XP
Country
United Kingdom

Captain Charisma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No it's on eBay atm how can I tell if it's IPS as I'm a little unsure if it's TN or IPS?

If you put the 3DS's sided by side on same brightness, and the screen looks more yellow, its most likely a TN screen.
For touch screen, I've noticed the Miiverse icon is blurry on a TN screen.

IMG_2562.JPGIMG_2571.JPGIMG_2612.JPGIMG_2615.JPG Note how the legs are blurry on a TN screen.

Captain Charisma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think there's such a thing as a new3DS XL with the bottom screen being IPS.

The only Nintendo handheld that had a bottom screen with an IPS screen was the DSiXL
I've got a N3dsxl that is IPS on both on 9.4. But it has an annoying one dead pixel on the top screen. Not sure if I should send it back and hope for the best on getting IPS on both screens.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a N3dsxl that is IPS on both on 9.4. But it has an annoying one dead pixel on the top screen. Not sure if I should send it back and hope for the best on getting IPS on both screens.

Wow, I never heard of a new3DS XL with a bottom IPS screen. You should take pics and share; that thread here and on NeoGaf would probably go nuts. You must have found some sort of holy grail type of thing.

Maybe just swap screens and create an ultimate system? Don't swap and return to the store though; I believe that is fraud (and would be messed up to do to the person who gets it) but at least you aren't completely out of options!

Captain Charisma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, I never heard of a new3DS XL with a bottom IPS screen. You should take pics and share; that thread here and on NeoGaf would probably go nuts. You must have found some sort of holy grail type of thing.

Maybe just swap screens and create an ultimate system? Don't swap and return to the store though; I believe that is fraud (and would be messed up to do to the person who gets it) but at least you aren't completely out of options!
The pic above with the blue background, both the screens top and bottom they're is a slight colour difference and the blur on miiver icon.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The color tinting has nothing to do with TN vs IPS, it's an improperly calibrated backlight :( And the IPS panels suffer more from it than the TNs, based on my experience

The best way to tell the difference between TN and IPS is to look at it from an angle. IPS will just wash out slightly, but TN will change color. I've never seen a single IPS in the bottom screen so this is how I know you're surely mistaken

Captain Charisma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The color tinting has nothing to do with TN vs IPS, it's an improperly calibrated backlight :( And the IPS panels suffer more from it than the TNs, based on my experience

The best way to tell the difference between TN and IPS is to look at it from an angle. IPS will just wash out slightly, but TN will change color. I've never seen a single IPS in the bottom screen so this is how I know you're surely mistaken

You may be right. I think it is IPS after testing. But my IPS N3DSXL and my O3DSXL don't have the yellow tint. I thought most yellow tinted screen are most likely to be TN. Regardless, my New and Old 3DSXL didn't have the blur effect on the touch screen compared to my yellow tinted N3DSXL on the op and bottom screens as seen in the pics I posted. To be honest I've gone through 7 N3DSXLs and I think its normal. Have a look at your 3DSs and see if your small Miiverse icon, and if the legs are blurred? I'm curious to see the results.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really the wrong thread but here:
sSiAVLx.jpg

XPvKgio.jpg

j9fPTHw.jpg

I don't know why your bottom panel might be blurry but it's not because it's TN. Maybe just a bad panel. The color temperature on my panels is just a tad warmer than I'm used to but I wouldn't call them yellow, and they match. Finally, best way to tell TN vs IPS is at an angle because that's one of the biggest differences. Colors become oversaturated and small details are lost (battery indicator goes from blue to teal, majora's mask doesn't have pupils, etc). Same thing is happening on the bottom screen though I had a hard time getting both of them at a good angle. Shitty phone.

I've been through 30+ N3DS looking for one that didn't have any various amount of problems in what I feel is a terrible build quality, one of Nintendo's worst ever. IPS by far had the most color temperature issues, and all of them had bottom TN screens. More importantly IPS has the multiplexing issue which isn't worth the tradeoff to me, which is why I decided on a TN.

Mashioks

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi everyone!
it came time for me to move on to New3ds xl, and then I decided to turn to a few stores in town to see if I can find a new 3ds xl with version number right. I managed to find a store with a new 3ds xl code QEH1012, so I was certain that I had found a 3ds xl with system 9.2 or lower. But I got a curiosity on the console that I should buy. In the list of the first page is reported that the console with code QEH1012 is BLUE, but the console that I've found is BLACK. This could change the possibility that the console has system 9.2 or lower?
if it helps, I'm in Europe, specifically in Italy.
Thanks to all in advance!

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Colors also depend if you have "eco mode" on or off for the backlight? The screen colors change when I enable or disable it.

Found a Non-XL YEM1007 (White) online for my brother, will see if it's okay when I'll have it. If not, I'll just resell it at a less lower price and try another one xD

Because, in USA, there is only the N3DS XL but here (Europe), we have both models (like Japan) so it's a bit more complicated for the serial numbers.

Can confirm YEM1007 (N3DS White, non-XL), is 9.0.0-20. Will do the picture later.

fvdsa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, so in terms of New 3DS XL firmwares, I noticed that the serial number database has, for example: 9.1.0-20J: QJF048 (Blue)... does this mean every Japanese New 3DS w/ serial# QJF048 will be blue, or are there white/black N3DS's with QJF048 that may not have <9.2 firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...