Hacking Unlinking SYSNAND with EMUNAND

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have installed bigbluemenu.cia to my emunand. Everytime I load up emunand I will need to unrap the present box. I read that this is due to sysnand linking with emunand and the way to fix this is to unlink emunand and sysnand. Is this true? Are there any other fix?

If unlinking emunand is the only way. The tutorial I found was as follow.
1) Backup emunand
2) Format sysnand
3) Format emunand
4) Restore emunand

Im currently on sysnand 9.0.0-20E with downgraded system setting (4.5). Is formatting sysnand using the downgraded setting safe?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cause of the issue is that both sysNand and emuNand are seeing themselves as the "same" system, and using the same folder on your system SD card. Unlinking the two will solve the issue, and I do not know of any other way to solve it. That being said, it isn't necessary to format both of them. Formatting one will cause it to generate a new ID, and thus see itself as a "different" system, and the two will no longer be linked.

I'm assuming you've done this recently, and so your sysNand won't have anything that your emuNand doesn't also have. If that's the case, I'd recommend just doing a format on sysNand. That's what I did, and I've had zero problems. But then, I also don't bother to use my sysNand for anything other than getting to emuNand. I had my 3DS for a little over a year before I got my Gateway, so I didn't really want to start over with a formatted emuNand.

When you say "with downgraded system setting (4.5)", do you mean a New 3DS with the mset.cia file installed? I don't expect that it would be an issue, but I don't actually know enough about the differences to be able to say for sure. I would hold off on formatting using this until someone with more knowledge can verify it to be safe. If that doesn't happen, another possibility would be to reinstall the normal System Settings, do the format, and then re-install the mset.cia file once that's done.

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The cause of the issue is that both sysNand and emuNand are seeing themselves as the "same" system, and using the same folder on your system SD card. Unlinking the two will solve the issue, and I do not know of any other way to solve it. That being said, it isn't necessary to format both of them. Formatting one will cause it to generate a new ID, and thus see itself as a "different" system, and the two will no longer be linked.

I'm assuming you've done this recently, and so your sysNand won't have anything that your emuNand doesn't also have. If that's the case, I'd recommend just doing a format on sysNand. That's what I did, and I've had zero problems. But then, I also don't bother to use my sysNand for anything other than getting to emuNand. I had my 3DS for a little over a year before I got my Gateway, so I didn't really want to start over with a formatted emuNand.

When you say "with downgraded system setting (4.5)", do you mean a New 3DS with the mset.cia file installed? I don't expect that it would be an issue, but I don't actually know enough about the differences to be able to say for sure. I would hold off on formatting using this until someone with more knowledge can verify it to be safe. If that doesn't happen, another possibility would be to reinstall the normal System Settings, do the format, and then re-install the mset.cia file once that's done.

Yup, its a brand new 3ds xl. I don't really have any save files worth saving so i dont really mind fresh formatting either my sysnand or emunand.

and yes I do mean a New 3DS with the mset.cia file installed. Was wondering if anybody done the sysnand format with mset.cia installed

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
just format, it will be safe.
not sure why you think it would be a problem. maybe because you format from system settings, adn you downgraded system settings, but yeah 99.99% no problem

Kawaii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
not sure why you think it would be a problem. maybe because you format from system settings, adn you downgraded system settings, but yeah 99.99% no problem
Thanks successful in unlinking emunand and sysnand. can confirm that format sysnand with downgraded mset.cia is safe.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That 0.01% was why I wasn't completely positive, for exactly that reason. I didn't know what had changed in the downgraded System Settings, and whether it would cause a problem with the format (not properly setting up things relied on by other, newer system apps, basically). Glad to hear it's safe and working, though.

D

Deleted User

Took out the microSD, formatted SysNAND from SysNAND, now it seems that the mset.cia changes are gone. Well this sucks

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took out the microSD, formatted SysNAND from SysNAND, now it seems that the mset.cia changes are gone. Well this sucks
mset changes are gone? So you have Super Stable 3D and Wi-Fi SD card management again in sysNand?

Formatting the system memory will remove the NVRAM Profile, but should not touch the versions of any system apps. So you should still have the downgraded mset as well as bluecardfix if you installed it. If you did install bluecardfix, then you should be able to use the Blue Card to reinstall the NVRAM Profile, at which point you should be able to use the mset exploit once again. If you didn't install bluecardfix, then you should still be able to use Cubic Ninja/Zelda to get to the launcher and install the NVRAM Profile from there.

D

Deleted User

mset changes are gone? So you have Super Stable 3D and Wi-Fi SD card management again in sysNand?

Formatting the system memory will remove the NVRAM Profile, but should not touch the versions of any system apps. So you should still have the downgraded mset as well as bluecardfix if you installed it. If you did install bluecardfix, then you should be able to use the Blue Card to reinstall the NVRAM Profile, at which point you should be able to use the mset exploit once again. If you didn't install bluecardfix, then you should still be able to use Cubic Ninja/Zelda to get to the launcher and install the NVRAM Profile from there.
Yeah, sorry, I was mistaken. The settings app stayed the same, but the NVRAM patch is gone now. Unfortunately, I didn't install the bluecardfix, and I've already bought the console with mostly everything ready (to avoid buying Sky3ds/CN/OoT). Now I'm seriously considering buying a Sky3DS cart

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, sorry, I was mistaken. The settings app stayed the same, but the NVRAM patch is gone now. Unfortunately, I didn't install the bluecardfix, and I've already bought the console with mostly everything ready (to avoid buying Sky3ds/CN/OoT). Now I'm seriously considering buying a Sky3DS cart
Definitely a spot of bad luck there. If you don't want to spend the money on a Sky3DS, there's a few options open to you. You could see if you can contact the person you bought it from, and if they can install BlueCardFix for you. You can also try the NVRAM Installation thread ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-free-nvram-installation-thread.388695/ ). You might also be able to find a used copy of Cubic Ninja, use it for the exploit, and return it (or keep it, your choice), or borrow a copy from someone else if you know of anyone with them. I hope you find a workable solution, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay