Hacking Naruto EX + WiiKey?

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my WiiKey in the mail today and I'm having some issues.

I have a legit copy of both Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 (for the gamecube) and a legit copy of Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (for the Wii). Taisen 4 (gamecube) works fine on my Wiikey-modded system. Taisen EX shows the game logo in the disk channel and when you click it, it goes fullscreen with the character voice saying the name of the game. When you click "Start game", the screen goes black and no loading occurs.

So to sum it all up... both are legit, imported copies.

Gamecube version works like a charm.
Wii version brings up title screen on wii menu, but goes to black past the wii menu.

Again, it's a legit copy of the game so no burning issues are the cause. Any ideas on what I could try or what could be wrong? Thanks!

Edit: When you click "Play Game" the screen goes to black, and any wiimotes connected to the system are shut off. The system wont respond to the power or reset buttons at this time. The eject button ejects the game but does not cause the system to regain functionality. The only way to get functionality back is to disconnect power from the system and reconnect it.

Edit #2: Taisen 4 freezes before or immediately after the first match, I discovered later in the thread.

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmed. Legit imported copy of the game. Doesn't get past the first fight in single player battle. I'm going to attempt to play through a 2-player match.

Does anyone have a different chip that's running these games properly?

I'd be somewhat irritated if I waited so long for the WiiKey and it's the only one with this problem. lol!
wtf.gif

Edit: Just got done getting through a 2-player match. Same freeze. Interestingly enough, the power button works after the freeze, unlike when Taisen EX crashes. However the reset button is still broken after the freeze. Also, ejecting the game does not unfreeze the system.

Also in the news... my GCN backups ASIDE from the Naruto series work just fine. Pretty irritating.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a WiiKey yet, but it's ordered and shipped out. I can test out Naruto GNT 4 and Bleach GC imported games when I get it. Won't be able to test EX as I don't have it. I was planning on burning it when I got the chip... any confirmation that burned copies work as opposed to legit import. That would be pretty odd if the burned one worked while the legit one didn't.

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bleach GC burn is working fine.
Naruto Taisen 1 burn freezes at the "x VS x" screen, just before it cuts to the fight.
Naruto Taisen 2 burn does the same as Taisen 1.

What's got me in a mood about it is... Taisen EX is the whole reason I even grabbed a chip. =(

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a backup. Here's my experience so far:

Bleach GCN Backup = Plays fine... finished a few matches with no problem
Naruto 1 GCN Backup = Freeze before match
Naruto 2 GCN Backup = Freeze before match
Naruto 4 GCN Legit import = Freeze before match on everything but single player battle. Freeze after single player match completion.
Naruto EX Wii Legit import = Freeze immediately after clicking "Play game" in Wii menu... black screen only... system unresponsive

All legit copies of native US Wii/GCN games = still playing fine
All backup copies of native US GCN games = still playing fine

Seems like it's either a general import issue or specifically a Naruto issue. Very lame. With the popularity of the Gekitou Taisen series you'd think someone in the WiiKey group would've tested them a couple of times.
dry.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's not just a wiikey issue, naruto doesn't seem compatible with any of the current mod chips nor with the region free patcher, and the wiikey only offers around 70% compatibility - maybe naruto games are in the 30% that don't work.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i don't think its something they can "fix" so easily, like what was posted above naruto falls in that 30%, tough luck until thats fixed you won't be able to play the games! Maybe one day new code will be made, but who knows?

mslugx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's odd, i thought wiikey has 99% of successful reate of booting different ntsc region games, looks like this is not the case.

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not just a wiikey issue, naruto doesn't seem compatible with any of the current mod chips nor with the region free patcher.

We wouldn't know if it works with the region free patcher until at least one mod chip can run it, right? All the region free patcher does is change the actual region code in the header of the game. If the legit copy of the game wont even run on a supposed region free console, certainly a backup wont work, patched or not... UNLESS the fix for this ends up being some kind of hack to the game itself to cause it to work on chipped systems.

and the wiikey only offers around 70% compatibility - maybe naruto games are in the 30% that don't work.

I just want to point out that it doesn't say that anywhere on their site. The only thing it says at all about the US vs. Jap regions is "Direct boot of different NTSC region Wii games/backups on US and JAP consoles". That's 100% not 70%. There's no "your mileage may vary" about that sentence.

In fact, go through their news. "7/02/28: Neoasic have made a first survey of the wiikey. It really plays US/J NTSC region free and is truly upgradable via disc." I wouldn't have bought into the thing this early had there been a disclaimer saying some games just don't work.

The only regions it even hints to partial support is NTSC vs PAL regions which have ALWAYS been problematic because the hardware can't always output the two different broadcast standards. It's a per game situation as to whether or not it works. Jap and US regions are both NTSC, so once the system is reading games from another region it should be smooth sailing from there.

At any rate... I feel pretty confident that if these games are working half-way like this that they can fix it with an upgrade.

atka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We wouldn't know if it works with the region free patcher until at least one mod chip can run it, right? All the region free patcher does is change the actual region code in the header of the game. If the legit copy of the game wont even run on a supposed region free console, certainly a backup wont work, patched or not... UNLESS the fix for this ends up being some kind of hack to the game itself to cause it to work on chipped systems.

The Wii isn't region free though.

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii isn't region free though.

Not by default, no.

The purpose of the chip is to cause the system to think all disks are from its native region.

"7/02/28: Neoasic have made a first survey of the wiikey. It really plays US/J NTSC region free and is truly upgradable via disc."

That's the whole purpose here, dude.

mickeyash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a legit copy. It is 100% real and purchased from a retailer in Hong Kong. It is not loading on my NTSC-US Wii with a WiiKey installed.

In fact, it freezes at the same point as everyone elses chips. Black screen immediately after the logo screen.

No, it doesn't work at all. It wasn't a bad dump of the game... it wasn't the other chips. It's all the chips, and any copy of the game. 0% functionality right now.

The only way to play EX right now is on a Japanese Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1