Leach

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I stumbled upon a very sweet deal the other day. N64 + PSone for 10 bucks. Controllers, cables, even an expansion pak in the 64.
When I got home however, and plugged the Nintendo in, there was no picture nor sound on the TV. I cleaned everything (a lot of dirt came out), removed the expansion, tried a different AV cable, which works perfectly fine with my other N64. I even disassembled the whole thing to clean it but had no luck. When I power the console on, the red light turns on, so it's not dead but there is no picture nor sound.
Of course I searched around and everyone suggests cleaning the unit. Doesn't work with me though.

MSaki

Trophies
Website
nintendo3ds-place.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
blow air in the expansion slot to get the dust and dirt out and do the same with the game slot also check the game. if the system still will not boot check the cords see if any are cut.

finally if all hope is lost open up and clean it out also check the slots and see where the pinouts are if any are broken or rusted.

the main things that could cause the problem mentioned is messed up av cord, exp pack not inserted or dirty same with game. also this is going to sound dumb but do you have a game inserted because the n64 doesn't have any kind of boot sequence when nothing inserted black screen when inserted it plays.

Hope it will be working soon MSaki

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
If you cleaned it all out, it's gotta be a hardware issue (that can't really be determined by the info given) OR a contact issue with the game or cord port?
unsure.gif

I am not so good at "stab in the dark" fixes, I usually only take on repairs when I know what is wrong lol.

Leach

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have two N64s (PAL and NTSC), so I tested this system with cables and games that are working. Also the expansion and cables that came with this console work fine. I cleaned everything, the pinouts are ok and I even disassembled the whole thing to clean it throughly. The red LED lights up and that's it.
I searched around and many people seem to be having the same problem after they left their consoles unused for a very long period of time. But what might be causing it? N64s are pretty tough...

EDIT:
Nevermind, guys. I fiddled with it a little more and it worked like a charm. I didn't do anything in particular, just reinserted the game and expansion pak a few times and it started. Thread can be locked.
smile.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I got one 3 months ago (the 11 year old one I had before, got badly damaged when trying to overclock it). And somehow it showed the same symptoms, but once I cleaned the ports better (using a toothbrush) it worked all fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1