Hacking NDS Lite Replacement Shells are coming

knirfie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still deciding wether I should send my Lite back to the US for warranty, or if I should get me a nice red replacement shell.

Will have to see how the quality is of these, and hope that they will remain crack free...
smile.gif

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to release some new pics and new news! I'm going nuts waiting for this. Haven't touched my DS Lite just so it doesn't crack anymore.

KeYbLaDeXaLcHeMi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if they sell a clear one, couldn't you just spray paint the backside of each piece any color you want?

Magenta FTW!

I'm actually thinking of buying the clear one, just because it reminds me of my clear purple gameboy color. Although I don't intend to spray paint it.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The clear one reminds me more of the clear original gameboy that I always wanted, so thats why I really want it

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you be able to use that semitransparent one for your own design? It would be cool if there were some way to transfer a graphic to the adhesive side of an adhesive paper, then you could just print that out and stick it inside.

riggs

Trophies
XP
Country
I sent an email to them with a few questions, and got the following reply (answers in red);

1. How accurate is the shell compared to the real thing? By accurate, I gather you mean fitting issues. Well, up to now, our specialty has been case mods and it is our mission to make usable shells (unlike some vendors where some modifications have to be done in order to fit the shells). So are we accurate? you bet your bottom dollar we are.
2. Will the shells feature the external plexi covering, or will the plastic just be polished to get the shine effect? The original shells uses a double injection method ie. dual plastic layer for production. Our shells do not have that extra clear plastic layer but the finish is just as shiny and outstandingly good. Our experience with PSP shells have given us the experience and edge.
3. Will the interior of the shells feature the same 'texture' as the real thing? Indeed it already is.
4. How easy/difficult is it to actually take apart a DS Lite and fit the new shell? We are preparing a tutorial to walk users through the entire replacement process. In fact, youtube.com already has a video available (not by us) but it is in Spanish.
5. Will you be offering any kind of 'mix-and-match' package (ie, so I could order a red shell with black buttons for example)? All buttons are strat clear and will not be colored.
6. Will you be including a stylus to match the shell colour? Stylus is excluded as there are plenty in the market.
7. Are you planning on releasing more colours at a later date? Without a doubt.

Also, is it possible to get a shell shipped to the UK? We ship worldwide.

Shame about the button colours, but I'm planning on getting a black shell, and using my existing white buttons...so not too fussed about that.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting. I hope they're not really $35. I probably won't buy one cause I want to keep my warranty.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
How would you be able to use that semitransparent one for your own design? It would be cool if there were some way to transfer a graphic to the adhesive side of an adhesive paper, then you could just print that out and stick it inside.
Yeah, the sticker idea would be awesome, but the inside of the shell would have to be pretty flat. Even with a curved inside though, as long as the shell was transparent enough and the inside was smooth, you, or your very artistic friend
wink.gif
would be able to paint the inside of the shell any color or design. The front of the shell would show it through, all nice and even looking.

I've seen some Macintosh towers that the inside white paint was buffed out and new paint was applied to make a custom mac. I'd love to have a union jack DS (I'm not British, but they have a killer flag) that I could show off. Also, if you're not fortunate enough to have a FFIII DSlite (like some lucky stiffs on this board) you could "stickerfy" some little FF dudes to the inside
laugh.gif

The guys that are making these shells seem to be pretty on the ball. You never know, they might come out with some skinnable shells in the future.

Hell, for 35 bucks, I'll buy one and mod the living crap out of it. I just hope it's more transparent than opaque, we'll see!

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man I wish I was that artistic. I admit my degree in being artistic is limited to having the ability to making decent sketches, and really shoddy cged art pieces. If i were to do any type of painting to save my life...well... I'd need a gameshark to pass that. For 35$ it's a bit pricey since I'd just be swapping the cases, and not modding like you would. I wish I could so much though. Airbrushing would be friggin awesome. But alas, I lack practice in that area, and I lack the time to practice, and the funding, lol. Most I'd do is make a two tone with a black or blue case with white.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
If shipping to the Philippines won't cost an arm and a nose (I love my nose), I'd get around 5 of these, paint them and sell them for $35 again.
ohmy.gif

I really want to know if the upper shell has the clear layer (like the ones in the White DSLs) separately because it would be a bitch to paint underneath the Clear shell if it isn't flat. Though I wouldn't mind painting the outside, it would be better if we can paint them ala FF3 DS with the design beneath the clear layer of plastic.

EDIT: 200th post! Yay! I want to post more but I'm off to school.
rofl2.gif

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahah. I don't think it wil have a seperate clear shell. According to them its more of a glossy coat, so it will look kind of like it, but not really. It would be friggin awesome. I'd just make my own design on the comp print it and glue it there. And also, you know what would make a great game for the DS, Pusoy Dos. I'm sure you know that card game Orc.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hahahah. I don't think it wil have a seperate clear shell. According to them its more of a glossy coat, so it will look kind of like it, but not really. It would be friggin awesome. I'd just make my own design on the comp print it and glue it there. And also, you know what would make a great game for the DS, Pusoy Dos. I'm sure you know that card game Orc.

Damn, I was worried about that clear coat thing, it will be hard to keep the paint on that without much sanding since it's hard to find spraypaint specifically for plastic over here in the Philippines (I'm missing my Krylons)... I might ask about it from my airbrushing friends if I ever get some of those shells... :/

THAT AND:
Dare Demo Asobi Taisen has Daifugou or Big Two which Pusoy Dos is a variant of just with different suit order and some differences in scoring (you can change the rules too in the game).
biggrin.gif
Hopefully Clubhouse Games (or 42 All-Time Classics) which is basically Dare Demo that's English and WFC(!!!) will still have that (AND HANAFUDA, godammit) since it appears from the screenshots that they've taken away some of the more Japanesey games and added others... :/... Damn, Pusoy via on Nintendo Wifi Connect.
ohmy.gif

Yeah I said Japanesey since you're easy breezy.

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late August is gone early September is here, I WANT NEWS ABOUT THIS. Lol. At least they can update with more pictures or something.... Lol.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Late August is gone early September is here, I WANT NEWS ABOUT THIS. Lol. At least they can update with more pictures or something.... Lol.

Here you go

QUOTEUpdate : We have been working hard on getting the correct features on this baby. So do be aware that several things have been updated as we speak and this took a little longer than we expected. We are also ramping up our own production facility with additional equipment to spruce up our operations at the moment and we would like to inform that product launch has been delayed slightly to mid/late September 2006. Do be patient with us and you're sure to be rewarded with another high quality product from Xtreme Enterprise.

neojei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahahah thanks seja8, I just didn't want to think that they somehow abandoned it, lol. Hoping psxbox picks this up and sells it dirt cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?