My Wii crashes when trying to read a Wii disk.

Ekardo_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Whenever I try to read a Wii game disk it will throw an error and ask me to eject the disk and shut down the console. This happens with every Wii disk. Gamecube disks, however, load perfectly. What could be the problem? I am open to any solution. Thank you in advance.

Details:

• A few months ago, the disk drive did grinder noises, now it does sometimes but they are a lot quieter.
  • I haven't ever open the wii.
  • Wii disks won't load.
  • Gamecube disks load flawlessly.
  • My wii is modded and i have an old NAND backup.
  • I don't have any gamecube controller yet but i'll probably be getting one soon.
  • My Wii is PAL.
  • I am open to teardown and further modding.

Ekardo_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But i have one question: why would gamecube disks load?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer, the drive must be replaced as you said.

Thanks for replying.

Last edited by Ekardo_,

Dive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus

Thanks for replying.
Hi, I might have the same problem. How did you find out that the problem was in the drive? My Wii throws same errors on some disks.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This can be caused by rubbish objects inside the drive. Optical pickup might be able to move normally to the outer diameter of a mini disc, but not a regular 12cm one.

If the error occurs randomly on some Wii discs and not on other there is a good chance the drive has reading problems.

The classic "never mind" without proper explanation. Granted: More than usual. But it doesn't explain why the drive must be replaced. What showed you this?

Ekardo_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, the optical reader's movement is stiff, so it might be a servo's fault. This could explain why gamecube disks are recognized, because they are smaller and the laser doesn't need to move as much. Besides that, my disk drive's noise matches the one made by people who had the same problem.

However I don't think I will be replacing the disk drive yet because for now i can stick to the game's backups in a usb stick.
Post automatically merged:

The classic "never mind" without proper explanation. Granted: More than usual. But it doesn't explain why the drive must be replaced. What showed you this?

Thanks for addressing my bad response. I will try to respond in better ways from now on. I understand how frustrating it can be for people searching for answers.

Last edited by Ekardo_,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hello, the optical reader's movement is stiff, so it might be a servo's fault. This could explain why gamecube disks are recognized, because they are smaller and the laser doesn't need to move as much. Besides that, my disk drive's noise matches the one made by people who had the same problem.

However I don't think I will be replacing the disk drive yet because for now i can stick to the game's backups in a usb stick.
Try lubricating the leadscrew that moves the laser mechanism.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Shgofc

Annoying but Useful Guy
Trophies
Website
please.hackmii.com
XP
Country
Brazil
answering: problably your wii disc drive was having troubles to move the laser to read further than a 1.4gb size but how gamecube discs never passes 1.4 of a dvd runs gamecube games but further than that the wii fails to read the disc and in some cases the wii crashes if a disc it cant read is inserted

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
answering: problably your wii disc drive was having troubles to move the laser to read further than a 1.4gb size but how gamecube discs never passes 1.4 of a dvd runs gamecube games but further than that the wii fails to read the disc and in some cases the wii crashes if a disc it cant read is inserted
There's an easy way to test that theory if the Wii can read burned discs... Just burn a GC multigame disc and see if it still works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i had 24 since before it went on game pass.
    +1
    I dont play because it's no fun to lose all the time. lol. Like I said, madden 22 and early I was pretty decent at. Not sure all what mechanics changed since 23 but I win like 1 of every 10 games. Then when I do win, they try to pause glitch me or leave with a few seconds left in the 4th. lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I hate players like that, sore losers. You could always just start a season against computer, but I know not as fun.
    if im getting completely stomped at halftime, like 28-0, ill just concede and let them have the win. No fun to keep playing the 2nd half. Haha. And not fair to not just give them the win.
    +1
    But when other people quit without conceeding, I often enough get a loss for it even though I was winning.
    Year after year after year they dont fix that. Or the pause glitch people keep doing, or trying to do.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I read online people have changed they're timezone on Xbox system to play games few hours early, I wonder if that is a bannable offense. Oh well not gonna risk it, I can wait till midnight.
    Another thing I cant stand, glitch players. They use a glitch play they know your defense will fail at. And they know if you dont know how to adjust for it. They will just do the same play after play after play after play. lol. But they're not so crafty on defense and usually only win by spamming.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright gotta head to liquor store and stock up, have a feeling I won't be leaving my house for a few days. Lol. Take care y'all
    +1
    never tried adjusting the clock
    lol. have fun
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa thats awesome you are going to the liquor store
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Deadpoolussy
  • zerodown @ zerodown:
    hello, is there somewhere I can ask moderators to merge threads in a group forum?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @zerodown, Just report your old thread so that mods can remove it.
  • zerodown @ zerodown:
    in fact the thread is not mine but another user's. he removed the content and put the same message in all the threads he created.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, how are you?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry i have to go
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O my 💊💊s! bbl
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O my 💊💊s! bbl