N3DS bottom plate with accessible micro SD?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by wiiNinja, Dec 6, 2015.

1. wiiNinja
    OP

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    Has anyone seen this type of bottom plate anywhere?

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I haven't, but... that sounds like a genius idea, actually.

3. wiiNinja
    OP

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    I figure that it's only a matter of time before these will flood the market. I'm fed up with having to unscrew those flimsy screws.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  4. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    i got spare plates lying at home, i might try to make this myself xD

5. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    just cut your buttom plate

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Could cut a hole in it and keep a piece of tape over it or something, or if you are especially crafy you could make your own microSD card door kinda like what the O3DS has.
    (tbh I don't know why Nintendo didn't just make it like that from the start.)

7. Graham182

Graham182 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2015
    Droichead Na Bandon, Cork, Ireland
    I just don't bother with the screws anymore, xl version, don't know how well that would work on the smaller model.

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    has anyone actually tried removing the screws from a standard New 3DS bottom plate? I'd definitely go for it if it worked well.

9. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    It's not hard. The screws are held on by c-clips on the back of the cover. Get pair of needle nose jewelers pliers and squeeze the clips off the screws. They'll pop right off. If you want to leave the screws in for aesthetics, you can remove the bottom of the 3DS, take apart the shoulder button assembly, and remove the square screw receivers. Those will remove what the screws use to hold them in place.

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    yeah, I figured it was pretty easy to remove them. I really want to since I have to take it off a lot (can't use microSD Management due to linux, FTP is crap)

what I actually meant to ask was: how good does it hold on? how secure are the battery and things? I don't want to remove the screws if it'll come off too easily.

11. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    It holds with a definite click. I'm sure it will hold to normal use and storage, but will come apart easily if dropped or jarred fairly hard.

ihaveamac likes this.
  12. wiiNinja
    OP

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    There are a couple of options at least: (1) Cut a hole in the cover plate where the SD can be accessed, then have an aesthetic way of covering that hole up, or (2) Get rid of the screws and find a better way to secure that plate.

I'm going to Home Depot to browse for ideas.

13. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    essentially you just need this and an external case mod. in the sense of a silicon cover etc since thats all they sell. the cable should be thin enough to be convered by the backplate with screws.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CY-1..._78_77_80,searchweb201644_0,searchweb201560_6

smallest length i can find is above, they can be cheaper on same site down to £7.

Smallest length is 10cm every other type of this is about 42cm in length minimum

Last edited by squee666, Dec 7, 2015
  14. GotKrypto67

GotKrypto67 That one PHP guy

Jul 21, 2015
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    The Chamber of Kim
    This is how my N3DS XL is. It works perfectly fine, and the back snaps securely without the screws. So glad I removed those inconvenient little bastards.