Homebrew WIP My web browser project for Nintendo Switch!

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hi everybody!

First of all, this is just a planned project, it's not sure that it'll be released, and if so it would be ready in a long time, because it's a long project.

In case I wanted to create my own renderer:
- As I did with Brew.js, we already have a way to process and evaluate JavaScript, using duktape embeddable engine.
- We have Gumbo parser, which is a HTML parser, so we can read DOM elements and their attributes.
- I haven't searched for any CSS parser, but I'm sure there are plenty of them for C or C++.
- There are some HTML renderers, but they may be difficult to port, but using SDL2 plus all the interpreters and parsers above, we have the possibility to build a good HTML renderer.
- Using libcurl or any other web libs we can access web files...

Anyway, I may try porting another web browser or renderer, such as librocket or WebKit.

As I said before, this is not a almost-ready project. I've started the development of this idea, but this thread's objective is to speak a bit about this idea.

Last edited by XorTroll,
D

Deleted User

It's a good idea to wait until you have something to show when you announce it, but I'll definitely be following this

D

Deleted User

Wouldn't using the built in API still require some way to circumvent Nintendo's whitelist though?
No, because that seems specific to each html viewer (like the social login can play videos, etc)

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's already a renderer in the Switch firmware, used when you sign into social media and public wifi. Seems fully-featured:

Someone just needs to make a more convenient front-end. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Reactions: Deleted User

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
As I said I'm just trying to do it, it's not a project which I plan definitely to release, I'll do what I can. As @sirAnger said, we won't lose anything if I'm not able to carry on with such a big project.
Btw I'm not asking if I should start this project on this thread, I made it to inform people about the project I plan to develop, because I think many people would enjoy this kind of projects.

Last edited by XorTroll,

XorTroll

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
@XorTroll

I have taken a quick look at doing something similar https://github.com/filfat/SimpleWebNX/
but I still think that you should just use the web applet as soon as that's possible.

(This would mostly be a hobby project to better understand how a browser handles the DOM)

b0VJI0I.png

Last edited by filfat,
Reactions: lordelan

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whit this would be posible to load html5 js games? like the ones made on rpg maker mv?

THIS would be sooooo great! <3

BTW: There is a official RPGMaker MV planed for Nintendo Switch (&PS4, &XBOXone), which will come out in 2019.
You can already preorder it for $59.99 ^___^

Trailer:

But I guess this version will not be able to play the games made on the PC version (or be able to run all those great JS Plugins written by the community..)
But well .. we will see .. :P

Last edited by Shrike,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over