Hardware N2DS XL Volume Slider Repair

SolderJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I opened a New 2DS XL to examine the orange light of death (turned out that a moisture bake followed by a hot air reflow of the power ic fixed it).

When putting it back together though, the internal volume slider notch snapped right off (I must not have aligned it with the external slider properly).

I’m thinking that it’s the Alps Horizontal Dual Gang Slider Potentiometer RS08U11AZ001.

It looks identical and the specs seem in the right ballpark, though I’m not exactly sure how travel is measured and if length includes leads (too short) or just the slide part (about right).

Can anyone else confirm or deny?

SolderJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to confirm that it is made by ALPS (their name is on the back, as you can see below), but I can't find it through any of their distributors or even on their own website. I'm guessing it was manufactured exclusively for Nintendo.

Dimensions are 3mm (W) x 17mm (L) x 2mm (H)

It's 8.6k Ohm with Linear Taper (B), Single Gang Slider Potentiometer.

The back:

IMG_5064.JPG

And the front, marked:

IMG_5065 copy.JPG

The resistance between Pins 1 and 4 always measures around 8.6k ohms.

The measurements look something like this:

Code:
| Slider/Wiper Position | P2-P1 | P2-P4 | P1-P4 |
+-----------------------+-------+-------+-------+
|  right / top          |  8.6k |    30 |  8.6k |
|  middle               |  4.3k |  4.3k |  8.6k |
|  left / bottom        |   150 |  8.6k |  8.6k |

Last edited by SolderJS,

Fatt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, can you post a image or 2 of what the slider module looks like without the plate on top? mines all janked up atm, and I cant find a good enough resolution picture to make out anything (yours are great, but the ones you posted dont help me atm)

SolderJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even have the working one, but I've posted the inside of the broken one, sans slider notch.

However, I've drawn as accurate of a picture as I can of what the slider notch looks like.

What you have is a thin film over to resistive-conductive plates with some conductive(?) grease to help it move. There's yet another assembly between the plate and the contacts that we can't see or take apart, which is where they're connected.

The notch has two flexible tabs stemming from a common base. The flexible tabs are spring like, thus keeping contact at all times.
IMG_5208.JPG
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG
bottom view
IMG_5214.JPG

top view (with dotted to show underneath)
IMG_5215.JPG

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you could take a piece of solder wick and put some some non-conductive epoxy on the top of it (as to not short-out to ground through the metal plate) and have it glued to a small cut piece from a laptop keyboard's butterfly keyboard key, you could get a crude replacement that just might fit into the external volume slider (the thickness of the buttefly joint is about right).

mjones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made an account just to help add to this discussion. I have a 2dsxl board that I broke the plastic slide on the volume potentiometer as well trying to put it back together like SolderJS. I am newer to soldering and board work but was able to remove the broken slider, i did not think to take measurements of the removed component or search for a part number before throwing the broken slider away since I was just gonna grab a replacement off of a original 2ds, since from photos the volume slider looks the same. After coming across this thread I started researching buying the component directly rather than search ebay for cheap 2ds boards, plus the only seller on ebay selling the volume slider has it at $8.99 for 1.

I did order a few RS08U11AZ001 sliders from Mouser. It looked like the right model the only issue is the length is a little too short for that spot on the board. There is a part RS08U111Z001 that seems to be the same as the AZ001 but a little longer, it is 14.8mm in length which seems closer to the 17mm SolderJS measured, but I don't know if the 17mm Solder did included the pins or not, so the 1Z001 may be too short as well. I may order a few 1Z001 and report back, hopefully save people money and hassle

edit: I was doing more research on the RS08U111Z001. I was looking at it on mouser(.)com and the stock image showed a horizontal slide lever, but when I searched alps website directly this part number references a vertical slide. So it seems the 1Z001 I mentioned may not be the correct one. I can't imagine alps would have made a unique potentiometer for the 2dsxl, it has to be out there somewhere. I will keep researching

**UPDATE**
I got a response back from Alps and SolderJS's suspicions were correct this was a custom part made for Nintendo.

Response I got back from Alps sales:
"The slide switch on Nintendo 2dsxl was a customized switch that we do not sell to the public."

So I guess if these break the only option is to try and fix the original or scrap them off a 2dsxl board

Hope this helps guys

Last edited by mjones,

ojobenito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi. I had a broken slider, and I purchased another to replace it. When desoldering the old one, I made a mistake and pin 2 (wiper) of the slider took the copper under it. I get sound from the New 2DS but it's always at max volume. Do you know an alternative point where I can solder pin 2 to make the new slider work? Thanks a lot!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi. I had a broken slider, and I purchased another to replace it. When desoldering the old one, I made a mistake and pin 2 (wiper) of the slider took the copper under it. I get sound from the New 2DS but it's always at max volume. Do you know an alternative point where I can solder pin 2 to make the new slider work? Thanks a lot!
If the trace is visible you can try scraping away a bit of the solder mask on the trace next to the pad (fiberglass pen is good for this) and soldering to that using a small piece of wire. Or you could probably do it without the wire just by applying more solder.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ojobenito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If the trace is visible you can try scraping away a bit of the solder mask on the trace next to the pad (fiberglass pen is good for this) and soldering to that using a small piece of wire. Or you could probably do it without the wire just by applying more solder.
I can't see nothing under it. That's why I'm asking for an alternative point. If anyone has a broken motherboard and can trace an alternative point to that pin 2 (wiper), I'll be really thankful.
This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_171733.jpg
    IMG_20190720_171733.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 808
Last edited by ojobenito,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
**UPDATE**
I got a response back from Alps and SolderJS's suspicions were correct this was a custom part made for Nintendo.

Response I got back from Alps sales:
"The slide switch on Nintendo 2dsxl was a customized switch that we do not sell to the public."

So I guess if these break the only option is to try and fix the original or scrap them off a 2dsxl board

Hope this helps guys
You can extract the volume slider from other 3DS models that have speaker flex cables like this one:

Rebridge the broken contact with conductive silver paste.

vincentm638

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I did the same thing and was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question.

Phorcys_0

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To revive this thread...

Has anyone had any success in exchanging it from a slider to a pot? I feel like that would be a potentially (heh) more sturdy replacement?

I'm doing some other quality of life mods to a 2DS XL ( USB C / Wireless Charging /shell swap +looking into Bluetooth mod) and feel like this would be a better change in order to open and close the case more often without fear of breaking the volume slider. as I've broken 7 now (like if you cry every time)

Welshgamer101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just received a complete slider as a back-up just in case I hope to take apart the old and see if can be fixed first and maybe mod to be a better design ?? , but new one as back-up.. Hope to do this next weekend, I'll update soon as I get started on it.

joeygcpr

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So I did the same thing and was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question.
Hello guys, Im another victim of the volume slider damage when putting back/taking apart (rinse and repeat) while troubleshooting and repairing a nephews water damaged 2dsXL. I was lucky enough to find the little plastic piece that goes inside still holding on for dear life on the volume slider metal. I managed to desolder the volume switch slider button, completely take it apart and came across this thread to see how it worked. I was able to put the parts back together, resolder to the board, and hear the audio working again.

Just in case someone comes across this thread, there is a small copper circle underneath the board that corresponds to Wiper (pin 2) .There is continuity between the sliders pad and the copper circle. I attached a pic with a yellow arrow pointing to it for reference.
Post automatically merged:

Edit: I decided to break out the multimeter and found these points having continuity on my 2ds XL mobo when touching the volume slider pads.
Adding a extra pic in case someone needs it.

Credits to member Marmotta for the top 2dsXL pic.

Attachments

• Wiper 2_ Vol.Slider2dsXL_Test Point.png
    Wiper 2_ Vol.Slider2dsXL_Test Point.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • 2dsXL Continuity Points VolSlider.png
    2dsXL Continuity Points VolSlider.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
Last edited by joeygcpr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet