Hardware N3DS Only powers on when plugged in.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done some research on this and found only 1 dead thread.

Anyhow, bought the console off a lady with broken screen. Says her son had dropped it and ever since it would only power on when plugged in and of course top screen was shot.

I replaced the screen, found out it's on version 9.0.0.2U ( Great, don't have to downgrade )

I've checked all solder joints on the power port. Plug looks fine. Charging LED is lit up.

I've swapped batteries ( from a known working system. )

Any input or anything I should look at. I've read this is how demo units act, how would I tell if it's a demo unit? I haven't found anything imprinted on the motherboard, and it looks identical to another one.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible the battery and the contacts on the 3DS aren't touching. Have you tried confirming that? Any corrosion anywhere?

Yes, I've checked that. Looks fine. Console won't power on at all if the battery isn't even inserted. So I know it detects it. Anyone have a multimeter that can remove battery, plug it in and get the readings for me so I can confirm on my end? I don't have another N3DS to test that myself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only difference I just found is here. But I doubt that is the cause.

Swapping board had no effect.

ubtc2.jpg

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found some more differences on motherboard, but it shouldn't affect it any. Charging ports do look odd.

Also, if I remove the battery and remove the power cable. The time and date reset.

348qe7l.jpg

a4lzf8.jpg

6yk6k0.jpg

Last edited by vb_encryption_vb,

mitroux

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
well i don't think it's hardware related(remeber the ps3 koisk units?)
if it(s working , i guess you should get xorpads and try to swap files with a normal n3ds and rebuild your nand and flash it back (you must hardmod it of course)

in the ps3 units ,; it was the xmb that was different between a retail and a demo/kiosk unit;;;maybe 3ds too just need to change the xmb(i know that home menu checks region , baybe power too)

Last edited by mitroux,

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i don't think it's hardware related(remeber the ps3 koisk units?)
if it(s working , i guess you should get xorpads and try to swap files with a normal n3ds and rebuild your nand and flash it back (you must hardmod it of course)
Im not sure what i would replace though. Hardmod i can do with no issues there.

The ps3 kiosk, was all software based and could be rewritten as well to work, retail.

mitroux

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
of course not the update system files , but maybe the unique files that boot the 3ds
you could take a look a 3dbrew or ask one of the dev about the file that power on the 3ds

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Tim51688

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
version 9.0.0.2U

No appears to be a fresh format as well.

I'm in the process of dumping the NAND, than figure out how to decrypt it. Compare titles, etc.

Did you ever find anything out? I got a o3dsxl board on ebay and I'm having the same issues. I didn't spend much on it because it said it had power issues but I don't wanna spend the time hardmodding if it's not gonna be like a normal 3ds.

Karas288

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to resurrect a old post but I too have what I believe to be a demo/kiosk unit my motherboard looks exactly like yours with the two 0 ohm resistors next to a ic and the black inductor near the power connector I'd just like to ask though when you said "swapping the boards had no effect" what do you mean? Did you swap the motherboard with a retail one and it still wont boot without external power? And if so did you try also swapping the daughter board I'm thinking if just swapping the motherboard didn't work then maybe its a hardware mod on both boards.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to resurrect a old post but I too have what I believe to be a demo/kiosk unit my motherboard looks exactly like yours with the two 0 ohm resistors next to a ic and the black inductor near the power connector I'd just like to ask though when you said "swapping the boards had no effect" what do you mean? Did you swap the motherboard with a retail one and it still wont boot without external power? And if so did you try also swapping the daughter board I'm thinking if just swapping the motherboard didn't work then maybe its a hardware mod on both boards.

I swapped the daughterboard, still had same issue, I even changed out the power plug. Dumped NAND and looked at every single file, there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Just did a quick google search, someone found the solution they claim.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/8aa54a/new_3ds_xl_demokiosk_unit_battery_fix/

I just went and dug up my board along with some others to compare, it's accurate, from the looks of my other boards. Putting the resistor back will be hell, it's small as hell.

Last edited by vb_encryption_vb,

Karas288

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for that link I was going to start looking into the inductor beside the power connector and yeah I've just taken a look at mine and that resistor is absolutely tiny definitely need a reflow station to move it I just tried with a battery powered 12w iron and I cant do anything to it I'm going to take mine to see a local electronic repair shop to see if the guy there can sort it for me failing that I will have to purchase a reflow station and try it myself I've never used one so kinda nervous about that option. Once again thank you vb_encryption_vb I will keep you posted if it works for me or not ps I have managed to get mine to run cfw even though the home button doesnt work lol

Karas288

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It works (home button still don't but) it powers on without external power yay I made a bit of a mess of things but I did manage to get it to work I removed the resistor as mentioned in the link and then used a pencil very carefully to link the pins where the resistor is meant to go next to the other two (while not a great conductor graphic from a pencil does conduct electricity) I don't know if there's going to be any repercussions in the future due to not using the correct resistor but for now at least it works as I want it to thank you so very much for posting the link to that post

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1