OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
The problem is so bad.

I have to study for my entrance exam for my Master's but I cant study.
i dunno what the problem is, its not environment or distractions or anything, i cant force myself to study.
even if i put gaming/internet/etc as a prize after studying my materials, i dont care about the prize and still don't study.

i know most of ppl here are younger than me, but i thought you know a way that may help me or at least a way/solution that helped you with similar problem(s).

thnk u all tempers.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
what do you do when you can't be bothered to study? I couldn't imagine you literally sitting there for over half an hour doing absolutely nothing, so whatever it is you should try and avoid it when about to study. That should help as you really don't have any other chance but to study.

Generally for me, once I've been studying for a certain period of time (lets say 20+ mins) I usually get into things and time kinda flies by.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Easiest way to do it is if you've already got a goal. Then you automatically do anything you need to do without much complaint to reach that goal...but that only works if you actually have a goal other than "i got to do it or i won't pass" or something like that
nyanya.gif

Edit: Weeeeeeell just realised that that wasn't really advice...
laugh.gif

Anyways, the hard truth is actually that the you're going to take this exam wether you like it or not, and i guess you don't wanna go in there unprepared and later feeling like a complete idiot and regretting everything. Just sit down, study hard, and when you do the test, you'll feel like the king of the world if you know all the answers
wink.gif
Trust me, i also had a reeeeal hard time studying untill i actually just started to study hard and seeing that it paid of, you get kind of a rush afterwards xD

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
@dice:Problem is that i cant force myself to go-and-sit-there-and-stay-for-that-20-minutes.

i cant force myself. its not that i sit there doing nothing, its that i see my books waiting for me on my desk and i ignore them.

@digiman: the sad thing is, "i dont care if i lose at it". thats why setting the goal of accepting is not motivational. (since i believe the masters are not necessary for me and bachelor is enough, isnt it? how much different there is between a Computer Science bachelor and masters?)

but its the shot i have and i dont want to miss it and i want to pust as hard as i can for it, but i cant help it. i have same problem with my finals, which i just dont study.

its so irritating that you see times passing by and you have no control over yourself.

its like that i am some guy at this person's head and just watching what he is doing, controlling nothing.
remember MIB 1 movie and there was this alien guy which had a smaller alien in his head controlling the body? i'm like that, just watching, no control.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man I remember this feeling, I remember it well...

I found going to bed thinking that the first thing you'll do tomorrow morning is study worked quite well. Get up, have breakfast etc and then get your books out straight away. Put music or the radio on if you like, usually it's an irritating distraction but if I was restless it kept the side of my mind that wanted to wander entertained while the other side studied.

Look at the clock and count how much time you have left. Impending doom is an excellent motivator.

Grab a block of post-it notes. Every time you find yourself doing something else, count the number of distractions by slapping a numbered post-it on it. (this may just make your housemates think you're crazy, but it's kinda fun
happy.gif
) Then look at the clock again.

Remember all you've been through to get to where you are. This one's kinda scary. This is your one chance to make all of that effort worth it. Don't screw it up
smile.gif

Sweets, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, you want it you get it. The more comfortable you feel the less likely you'll want to do something else. Stock up on snack food, you'll need it.

Try studying in different places. Some people like libraries. Personally I find them too quiet, I've got more done sitting on my bed than anywhere near a desk. Living room for a change and some company. (Doesn't quite work if all your lecture notes are on computer though. Laptop?)

Finally, get off the damn internet! Unplug the cable if you have to, having to physically plug it back in works wonders as a deterrant
biggrin.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx ppl speshially Psyfria, but none helped me.
----
i'm really lost.
how come one can not force himself over studying?
----
i donno even enroll for prepration exam classes or not, since i'm afraid of failing to read and waste like 600$. whatr ur opinion?

Mar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
the best way to learn it is to NOT force yourself or let others force you into doing it.

just study when you feel like it.
after a few years pass you will see for yourself that it's better to study and you will.

some people need to be forced into studying, other get forced so hard that it won't work anymore.

calm down chill out. and don't let anyone tell you what to do,

for a short term solution...take your books and go sit somehwere outside under a tree.

try to sit still for at least 10 minutes...when you get the feeling you want to take up a book, do so.

if not, stay still and just sit. enoying the sounds around you, the sky or the sun.

just wait...

this only works in places where there isn't anything else to pay attention to, and you probably on't feel like going outside and sitting somehwere...try it anyway, it'll work.

just don't force yourself and don't be disappointed when you won't listen to yourself, alot of people have this problem.

in a few years you'll get over it.

see ya

mar

TsukoyomiMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I listen to music and relationate things with songs.
Then sing the song and the connection makes you remember.
In a japanese exam I didn`t remember how to say cloudy, I was listening to RE:member by FLOW and guess wut?

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
:/ im doing master of computer science atm.. its interesting to do thesis and learn about new things..

the best way to get u start studying if u remind urself of how stupid u are =D.. try hanging out with smart ppl XD.. and.. well.. I wont be able to study if i do not like the subject, so you have to make sure you study what u like and interested in.. keep remembering of past failures or things that i could have done better usually helps me too.

in high school i used to study things i hate, but the fact that i don't like to be beaten by other ppl got me going.. =P

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
a solution was found.

i found myself reading stuff on my way home/school for last years and ppl at bus would think that as soon as i get home, i'll study to death, but when i got home, i would just not study.

so i realized there is something wrong with my home. donno what it is.
u see, when i'm out i'm not in this aura of not-to-study, atleast, its less.
atleast i can start to study and atleast read like 30 minutes.

so i went out.

i went to a local park and started there, and it was good.
i didnt reach my desired study time (didnt will to do it first time in 10 years!) but atleast i studied there, something that would NEVER happen at home. and it got me feel better.

and to mention, i didnt bring my DS there, actually i play DS more at home in contrast to outside, since ppl look strange and i'm afraid they steal it from me.

there is a local library in that park but i can just use half of the week (they dont allow more!) and i subscribed there i used it once, cannot use it on wednesdays.

thats the story of my 5hours in 3days, today was 1hour, last two days was 2hours each.

and since i fast (muslim's fast) i cannot study as good as possible, cause of lack of fuel for my brain.

and my key is this, GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM.

and i felt this in many ways, whenever i get to our main street, i can go anywhere and do lost of stuff, but back in home, i just skip them.

so as soon as i get out, i'll at least reach some of my goals.

my goal for my entrance program is study 8 hours per day, my brother says 4hours is good, but i dont think so.

------

but other problem still resides there, the pins in the chair.
the problem that when ur sitting on ur chain, u just want to get out, thats another boss to defeat. any soloutions?

today i forced myself, really hard to stay on that bench, it was so hard, but guess what happened! i solved some of problems that i marked to ask my professor about!
smile.gif

if u have any soloutions/tips/tricks, i would love to hear it.

BTW, i found playing GBA much more than DS! i think GBA is much better than my DS, i dont play DS games with it anymore, i found myself always going to GBA menu!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1