Question N64 emulator for switch (retroarch)

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by FerdinandoPH, Jun 23, 2019.

1. FerdinandoPH
    OP

FerdinandoPH Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2017
    Spain
    Hi!
    I´m looking for an N64 emulator for my modded switch. I have downloaded RetroArch+ the n64 core (MUpen64plus). However, when I try to use a game (super mario 64), I get an error and I have to reboot the console. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or does anyone know where can I find another n64 emulator for my switch?

2. notimp
    This message by notimp has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jun 23, 2019
  3. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 23, 2019
  4. notimp
    This message by notimp has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jun 24, 2019
  5. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 24, 2019
  6. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 24, 2019
  7. FerdinandoPH
    OP

FerdinandoPH Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2017
    Spain
    Jeez, I´m sorry, I just wanted a helping hand, I didn´t want to make anyone offended :(. I just wanted to know if someone had the kindness to explain me how to play n64 games on my switch, I didn´t expect to make anyone feel like a support assistant. I will be more careful from now on.

P.D The emulator works fine now, thank you very much

8. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Please dont be sorry! You did absolutely nothing wrong! Some members on this forum just lack simple etiquette and dont understand proper kindness and proper social queues. This is all on that other guy. Hes in the wrong. You are 100% fine my friend(: I'm very happy things work for you now!

FoxMcloud5655 likes this.
  9. ElConsolero
    This message by ElConsolero has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jun 24, 2019
  10. Josshy0125
    Jun 24, 2019
  11. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    OP make sure you're using Mupen64Plus-Next, and hold R on a switch game and start it and it will take you to the homebrew menu (don't just go to album) from there launch Retroarch. You may also need to overclock in Retroarch which is in the main menu.

Edit: I missed where OP said it's working fine now.

TeddyBearYoshi likes this.
  12. cyndor
    This message by cyndor has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 24, 2019
  13. Josshy0125
    Jun 24, 2019
  14. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Glad that you got it works fine now. Dont be scared or nervous. You did nothing wrong. That's what we are here for.. Help each others out. If you are experienced like that then they are the cowardly. That's all. Cheers!

-snip-

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019 - Reason: Removed deleted post quote
  15. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    That's what I'm saying! Why the blatant rudeness, unprovoked? I'm increasingly shocked that the idiot above was defending him, and trying to throw it back to me. They're so childish...

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019 - Reason: Removed deleted post quote
    xenocard, Basketto and azoreseuropa like this.
  16. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    LOL! Think alike! Some people here I have seen for many years are like that. They don't deserve to be part of gbatemp. We are all family no matter what.. Helping one others, period! I never understand him like those people. Jeez!

Jayammi and Josshy0125 like this.
  17. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I agree! I love the support from the kind people though. That kind of kindness makes me smile, and everyone deserves that kindness. Nobody deserves idiotic responses that the two above have tried to tell. They're so immature and have some sincere growing up to do. Such assholes.

But getting back on topic, I'm really really happy that OP got things figured out! Good on you, OP! If you need any more help, let us know. Don't you worry, we'll drown out the rude idiots. ;)

azoreseuropa likes this.
  18. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Count me in even if the question was already answered before. We will STILL help anybody out no matter what! Yes, let's drown out the rude idiots and keep gbatemp clean out the rudeness away! :D ;):grog:

Basketto and Josshy0125 like this.
  19. notimp
    Jun 24, 2019
  20. Josshy0125
    This message by Josshy0125 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply.
    Jun 24, 2019
  21. DodgyJudge
    This message by DodgyJudge has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 24, 2019
  22. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

pip Developer
    May 25, 2018
    Germany
    You all need to go and play some sweet sweet N64

JustANoob;), thatrunks, Vorde and 7 others like this.
  23. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Playing that sweet sweet Superman 64

24. azoreseuropa
    This message by azoreseuropa has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 25, 2019
  25. Idontknowwhattoputhere
    This message by Idontknowwhattoputhere has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 25, 2019
  26. azoreseuropa
    This message by azoreseuropa has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 25, 2019
  27. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jun 26, 2019
  28. cyndor
    This message by cyndor has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jun 26, 2019
  29. eyeliner
    This message by eyeliner has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 26, 2019
  30. ElConsolero
    This message by ElConsolero has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 26, 2019
  31. azoreseuropa
    This message by azoreseuropa has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 26, 2019
  32. xenocard
    This message by xenocard has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 29, 2019
  33. notimp
    This message by notimp has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 29, 2019
  34. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 29, 2019
  35. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Also wanting to know how it is going with N64 Emulation. The Mupen Cores in RetroArch keep crashing my System

36. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

pip Developer
    May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Smoker1 likes this.
  37. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Well damn! That worked perfectly. Not sure why. few other Cores run perfectly.

Run Homebrew Menu (Album Method).
    Load Core (Mupen or Mupen Next)
    Load Content.
    Seems when you Select the N64 Rom Directory, Crash.

Or, if you just Select the Rom 1st, then Select the Core, you get sent back to the Homebrew Menu.

Can run FBA, or MAME 2003 no problem. Same with VirtualBoy, and PSX. Have not tried others yet. But any Issues, I now have another Method of Loading it :D

38. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Would you really have me answer this for you for the probably 20th time, and the 500th time in this forum overall?

DONT LAUNCH HBL VIA ALBUM.

Album only gives HBL limited memory access. Launch any installed GAME (as in GAME, not in something else, installed as in NOT in the gamecard slot) with R held down, and you will launch HBL with full ram access. Limited Ram = crashes on more demanding RA cores.

If you already installed inofficiall .nsps and dont mind the ban risk (if not using emuMMC to seperate environments) - you can also install this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/

It also gives HBL full ram access.

Again - installing .nsps that you dont get from the Nintendo eShop can lead to a ban from Nintendos online services. Thats why the hold R while launching an installed Games method was implemented.

We are forced to reapeat this twice every week, because someone who cant read will show up and demand detailed support, and then follow that up with thanks and by. Next time try reading some turorials - or even this thread first.

Forums are not a personal support ticket system for anyone that likes to use em that way.

Smoker1 likes this.
  39. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Really dude. Just be kind. Why do you have to be an absolute crotch with every post you post? You're really immature. Just help the guy without being a dick. Jesus. It's not that difficult...

Smoker1 likes this.
  40. AceX

AceX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    In my opinion, it's good to have the same information a few times over; say if I google something, or search this forum, is it not better that there's the same information with different titles, assuring I'll find what I'm looking for?

Besides, every time I see you go on a rant like this, a moderator has to read the rants for probably the 20th time and it just leaves behind a mess with all the deleted posts.

Smoker1, Josshy0125 and EmulateLife like this.
  41. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Is there a Compatibility/Settings Listing for RetroArch Cores on the Switch? Specifically, what Settings each N64 Game should have for best Results?

42. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I don't know of one.

Smoker1 likes this.
  43. thatrunks

thatrunks Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2013
    Netherlands
    I am glad to be part of Gbatemp for some time now.
    Although I do not post that often I carefully read every post and I use the search.

I was aware of the NSP forwarder to the HBL.
    Using it that way the full RAM will be used.
    As you correctly state this may cause a ban.

So I also read about the title+R HBL full RAM launch (yeah I am just gonna call it that)

But I was a bit confused. How can you start HBL through a game? Yes it is a 'easy' to hold R and see HBL loading up. Especially with the latest Atmosphere (Kosmos) because you can use this trick on every installed game.

So yes I can understand that for some people it makes no sense starting it this way and they get confused and create a thread here to ask for help.

I do not see your problem. Why did you become part of this forum then? Not to help anyone out?
    Yes its common to answer the same question many times.
    But if you do not feel like to then don't.

There are many many people here that will do.
    Even the developers and they also have repeated themselves over and over.
    In return they get a lot of credit (and hopefully a beer).

Just let this negativity go. Not worth it.
    Stay positive ;-).

Also I am using this trick with an Catridge Game (so not a installed game) and that is also working just fine :-).

Last edited by thatrunks, Sep 7, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted