Gaming My Twilight Princess got all messed up, is there anything I can do?

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
There were 3 save files when I got the Wii with the game and since I wasn't sure if my friend who sold this Wii to me would need his saves at some point again I decided to keep the first two.
So my save file was on the 3rd slot and everything worked fine, today I thought I'd move it to the first slot since my friend said he won't need those saves anymore, I deleted his saves from slot 1 and 2 and copied my 3rd slot save to the first, top slot.
I started my game, played as normal but when I had to use the + and - buttons I noticed they wouldn't work, the Home button wouldn't work either.
I tried both the original and backup copy I have and sure enough, same thing on both the home button stops working as soon as the game boots up, I changed my disc drive speed to 6x, turned off the region free options on the WiiKey config thingy and nothing.

The + and - buttons as well as the Home button work fine on the Wii menu and they also work with other games too, I tried Eledees and everything seems fine there.

So I figure something glitched up during the copying process of my save from the 3rd to the 1st save slot, turns out that really is the case, now I can't select my 3rd slot save or the middle empty one and to make things worse the options for earing and copying on the first slot are...disabled.

Good news is I'm maybe 4-5 hours into the game tops, bad news I REALLY am not the type who likes to replay games like this and I don't want to drop this game because it's awesome.
So guys, is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to delete my Twilight Princess save data from the Wii and start over? Also how do I know this won't happen again in the future.

Well I'm never ever copying saves from one slot to another that's for sure.

EDIT: guess I'll just delete my save data, people are reading the topic but nobody's responding so I guess there isn't much that can be done, I'll just star over
frown.gif

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is freaking me out, I deleted the data, started over and everything worked fine.
I saved once or twice and as I was walking around Link's house the controller up and stopped responding again, the cursor wouldn't move, it just went to the top right corner on its own and the home, + and - buttons wouldn't work again yet the analog stick, C, Z and A work fine.

This is worrying me sick, because if the Wii itself is broken theres NO WAY I'm going to be able to prove it to my friend and get my money back and the 250 euros I paid for this system is a month's pay for people in my country
frown.gif

This sucks big time, I never liked the Wii but I decided to give in and get one and now look at whats going on.
I just wish someone would at least have a general idea of what might be wrong so I can tell my friend and return it on time, though he'd probably just get mad at me.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I said I tried it with two versions of the game and with another game, it also works fine on the menu.

Guys...could it be that maybe my controller batteries are dying? I never thought of that, but if they were dying wouldn't I also have problems on the main menu and with other games too?

EDIT: I changed the batteries and it seems fine for now, BUT if it were the battiers then how come it got fixed after I deleted the TP Save data from system memory and how come the controller worked fine with Eledees and the main menu.
Something is way off here and as with most of my more obscure computer and electronics problems I doubt anyone is going to be able to help me.

I don't feel like like playing the Wii now cause I'm afraid it's messed up, maybe I should just finish Lost Odyssey(AWESOME game btw) and play Condemned 2
frown.gif

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now I really don't know what to make of this.
I just checked the old batteries and 3 lights light up on the controller, so the batteries aren't dead yet, assuming this is actually accurate.
I haven't had a problem in the hour or two since I replaced the batteries with new ones, but hell I didn't have so much as a single problem before either.

Is there a way to check if the Wii or the system memory or anything is messed up in some way. Something doesn't seem right and the fact that no one knows what might be wrong is so frustrating
frown.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea is this is something that can be proven or not, but I find that batteries perform slightly better after a period of rest.

So I think its your batteries. And if its not, you can buy a set of Wiimote+Nunchuck from Dealextreme for about 66$ USD, free shipped.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, batteries do perform better after a short rest, I've noticed that with my wireless mice.
hell I'd be more than happy if it's a controller problem too, buying a replacement controller isn't all that bad, but what worries me is that the controller would start messing up right after I'd boot that specific game and deleting the save fixed it which leads me to believe that maybe, at some point someone dropped the Wii and messed up its flash memory or whatever.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami Kiba said:
yeah, batteries do perform better after a short rest, I've noticed that with my wireless mice.
hell I'd be more than happy if it's a controller problem too, buying a replacement controller isn't all that bad, but what worries me is that the controller would start messing up right after I'd boot that specific game and deleting the save fixed it which leads me to believe that maybe, at some point someone dropped the Wii and messed up its flash memory or whatever.
Flash memory != Hard drive

The Wii would break before its memory would.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see
Well, now it works fine even with the old batteries.

I dunno what to do, should I return it to my friend just to be safe or keep it, I don't think he'd be too happy if I returned it, I mean we're pretty close friends, I've known the guy for years and he'd NEVER screw me over on purpose, he probably doesn't even know that the system is messed up, if it is messed up that is.

Is there a homebrew program that could test the memory, controllers and stuff and maybe shed some light on what is actually going on with my system?

EDIT: Well damn, it seems those batteries are messed up after all, so I just threw them out, no problems with the ones I use for my 360 controller whatsoever so far.

A

armand66

Bit late to add to the discussion, but here goes.

I've modded about 15 Wiis for friends, family, and i've actually had a few mates come across the same sort-of problem you had. One mate couldn't access his Lego Star Wars options at all, the home button didn't work, and the batteries showed up as 3 bars, and sometimes no bars. Initially it was only one or two games, and after a while, all games.

It seems, some batteries either die way quickly inside the wiimote, overheat, or have some sort of other issue. Each time, getting new batteries have fixed the problems no worries. I recommended to most to get some good quality rechargables, and no one has had a problem since, at least not that problem lol.

So yeh, wouldn't worry, your Wii isn't nuffed or anything, just probably had some bad quality batteries that weren't "telling the truth" about how much was left in em, or were corrupted in some way.

And yeh, Lost Odyssey and Condemned 2 are both awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy