Homebrew Emulation NDS, GBA emulation experience on the 3DS vs Switch

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
As the title sugested, where do you prefer emulating said handheld and why?

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would prefer 3DS for both. Feels more native than emulating on the switch. Yeah I can play off the big screen but I've done that enough times that its not the same feeling when playing handheld. I've actually bought a DSi LL recently and looks & feels better than the 3DS for NDS games. gba would definitely use 3DS

Reactions: Arcano_cz

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Would prefer 3DS for both. Feels more native than emulating on the switch. Yeah I can play off the big screen but I've done that enough times that its not the same feeling when playing handheld. I've actually bought a DSi LL recently and looks & feels better than the 3DS for NDS games. gba would definitely use 3DS
It does look better with the 3ds smaller screen (especially gba games) since both are pretty low res. But I don't think the DS looks best in the 3ds or switch, both feels identical visual-wise. I do agree with 3ds being much more portable.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both feels identical visual-wise.
what? an emulator can actually improve the resolution greatly while on 3DS you will only see the games at their original resolution the only thing you can really do is make it run as fast as a DSI while by default it runs like a DS

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDS on 3DS is the "right" way to play it compared to Switch - you get the proper dual-screen form factor. It running natively is a plus.

GBA I'm not sure if it makes much difference either way honestly, totally up to preference

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
NDS on 3DS is the "right" way to play it compared to Switch - you get the proper dual-screen form factor. It running natively is a plus.

GBA I'm not sure if it makes much difference either way honestly, totally up to preference
How about switch with a vertical grip?

AlmondMilk12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
personally i use my 2ds xl for both mostly. It just feels right to be playing ds games on a dual screen display and with a stylus if needed. With gba i would usually prefer my 2ds for that too because of it's smaller screen, seeing it on switch feels like it's very zoomed in with how big everything can look.

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ehh, still not quite the same- the touch screen is a different type, for example.

Would definitely be better than playing it without a flip grip tho
I feel that, ds and 3ds pressure sensor feels good when u tap dat with the stylus.

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
personally i use my 2ds xl for both mostly. It just feels right to be playing ds games on a dual screen display and with a stylus if needed. With gba i would usually prefer my 2ds for that too because of it's smaller screen, seeing it on switch feels like it's very zoomed in with how big everything can look.
My only issue with playing ds on 3ds is the color. Using an OLED switch (with standard color screen mode), the color on switch is really good (also sharper) while it's quite gray-ish on the 3ds. Makes me really doubting myself where I should start playing.

AlmondMilk12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
My only issue with playing ds on 3ds is the color. Using an OLED switch (with standard color screen mode), the color on switch is really good (also sharper) while it's quite gray-ish on the 3ds. Makes me really doubting myself where I should start playing.
the 2dsxl screen as well as certain versions of some of the new 3ds and new 3dsxl screens have a really really nice screen that i think is quite sharp and the colours are pretty good too, they wouldnt be like oled tho but they are still quite nice

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
the 2dsxl screen as well as certain versions of some of the new 3ds and new 3dsxl screens have a really really nice screen that i think is quite sharp and the colours are pretty good too, they wouldnt be like oled tho but they are still quite nice
My n3ds xl is bought secondhand in 2017, so I guess that's why the screen quality is not that good. Makes me regret not just buying a brand-new n2ds xl.

Last edited by Uzuka,

Leqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I prefer playing GBA games on the Switch since I can actually use mGBA for fast forward and save states. mGBA does exists on 3DS and PS Vita but it is pretty slow even for games like Pokemon. A shame since I want to play it on the PS Vita since the OLED screen does look better than the IPS screen on my New 3DS XL and Switch. Try checking your 3DS screen type using 3DSident to see if you got the IPS or TN screens. Since you do have the OLED Switch, might as well play it there.

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I prefer playing GBA games on the Switch since I can actually use mGBA for fast forward and save states. mGBA does exists on 3DS and PS Vita but it is pretty slow even for games like Pokemon. A shame since I want to play it on the PS Vita since the OLED screen does look better than the IPS screen on my New 3DS XL and Switch. Try checking your 3DS screen type using 3DSident to see if you got the IPS or TN screens. Since you do have the OLED Switch, might as well play it there.
Is there a way to upscale your resolution in mGBA or other cores in RA? I can't seem to find it in the core settings, etc.

Last edited by Uzuka,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For wut