Hacking N5DS and SDHC card...

Drizzly Rain

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I have an N5, and a Kingmax 4gb microSDHC card. It works fine apart from initial loading...

For example Pokemon Soulsilver, it takes 10 seconds on a kingston 1gb microsd, and on this new SDHC 30 seconds.
On the other hand Utacchi loads in just a few seconds on both the SD and SDHC.

Oh, and the games with a slow loading speed actually have two "loading" progress bars, the first one finishes quickly on both, and the second progresses much more slowly on the SDHC. And the games which load quickly are usually the japanese ones...

Any ideas what causes it, or how can I fix it? At least, is it a card problem or a rom problem?
Or not really a problem, and I should be grateful that everything works...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most people mean "does not support" as in it doesn't load the flashcart menu, and it freezes at the loading screen.

I have no idea how you got your SDHC card working on your N5 though (does it say SDHC anywhere on the box?)

Drizzly Rain

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope nothing SDHCish on the box, but some sites do mention SDHC support online, that's why I tried it with a friends 4gb Kingston at first, checked just one game (Utacchi) which loaded normally. Than bought my own card, noticed the slow loading speed, checked on that Kingston... was slow as well.

Oh, and got the N5 around september 08, so I guess it is pretty old by now.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using a Class-2 SDHC?

If you don't know what I'm referring to, look for these on the microSDHC card:
speed_classes.png

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On your Kingston 1GB, by any chance does it say 'JAPAN' on it? Because if it does, that's why it's so quick.
Also, try using the SD Assosiation SD formatter (aka the Panasonic formatter) on your SDHC. It might give you a boost of speed.

Drizzly Rain

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@YayMii
Yep, Japan. So it's not that the SDHC is slow, it's the Kingston that is quick? X_x
Can anyone with the N5 perhaps tell me their loading time to compare?
And I'll try that formatter...

@naved.islam14
But I want a bigger card... and it's hard to find 4gb SD without HC.

xDarkAngelx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old N5 from around May 08, Class 4 4GB Chinese Sandisk SDHC card loads stuff in around 20 seconds.. o.o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative