll need to figure out which one actually corresponds to your console (it's console specific.)

iirc GodMode9 has a feature to view what your ID0 is.
I assumed it was the one that was 90 GB large instead of the one that was 6 lol.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I assumed it was the one that was 90 GB large instead of the one that was 6 lol.
You can very easily test: move one of them out of your SD, then boot the console. If all your titles are still there then you removed the correct one.

And since you are supposed to have only one you can just delete the other one.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Funny side note on Windows 10 at least:
While I was doing a project of moving over my 3DS SD card content to new larger SD card, trying to generate more forwarders during the copying actually triggered the same ID0 error until the copying job was entirely done. Could be that things are just Iffy during stuff like copying though I have a feeling some types of data loss or corruption on the SD card could possibly trigger same ID0 error as well, but also is harder to diagnose than just normally caused ID0 error.

Also yeah Sapfel; the correct folder should correspond roughly 1 to 1 with your installed titles and total size of those, so safe bet that the 90 gig folder is indeed right, if it corresponds to your currently installed title size (minus DSiWare which seems to install into separate DSi NAND portion on 3DS itself etc.) - I used this myself to detect unneeded leftover Nintendo 3DS folders.

Last edited by Sumea,

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Groombridge

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just here to say that this is fantastic! I'd been using Forwarder3DS, and had run into the 40 limit. Not having to juggle a top 40 is amazing!

One quick question - any plans to make this work with flashcards?

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just here to say that this is fantastic! I'd been using Forwarder3DS, and had run into the 40 limit. Not having to juggle a top 40 is amazing!

One quick question - any plans to make this work with flashcards?
I don't have any plans for flashcard support. It's objectively better to just use your flashcart tbh instead of the incredibly wacky solution Forwarder3-DS is doing.

And that's coming from someone with 40 of them.

NeoUmbreon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this not work with wireless microsd management or did I do something wrong? It says it can't find the Nintendo 3ds folder in the log after following the guide

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does this not work with wireless microsd management or did I do something wrong? It says it can't find the Nintendo 3ds folder in the log after following the guide
It does not work with microSD management. You shouldn't even be using that in the first place, it's a large security hole.

It doesn't work with FTP either though, mainly because of the root folder function.

NeoUmbreon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not work with microSD management. You shouldn't even be using that in the first place, it's a large security hole.

It doesn't work with FTP either though, mainly because of the root folder function.
Well, I don't have an sd card reader at the moment, so thought I'd give this a try.
Bummer but thanks for letting me know

EDIT: I thought of a silly way to get around this, which was using my Switch to connect the 3ds's sd card through usb (Hekate) and surprisingly it worked

Last edited by NeoUmbreon,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have an sd card reader at the moment, so thought I'd give this a try.
Bummer but thanks for letting me know
there are usb to sd card readers if you can get ahold of one. also, the security loophole I believe is with smb 1.0, which is what windows 7 used. there's smb 2.0 and I think 3.0 now that fix security issues, but the ps3 and the 360 also can't be mapped as network drives either iirc, due to requiring smb 1.0. you can enable it, but it's not a wise thing to do. the ftp app on the 3ds is slow and unstable in my experience, so it's best to use a direct connection with the sd card. :)

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Could it work with FTP (ftpd pro) though? I hadn't thought of that but you just need a directory listing to check for the IDs right? It would be super nice not having to move the (micro)sd...

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could it work with FTP (ftpd pro) though? I hadn't thought of that but you just need a directory listing to check for the IDs right? It would be super nice not having to move the (micro)sd...
It's specifically finding the root of the drive, which is the pain in the ass. To do it via FTP I probably need to implement FTP functionality itself into the program and that's just too much for my tiny knowledge of any programming language at the moment.

The whole reason this is a thing is because otherwise, actual games people play could be replaced, save files and all. Imagine you have a living dex on Pokemon Y, never used Checkpoint before, and this forwarder just removes it no question. I don't want to be blamed for that. I really tried to work around it without that limitation but I don't think I can because not even Nintendo appears to follow their own rules for their UniqueIDs: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Titles#Title_IDs

Reactions: Yrouel

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool if you could somehow make the icons use the Nintendo ds 3d cart banner that shows up when you insert Nintendo DS games

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It would be cool if you could somehow make the icons use the Nintendo ds 3d cart banner that shows up when you insert Nintendo DS games
I considered reverse engineering this, and ultimately didn't bother with it. The DS banner appears to actually read off the ROM data, and the forwarder contains no ROM data, at least not in the structure the DS banner expects.

So what would probably need to be done is to patch the banner image in directly like NSUI does, but I neither have the skill nor the need for that. I think the current structure is fine. Of course, if you want to try your hand at making your own, be my guest.

Reactions: pietempgba

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to bring back the animated icons for DSi enhanced games (like how Pokemon Black and White had the shaking Pokeball)?

Also, i've followed the guide, and created forwarders for games on my SD card, but when I launch the installed .cia, it ultimately brings me back to the 3DS main menu. However, if I launch the same game in Twilight Menu++, it loads without issue. And I did install the bootstrap.cia file as well, so that isn't the issue.

Reactions: pietempgba

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)