Hacking NAND Dissection/Analysis

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of this topic is to dissect the Wii's internal hard drive also known as NAND. Most of the data here is copied directly from a file I made containing all my knowledge on the NAND most of it derived by messing around with SNEEK.

You will likely find this interesting if you're:
1.) Working with SNEEK/UNEEK (So you can copy info directly from one NAND to another
2.) Simply interested in how the Wii works

Update1: I'm moving the NAND table to a regular Spreadsheet on gdocs so I can more easily manage the table (I can download it and work with it offline). The link to the old table is below and the new table is: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...V1TUE&hl=en
Hopefully I'll be able to consolidate data even better pretty soon but, for now I'm just going to convert the table, update this post, then get back to my real work.

Update2: Finished rewriting the NAND Table in SpreadSheet format. The old sheet is still there but, the key is completely removed as I used the cut and paste method during conversion. The old link is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m2HPYlv...wUgs/edit?hl=en
If there's any problems with the new link/format then please give me a shout. I have a 1440x900 pixel screen (17") so I tend to write things to fill that space. If a lot of people are having issues I can try to shrink some of the tables cells.

Update3: Updated NAND Table2 on gdocs. Updated this OP a bit by removing some old data (that's better handled elsewhere). Also added a couple notes/question.

Update4: Updated NAND Table2 on gdocs (a lot (day before this update to the post)). Updated this OP with some BB Code like spoiler tags and strikeouts. It should be a lot less of an eyesore now.

Update5: Updated NAND Table2 on gdocs (see the changelog at the top of the spreadsheet). As stated in the changelog I won't have regular net access for a while. Not mentioned in the changelog is that I don't have home internet and I'm on Winter Break until January 10. Once the new year starts I'll see how much time I have online to devote to this project again. At this point most of what's left to do is formatting and Q's and A's. If anyone has any information to add to my sheets as they stand now's the time to post (Note: I'm more likely to notice your comments if you either post or PM me, even with my folder system my 10+ emails a day are very hard to keep organized
smile.gif
)

Update6: Finally got around to making a Definitions Table and Tidbits doc. Removed extra copies of data thus making this post a little less of an eyesore. (Sorry it took so long).

I'm hoping that this information will prove useful to somebody and that some of my own questions throughout this process will be answered. So without further ado (below is my file on the NAND with very few modifications, note copy and paste butchered it pretty bad and actually deleted some things so I had to manually recopy some data):
The post is quite different now from the original file I made.

FIRST OFF SOME BASICS:
Removed since is pretty much covered in the spreadsheet.

This section contains data on all the files I know of.

Due to the sheer size of this section I'm keeping it in a spoiler tag
Or at least that was my plan. Since The preview is showing me that it's just going to remove all formatting whatsoever as well as the \ in the paths of the table I'm instead going to put this on my google docs site for download. Sorry if it's a pain but, that's the only way I can get this working.

Overall the gdocs thing has actually proven quite useful as I've been able to work offline with Excel. I posted elsewhere in this thread but, I'll ask here as well: If anyone knows a way to integrate gdocs into a spoiler tag please tell me so I can get the overall effect I was looking for earlier.

Below are the links:
Nand Table 2: Contains all the info I have on the Wii's NAND folder structure (where stuff is saved and how it works).
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...V1TUE&hl=en

Definitions: Contains Definitions that may prove useful when reading my NandTable.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...FKV1E&hl=en

TidBits: Contains interesting and useful information like how to transfer Mii's.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...0yQnc&hl=en

And that so ends my current data: Corrections/New Data is more than welcome though I may not be able to keep up on this so if someone else decides to take over the project (someone with a lot more time/knowledge to work with it) it's more than welcome. Just be sure to get all the information from this thread and make a link back to this thread in your OP. And send me a message so I know you took over so I can update this OP with a link to the new thread.

Edit: The table is now completely reformatted into a table format (since it wasn't keeping it's formatting otherwise/was deleting some data).

Edit2: I plan on going through the database on wiibrew (thanks to giantpune for showing me this) to update some info on my data sheet as well as this OP. In time I may make multiple data sheets for the NAND dissection as the current one focuses on Save Data/Channels (in other words the /title and /ticket folders). If there's enough info about /Shared and /Shared2 to make a good table I'll probably make that my next project.

Edit ?: Have actually edited a few times and have switched to marking updates with an Updates section above.

To Do:
Finish Tables

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
i dont thing theres much you can say that hasnt already been said here

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Category:Wii_Filesystem

I actually searched for quite a while before for a NAND dissection/analysis before and never came across this page. It should provide quite a bit of info but, I think the final format of my table may be a bit nicer for a quick reference to save file/channel locations. Not sure if you read what I've got thus far yet (I'm about to work a little more on fixing the table up into an actual table format).

Edit: As mentioned in my OP the table is now complete as for the knowledge I had before. I plan on adding data from that site to complete my knowledge and possibly make a new table for /Shared and /Shared2.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
OriginalHamster said:
How can open my NAND.bin backup direct to view the contents in my PC?

You can't, you have to extract it first. I use ShowMiiWads, but there are other apps specifically for extracting BootMii NAND dumps. Then you just view the files in a normal file browser.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
OriginalHamster said:
How can open my NAND.bin backup direct to view the contents in my PC?

You can't, you have to extract it first. I use ShowMiiWads, but there are other apps specifically for extracting BootMii NAND dumps. Then you just view the files in a normal file browser.

I use ShowMiiWads to view the tickets and learn from it but, I use SneekyCompiler to extract the Nands. I seem to have misplaced the link but, if someone else post it here I'll add it to the OP or possibly create a useful links file.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
megazig said:
seeing as SneekyCompiler is a glorified batch script, why not use the real program that it calls upon?

I could but, since I use multiple tools from it and it simplifies the process incredibly it's more preferable for me and probably a lot of others who like the simple GUI it offers.

Also, I recently used SneekyCompiler to add SD support to my SNEEK+DI install by modifying the source code it calls upon (basically I used just the part of the SNEEK+DI quick guide I needed without having to download any files or programs that I didn't already have). I used ModMii to build my regular SNEEK+DI install since it's seems to produce a cleaner copy and when I first tried SneekyCompiler I ran into some errors. I also use ModMii for game extraction and when possible to download things (yes I know I could use NUS downloader for that but, ModMii makes it easier).

For anyone who's wondering the instructions for adding SD support to SNEEK+DI are found in the (I believe) troubleshooting section of the SNEEK+DI quick guide. It is however very risky and unreliable (it won't brick the system but, you want to have a backup of your NAND). I'm using only while attempting to install HBC to my SNEEK NAND which I think I may be getting closer to accomplishing (I found out that cIOS36 is cIOS249 apparently but, the newest versions won't work with WadCreator. Research says that rev17 is my best bet so I'm currently looking for a way to install that offline).

I got really busy recently with school and such so I've not had a chance to do that much research nor the chance to reorganize the data I have collected (hence the notes at the top of NAND.txt). Hopefully, I'll get a break soon and I'll be able to make this into a really good resource for everyone.

P.S. What I'd really like to do is ask where I could find cIOS but, since I'm pretty sure that's against the rules I'll just continue to google for new sources.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been doing some research and found that cIOS36, 38, and 249 are apparently the same. This wasn't made clear to me before but, if this is right then I can use a cIOS38 rev17 WAD to replace my current cIOS249 rev20 which should fix an issue with WadCreator which I want to use to try and get an HBC Wad to fix HBC on my SNEEK NAND.

If someone's curious as to what I'm talking about search for the SNEEK+DI quick guide (which I've mentioned a lot) and look at installing Home Brew Channel on SNEEK NAND. It mentions using WadCreator and ShowMiiWads to install HBC to the SNEEK NAND but, it doesn't mention the current issues with rev20 of the cIOS or the fact that 36, 38, and 249 are the same.

P.S. I'm still pretty busy overall and am only online right now because I'm visiting a friend with home internet but, I do plan on consolidating information within a couple of weeks.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
grnorris said:
Been doing some research and found that cIOS36, 38, and 249 are apparently the same. This wasn't made clear to me before but, if this is right then I can use a cIOS38 rev17 WAD to replace my current cIOS249 rev20 which should fix an issue with WadCreator which I want to use to try and get an HBC Wad to fix HBC on my SNEEK NAND.

36/38 refers to the BASE IOS used to create the cIOS. 249 is the SLOT which you install it to rev17/20 is the VERSION of the cIOS. Early revs of the cIOS used base 36, then he changed to 38, now you can choose between several bases (and even install to any slot >200). Personally I've had the best luck with base 38 as 249 (because other bases sometimes don't agree with some homebrew) and base 56 as 250 (for great improvements in USB loading).

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
grnorris said:

36/38 refers to the BASE IOS used to create the cIOS. 249 is the SLOT which you install it to rev17/20 is the VERSION of the cIOS. Early revs of the cIOS used base 36, then he changed to 38, now you can choose between several bases (and even install to any slot >200). Personally I've had the best luck with base 38 as 249 (because other bases sometimes don't agree with some homebrew) and base 56 as 250 (for great improvements in USB loading).

Thanks for the clarification on that. What I read did say 36/38 are the bases and 249 is the slot but, I hadn't read about the ability to select different slots. If you could provide more information on how to create the different revs and install them that would be great. I used a cIOS38 installer I found to which had the necessary files and installed to 249 and I have the wads from the SoftMod guide but, I've never found out how to compile them myself. As I said previously I had to use rev17 when to use WadCreator as at least rev20 breaks something with the USB loading method it uses (though rev20 does work for CFG).

For further clarification (for other users):
Since IOS' are Individual Operating Systems (I've also seen them be called something Input/Output)
A base is: The Wii Operating System the Customized Operating System is built around (38 obviously has something that 36 doesn't that makes it a better base).
A Slot is: The folder/file location of the cIOS that the Wii uses to select it. In the case of 249 it's ticket /tickets/00000001/000000f9.tik and the corresponding folder /title/00000001/000000f9

If I've asked anything that breaks the rules then please just say so (I want this to be a great and useful tool and that won't happen if it get's taken down). I know it gets a bit iffy with cIOS and wads sometimes.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to ask in my previous post. Does anyone know if there's a way to integrate a document into a spoiler tag in a post. If I could find some way of doing that I could change my OP to be more like I wanted it (with the table inside of a spoiler tag) rather than having a link to my google docs. I'm also thinking of trying to convert my entire NAND file into some form of spreadsheet. If I could work with an xml file and simply upload newer versions that would allow me to do some work offline.

Currently I'm trying to figure out the spreadsheet thing.

Edit: And just that fast I've figured out how to download an xml (I had to create a new spreadsheet as I was using a document (equivocally Word). The new file is at this point blank but, I'll begin moving data quite soon: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq...V1TUE&hl=en

Edit2: I've finished the new table and my OP has been updated. Since I used a lot of time today that I really didn't have on this, it may be a couple days before I update again.
mini-edit: Realized that my Edit2 sounded like gibberish so I reworded it.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if editing a post will bring a thread back to life but, since I've not seen a whole lot of activity I figured I should post. I've actually made a lot of improvements to my OP and to my Table since making this thread so I'm hoping that someone will Find it interesting/useful.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I haven't updated anything lately. I don't have home internet and the holidays meant the library was closed/I didn't have time to get to the library. Come the 10th I should be back in school and have internet access 5 days a week again.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that I've now switched to using Uneek+DI instead of Sneek+DI. So far I've found that there's far less problems when loading this way. I've also got another Wii in my house now but, I can't hack this one (at least not until the warranty's over). What I'm doing now is just using the new Wii for games and the old Wii has some games and a hopefully soon enough some WiiWare.

If anyone has any useful information for this project please do post. The easiest info you can give me is the title slots for save files. Obviously enough I have no intention of buying every single game.

For those that are confused about Sneek+DI/Uneek+DI: Both require an external hard drive to store games on but, Sneek+DI uses the SD card for NAND and the USB for Homebrew whereas Uneek+DI uses the USB for NAND and the SD for Homebrew. At this point in time I still haven't gotten HBC to work on Sneek/Uneek and I don't have much time right now to try and work it out so for now if I want to use Homebrew I'll just load it through the old Wii without Sneek/Uneek.

Note also: Uneek still uses the SD card and bootmii to redirect the Wii to the USB instead of it's internal hard drive.

grnorris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated my OP and uploaded a Definitions Table and a Tidbits doc. Sorry it took so long, while I thought I'd be able to get back to work as soon as I got back to school my horrible schedule and some family stuff have prevented me from doing much of anything useful. Even the time this has taken should've really been spent on other things but, it bugged me that I made a promise and never got around to working on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro