N64 USB Adapter

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Robert McCoy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...=M98V78AK9E9H96FBNEMX&dpPl=1&dpID=71lJ2+s4mRL

This is the product I'm looking at. Do you think it will work to play my n64 on my PC or perhaps even on a projector? It looks like some people have used it for their PS2 and for old VCR on their PC. I'm more interested in doing it on a projector. But on my PC would still be bad ass as well. Reason I'm not doing it on my HDTV is because it looks like shit. Do not tell me to use an emulator. This is about hardware.

2. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    It should work fine, it will still look crap though. The only way to make an original n64 look good is either use an old crt tv or get one of those hdmi kits, but they cost far too much.

3. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    hmm... okay. also i]I looked for the Ultra HDMI for n64 and they aren't in stock on any website. It's cheaper to install/solder it yourself then to send it in but like I said, not in stock :/

4. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    It works ok for the n64. I stream my n64 with it. It wont upscale the video though

5. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Seriel's Original Stalker

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    latency is terrible for fast-paced games.

injection18 likes this.
  6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    XRGB Framemeister ftw

7. Pienkaito

Pienkaito Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Austria
    I would agree to this, if it wasn't for the price tag. Under the assumption that OP isn't an enthusiast for retro gaming, it's not worth it for one console.

8. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Agreed it's steep but so so worth it!

9. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    PS2 and N64, and Wii are the only "composite" cable consoles I have. The N64 is the only one I want to upscale to not look blurry and have stretched out pixels. I tried changing it from 16:1 to 4:3 to see if that would help but it still has stretched pixels on my HDTV. I don't have a CRT TV anymore and I don't want to get one because I don't even know where I'd set it up in the house tbh. I looked into Framemeister and yeah I might as well buy the HDMI ULTRA mod for n64 for that price tag. However, the ultra mod is sold out everywhere I've looked because I actually did think about saving up for that. Anyways, so far the only conclusion I can think of for now is using S-Video cables, but I don't think my console supports that because it's the jungle green Funtastic console.

edit: I did buy an HDMI upscaler plug in for the PS2 and it looks much better than the composite cables do. It doesn't magically give it HD graphics, it just stops the TV from stretching out the pixels and blurring it out, but I can't find anything like this for the N64 aside from the framemeister.

Last edited by Robert McCoy, Mar 24, 2017
  10. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    This will have a 5-8 second input delay. It won't work for what you're planning.

11. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    Is the rgb mod or the ultra hdmi mod the best course of action?

12. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    You would need an upscaler. Its the cheapest and best solution. I use this for my NES. It allows both HDMI input and will also get rid of any input lag that composite would normally give you on an HD TV

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composite-CVBS-Converter-Input/dp/B00I482KZI

13. viral777

viral777 mecha connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009
    United States
    the easycap is such a POS.

14. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    You could try to get an RGB Mod and a Ossc.

15. Robert McCoy
    OP

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    What is an ossc? Not trying to sound stupid but I do know what the rgb mod is and most people I've seen have a scart cable and a converter box that takes the scart on one side and outputs hdmi on the other end.

16. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    Ossc = Open Source Scan Converter
    It's a much cheaper framemeister alternative.