My PSP Imploded

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by sekhu, Aug 12, 2010.

Aug 12, 2010

My PSP Imploded by sekhu at 8:34 PM (2,112 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Was in the middle of a game when this happened:

[​IMG]

what are my options in order to get this fixed. i'm in the uk, it's a year old and out of warranty. this is my third psp.

thanks

2. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    It just... happened?

3. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    yeah i was just playing a game, and then the screen just went like that. i didn't drop it, or shake it or anything. pretty annoyed

4. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Er... that does not look like something that just "happens" lol. But if you say so.

It looks like a broken, shattered LCD screen. the only option is a full replacement.

you can get one cheapest here.

It is a slim, 2000 PSP, right? if not you can get a 1000 screen on the same store. I dunno about 3000 screens. the last time I checked a 3000 screen was a good 80 bucks.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    screens dont just break like that by them selves
    there had to be a ton of pressure in the middle for it to do that

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You can get a new LCD for around £20 for a PSP 1000, or probably find someone to do it for you although that'd be more expensive.

7. Leamonde.Halcyon

Member Leamonde.Halcyon 6x9=42

United States
    Hey it's possible. If the screen is brittle or stressed in any way, just the handling of the PSP could potentially be the breaking point. Point in case, our car. After a drastic temperature change overnight, my mom got in the car and pulled the door closed and the back window...well, imploded.

8. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Yeah. that's why I didn't call this guy crazy or call shenanigans because it is possible that this happened due ot a situation like that lol. Either way his story does not matter guys the point is it's broken so help him find the cheapest place lol.

Dealextreme is the cheapest I know of. You can take a risk on ebay too cheaper but it may have dead pixels (like the few I got off of there did everytime).

9. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    thanks for the suggestions guys, and i know it might be hard to believe but i really did nothing to make that happen. dont think it was a temperature thing. it's a refurbished psp from sony, as i said had it for a year.

so is screen replacement difficult? or should i just buy a used one or another refurb from sony. sony chrage nearly £60 roughly for a replacement

thanks

10. FlashX007

Newcomer FlashX007 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That does not look like it just happened sorry but that is just my opinion. Maybe you played a game and got frustrated and did something to it causing that. What sucks is Sony does not operate like Nintendo and by that I mean repair services and etc. Nintendo has a customer service which can repair systems and I have tried looking for the same treatment by Sony and I could not find nothing. Not even a number of any kind. Once your system is broken you have to either find a way or say goodbye.

11. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I'll call shenanigans. I've seen enough busted LCDs and did one to myself before. If you twisted it or squeezed the body in general it'll be a random pressure fracture. That there I did years ago on a GB on accident as it slipped onto the corner of a table point and the impact was identical to that. Seems something with a good corner, pointy type edge to it did it.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'd like to remember all of you that PSPs have a THICK plastic layer on top of the screen, and that one doesn't seem damaged in any way.

Now, unless you're suggesting that he opened his PSP and then crashed in frustration on a table corner...

I'm with Leamonde.Halcyon's suggestion. LCDs can get quite hot, and it might have imploded because of that.

13. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    Ok guys, I think we've got the whole "u d1d 0n purp0s3!" thing out of our systems now.

He said that it happened out of the blue, so let's just believe him and move on.

How it broke isn't the important matter here, it's how he's going to fix it. Buying a new one seems like your only option...

14. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Actually, changing the LCD would be the best option, especially if he can do it himself. Fully hackable PSPs (like 1000s and even worse early 2000s) are getting rarer and rarer, and it might be difficult to find another one.

If you don't feel confident enough to do it, just take it to some shop which repairs consoles, but be prepared to be charged hefty fees for that (even $100 or more).

15. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    i cant believe i just accidentally my entire psp?

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If it wasn't a broken screen then it makes for some cool looking wallpaper.

17. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    i've ordered a new psp-1000 screen from dealextreme, thanks for the suggestions.

i just tried to dismantle and reassemble my psp, and the screen is not cracked on the inside either. but i'm pretty confident that I can repair the psp now after my practice run.

cheers

18. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    OMG how did that just happen i was suprised to see the screenshow and how you said you didnt do anything to it now im Wondering if my PSP will do the same but back on topic

i see you Order it already but are you sure its a 1000 i though the Silver PSP were 2000 Series correct me if im Wrong anyways i hope you get your Problem Fix and im sorry this happen to you.

19. bason230

Member bason230 GBAtemp Regular

Vietnam
    That did happen to me. And yeah, had to replace the screen.

20. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Do want, that'd look awesome.