Hacking N3DS Gateway - missing a banner

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to put this here in case anyone knows what's going on. Basically, I was in the process of moving to my New 3DS, and I installed all the games I converted to CIAs from my own personal library. These games were installed on my Old 3DS, and worked just fine there. There are just two games in particular that are giving me issues:

M&L - Dream Team (USA): Works, can boot it up and play, but the banner is missing.
Pokemon Rumble Blast: Doesn't work, banner is there but starting it will make the N3DS tell me an error has occurred and will then restart.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm on a PAL region emuNAND now but that shouldn't mean anything. I'm more confused as to why the banner is missing on the exact same CIA I made months ago.

Any insight?

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also a n3ds gateway user on 8.1j and yes there are some issues. Some games don't work as CIA only .3ds try using .3ds version then report back I'm sure it will work

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.... How strange. My 3DS dump of Pokemon Rumble Blast doesn't crash in cartridge mode (.3DS), but M&L is still missing the banner! I just tested M&L on a normal 3DS - same exact file, .3DS/cartridge mode - and the banner is there. Really weird behavior here. I'm curious as to why these two games are acting so strangely and why being on a N3DS even makes a difference. I'm on emuNAND 9.4 on my N3DS, and I think some of the issues with 8.1 were resolved by updating.

But still, that missing banner has me really wondering.

mmn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's just something wrong with that banner when converted to CIA, for M+L. It's the only game I have that has that issue, too. Though, for me, it does it on old3ds too.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yep and some of the games will display with Japanese language as well whereas the ROM version works regardless of system language.

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's just something wrong with that banner when converted to CIA, for M+L. It's the only game I have that has that issue, too. Though, for me, it does it on old3ds too.
You should try testing the game in cartridge mode too. While the banner may be fragile, it loads for me on an Old 3DS and not a New 3DS. As in, I took the .3ds game, put it on my Gateway card, put that in my Old 3DS, pressed select, selected the game, and the banner is present - Old 3DS. Did the same exact thing on my New 3DS - and this is on the flashcard, so no CIAs to install, same exact .3ds file, and the banner is gone. If you have a New 3DS, try this and see if it happens to you.

As far as Rumble Blast goes, I have no clue. I don't think I have a bad CIA, as my own copy doesn't work nor does an online copy. I guess it's just one of those Gateway glitches (if they accepted bug reports here and/or didn't ignore my emails when I explicitly have "BUG REPORT" in the Subject, maybe I'd feel better about informing them about things like this :) ).

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob question and feel free to laugh at me but I don't know what a banner refers to. Is it what shows on the top screen when a game is selected?

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total noob question and feel free to laugh at me but I don't know what a banner refers to. Is it what shows on the top screen when a game is selected?
Correct. So that little animation or logo on the top screen when you highlight the game. The icon on the bottom screen shows up, and the sound effect that plays with the banner does play, but no banner for this game on N3DS so far. I haven't tested it with a real game in Classic mode, but given the circumstances I'd say GW breaks the banner regardless of game format. Maybe not in sysNAND classic mode though; not sure, we'll see later today I suppose.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. So that little animation or logo on the top screen when you highlight the game. The icon on the bottom screen shows up, and the sound effect that plays with the banner does play, but no banner for this game on N3DS so far. I haven't tested it with a real game in Classic mode, but given the circumstances I'd say GW breaks the banner regardless of game format. Maybe not in sysNAND classic mode though; not sure, we'll see later today I suppose.
I understand how these kinds of things can irritate those of us who like things working perfectly. Lol. Resist this, it is not worth the time or mental anguish. :)

Reactions: ubergeek77

ubergeek77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand how these kinds of things can irritate those of us who like things working perfectly. Lol. Resist this, it is not worth the time or mental anguish. :)
If you think this is bad, imagine how I feel having to play StreetPass Quest, StreetPass Force, and the all-time favorite for everyone, StreetPass Mansion.

With titles like that, you'll wonder why Nintendo never brought them stateside.

*cringe*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/