Hardware N3DS Bricked After Display Error.

chikoo_69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think somehow, my n3ds XL LCD just died...I was playing a game then suddenly the top lcd started acting wierd and i got a display error on the bottom scree. Saying please shutdown by pressing any key. The blue LED is on but nothing more appear. I have B9S installed and tried to hold start when powering up but nothing shows up.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think somehow, my n3ds XL LCD just died...I was playing a game then suddenly the top lcd started acting wierd and i got a display error on the bottom scree. Saying please shutdown by pressing any key. The blue LED is on but nothing more appear. I have B9S installed and tried to hold start when powering up but nothing shows up.

Can you boot into GodMode9? What about the 3DS Recovery Mode using A+R+L+Up(DPad)? Checking to make sure top LCD is dead for sure, or it's some other issue. This can happen due to flex cable breaking.

If you can access either both of those programs and the top screen is working, but it still boots up blank trying to get into HOME Menu, try removing and reinserting the battery.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

chikoo_69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Already Tried removing the battery and recovery mode...I am thinking about sending it for Repair. Are they going to repair it even if i have B9S and Luma installed :blush:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already Tried removing the battery and recovery mode...I am thinking about sending it for Repair. Are they going to repair it even if i have B9S and Luma installed :blush:

Most likely no. Nintendo will not do warranty work if they find out your 3DS has custom firmware. You're in a bit of a pickle in figuring out how to uninstall CFW. I believe it's doable in removing CFW if GodMode9 still works and you're able to see the bottom LCD. This is assuming your top LCD is definitely shot for sure.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

chikoo_69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is already out of warranty. But i think i can get a repair for 85$ (Can) The question is will they repair the unit or give a replacement?

Edit : Not even god mode9 boots...Something worst than the lcd happened i think :sad:

Last edited by chikoo_69,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is already out of warranty. But i think i can get a repair for 85$ (Can) The question is will they repair the unit or give a replacement?

It'll depend what Nintendo's diagnosis is for your 3DS. If your 3DS is reasonably salvageable, they'll probably replace the defective part in question (ie, top LCD, motherboard) or troubleshoot the issue if it's a software problem.

You should give them a call to make sure they'll take up repair work. I don't think they sent out a new replacement unit if your's is found to be FUBAR. They'd refund you, send back the 3DS, and probably tell you why they can't find your's as it is. This is to prevent those who would try to game Nintendo in getting working 3DS for relatively dirt cheap by trading in busted up/abused systems bought on the cheap on eBay, craiglist.

chikoo_69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just called them and they told me that the repair is 85$ and i need to send the unit. Maybe i could be lucky and they wont take the time to analyse the software and see that CFW was installed. Or second option i can buy a LCD and try to replace it myself. Worse case is that something else burned with the lcd and i would replace it for nothing. I really don't know what to do :/

Well my L button was failing, battery too. I think i will just buy a new 2ds xl they are quite cheap at 169$. Better buy a new one and sell this one on ebay for parts. What do you think?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just called them and they told me that the repair is 85$ and i need to send the unit. Maybe i could be lucky and they wont take the time to analyse the software and see that CFW was installed. Or second option i can buy a LCD and try to replace it myself. Worse case is that something else burned with the lcd and i would replace it for nothing. I really don't know what to do :/

Well my L button was failing, battery too. I think i will just buy a new 2ds xl they are quite cheap at 169$. Better buy a new one and sell this one on ebay for parts. What do you think?

Be careful with selling stuff on eBay. Seller protection is nonexistent if a buyer decides to open a case against you. You'll lose even if you clearly state your 3DS is sold as-is for parts. eBay these days are setup for wholesale sellers. Little guys selling off one time goods get burned all too often. You'll have better luck selling it locally if you find it's not worth the trouble sending it to Nintendo.

Are we talking about CAD $85, which is about US $66 in today's rate? Ask Nintendo if that cost will go into fixing your L button, replacing the battery, and top screen (if it's busted due to broken flex cable). If Nintendo got you covered on all these fronts, that's a decent bill considering buying those parts yourself and factoring in labor. I say you should try sending it in to Nintendo. The worst that can happen is you start back at square one if they decide to not fix it due to homebrew. Remember to remove your micro SD card.

In case you have no sentimental attachment to your N3DSXL and decide to sell it off, the N2DSXL might be a toss up as a replacement system.

If you like to
  • use the stereo 3D effect - (self explanatory)
  • play games without headphones - [speakers are not direct firing]
  • carry your system in your pocket - [top lcd does not have durable casing to protect from impact]
  • hold your console without a handgrip - [edges are kinda sharp]
the N2DSXL might not be for you.

chikoo_69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your help was really helpful in making a decision. Finally, i ordered a N2DSXL on amazon, it was on discount (15%)

- I was not using 3D that much, after a couple of minutes i was getting headaches.
- Audio is not a issue, as long a i can hear the sound even if it's not direct firing
- I carry my system in a handbag but i'll take note that the top lcd cannot take impacts
- What do you mean sharp edges? I'll probably be fine with that too.

Thanks a lot for all the information!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Audio is not a issue, as long a i can hear the sound even if it's not direct firing
Check out a N2DSXL in person. Those speakers are directly located at the bottom corners within palm area. You might find them too muffled as they point away from your ears. They're also said to sound very tin-like.

- I carry my system in a handbag but i'll take note that the top lcd cannot take impacts
The N2DSXL has to be carried in a hard case. That backside of the top screen is too thin. It's not just impact resistant you have to watch out for. The torsion resistant for that screen is abysmal.

- What do you mean sharp edges? I'll probably be fine with that too.
Unlike the other 2DS/3DS systems with rounded side edges, the N2DSXL are relatively sharp. This is fine if you intend to use one with a hand grip.

See highlighted red.

n2dsxl_sharp_edges.png
C-gMXfmXoAAxY4-.jpg

One last thing. I also guess that there is absolutly no was to restore save games on SDcard since i was not able to back them up or do a system transfer.
Correct. Only way to backup saves is if your specific N3DSXL is functional.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing