n3DS gateway 3.2.1 DS profile launch - help

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jerrokun, May 5, 2015.

1. jerrokun
    OP

jerrokun Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    I got my hands on a n3DS today, firmware 9.0E. I setup OoT, backed up my NAND and formatted EmuNAND. I then followed the instructions from the Gateway site.

At step 8 of the instructions:

When I load the DS Profile, nothing happens.

I thought it might have had something to do with the NANDs being linked, so I did a system format in emuNAND. This didn't fix anything - instead I got a black screen when booting to emuNAND. I re-formated emuNAND and that's working, but I still don't have the DS profile exploit working.

While going through the system settings to launch the system format, I did notice that the settings were different to those from sysNAND. It looks like the exploit was installed on emuNAND, but not sysNAND.

What do I do the properly install the exploit? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    You should check on your Step 6. You need to boot to Gateway SYSNAND
    To do this you need to hold the 'B' button at the 'Boot to Gateway Mode' icon in gateway menu. It will change the description to boot to GW Sysnand. Confirm by pressing A and then confirm again by pressing X

then follow step 7 and 8

3. kaiomar

kaiomar Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2015
    France
    simply hold B while booting into Gateway mode or Classic mode!
    You will then be asked to confirm booting into SYSNAND mode by pressing X.

4. jerrokun
    OP

jerrokun Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States

No wonder - the instructions said to boot to Gateway Mode, which I assumed meant to just boot into it as usual.

That means I boot to Gateway SYSNAND, install the mset_region cia to the sysnand, and I'm done?

Should I delink my emuNAND and sysNAND before or after doing this? When I formatted the emunand, which had the downgraded system settings, I got a black screen, which is a bit worrying.

5. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
  6. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan
    so we still need zelda and cubic ninja for 3.2.1 to boot in gateway menu

7. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

Nope, you need only 1 of them.

8. jerrokun
    OP

jerrokun Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States

I'm surprised that it worked for you.

I reformated my emuNAND and then did a system format to delink it. Same result as last time - a black screen.

I'm worried that running the NVRAM INSTALL has done something that leads to the black screen when a system format is performed. It's fine getting the black screen on emuNAND, since I can just reformat that, but if I format sysNAND and it black screens upon booting, then it's bricked.

I'd be willing to redo step 6 properly to install the old system settings to sysNAND, but I'm worried that I won't be able to delink the two NANDs without bricking my system. Is there any explanation for why my emuNAND gets a black screen when I format it? I didn't get anything like this on my o3DS.

9. pdensco

pdensco Banned

Banned
    Nov 9, 2014
    Pakistan

now i have to bought a cubic ninja for my new 3ds xl hmmm this is bullshit:hateit:

10. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    You still need an entrypoint to install the exploitable settings.

11. jerrokun
    OP

jerrokun Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    Anyone? I'm not sure what I should do from here. I really don't want to brick my shiny new system. ;-;

12. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Just try re-installing the mset cia again. If that doesn't work, then restore your sysNAND, system format, backup your formatted sysNAND, install mset and try again. Black Screens are common when booting any of the exploit methods, but trying several times will eventually get it. Through formatting you may get lucky and it will boot 80% of the time for you.

13. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

What this guy said, Press X, enter sysNAND GW Mode > use devmenu to install mset_cia (your region of course) > reboot, try the exploit.

14. jerrokun
    OP

jerrokun Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States

Alright, since last I posted:

- I tried booting into the formatted emuNAND again, and this time instead of a black screen it loaded up the "new Nintendo 3ds" setup for when you first start the console. I black screened again after the initial setup, but I booted back into it and I now have my two NANDs unlinked. Huzzah!
    - I booted into sysNAND GW Mode and installed the mset cia
    - I reset and booted into system settings. The old version is successfully installed, it only has 4 icons instead of 5 in the other settings menu
    - Picking "DS profile" does nothing

I'm this close! I just don't want to brick my system.

What do I do now? Is it safe to run the NVRAM install again to see if that's the problem?

15. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    Just run the NVRAM. Ive done and played with it dozen of time before with the downgraded setting (just to test on DS profile exploit sticking issue). dosent give me any problem.

16. sangweb

sangweb Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2008
    United States
    OK, I don't get it, when I go to system settings --> Other Settings --> Profile --> Nintendo DS Profile, it just doesn't do anything, am I expecting it to prompt if I want to run gateway when I clicked on Nintendo DS profile? I've followed the steps and installed everything seems to be fine.

17. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Now that you have mset installed, the exploitable bug is present again. In order to trigger that bug to do what we want (booting the launcher), you'll need to install the NVRAM Profile. This can be done either by using the blue card (if you installed bluecardfix.cia to sysNand while you were installing mset.cia), or by using the "INSTALL NVRAM" option in the Gateway launcher. Once both mset.cia and the NVRAM Profile are installed, selecting "Nintendo DS Profile" should cause it to reboot into the launcher/emuNand with no prompt. It seems likely that the system format cleared the NVRAM Profile, and that's why the exploit isn't working yet.

The most common cause of this is that mset.cia was not installed to sysNand, but to emuNand. The instructions posted on the website fail to make clear the distinction, unfortunately. To boot sysNand in Gateway Mode (to allow installing CIAs), while in the Launcher menu (as of version 3.2.1), highlight "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" and hold B. The text will change to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE". While holding B, press A. It will ask to confirm that you want to boot sysNand, press X to confirm. Now you can use DevMenu.3ds to install the CIAs to sysNand, allowing for both the exploit and the use of the blue card to reinstall the NVRAM profile as needed.

18. polki

polki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    That. It sounds like you aren't installing the mset CIA when you get to gateway sysnand mode. I the gateway menu do the NVRAM install then when you go to gateway sysnand mode(hold B and press A, then press X) then press select to load the rom menu and choose Dev menu, install your mset_xxx.cia and you should be good to go.